Author Topic: Advice  (Read 1595 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Advice
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 20:21:57 PM »
Often if we are familiar with our animals we don't notice gradual changes in weight, so it may simply be that the owner is unaware there is a problem. Maybe put a note saying you had noticed he had lost weight, and maybe a trip to the vet might be in order (with your phone number). I would appreciate it if someone did that whereas i might get a bit shirty if they just 'told' me.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 20:15:25 PM »
Something funny happened today !!

The punpkin came round for his 2 plates of food today, he has a stupid non -safety collar on so i put that in the bin
anyway, he settled down on the sofa and was all cozy and warm, we had to pop out so i decided to leave him where he was....
but we were out for longer than i had though
When we got back he was no-where to be seen....the only window open was my son's bedroom one so he must have jumped out of it !!!
I searched the garden convinced he must have broken all his legs in the jump but he want there...so take it he is ok

I have now got a safety collar ready for when he next comes round and i'm going to put my phone number on it

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
You know what you are going to do Michelle  :hug:

If the man gets stroppy, point out that he has certain responsibilities under the new Animal Welfare Act. You could even print him something out  :shify:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:24:15 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 00:06:32 AM »
I would maybe take him to the vets and get them to write out a note saying whats wrong with him, then you can send the note on Pumpkins collar. He will have to do something and he must believe it as its from the vets, its wether he does do anything though.

I dont know Michelle it obviously sounds like he is not getting looked after, will this be cat no.14 for you  :evillaugh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 17:30:17 PM »
Think I would speak to him see what he says.  At least Pumpkin has you looking out for him!

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 13:32:28 PM »
I remember the story

I know what I would do. ;)
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 13:10:37 PM »
It can't do any harm to talk to him about it can it???  I'd say its worth a try at the very least?

you never know he could well be a caring owner just doesn't quite understand the care needed or not very observant and god knows there are a lot of people like that out there who are cat owners!?  perhaps he just needs some gentle educating??  yuo don't know unless you try.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 13:07:44 PM »
Hi Michelle

How do you know Pumpkins age?  I'm trying to get a handle on whether the owner cares about him but is not aware of probs or doesn't give a hoot.  What's your view?

If he telephoned you, put a collar on him and told you Pumpkin's age, perhaps he does care a bit in which case another note in his collar asking him to ring you again as you think P may have a problem?  Not sure how awkward the last telehone conversation was but medicating someone else's cat without giving them the chance to do it themselves is a tricky one. 

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
Yes I think I would.

(Bet the owner is hoping you're take him to the vets and get it sorted!)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:51:42 PM by Leanne »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
About 3yrs ago a ginger cat turned up at my house. He wasnt neutered but was friendly and moved himself in lol
Anyway, i rang all local vets, put notices up but no-one came forward for him so i got him neutered and he stayed with us for about 6wks.
Then one day he disappeared....he turned back up a couple of weeks later with a collar on  :wow: So i put my phone number on it.
A few days later a man rang saying his cat had my phone number on him .......I explained what had happened and also said i had neutered him (the man wasnt impressed)

Right to get to my point  :evillaugh:
Pumpkin (as i call him) still pops round now and then for food....He has just been in and eaten a whole large can of food !!!
He is quiet skinny and each time i see him he seems to have lost more weight, he is an older cat 13yrs old so chances are he might have a thyroid problem, he also seems to have ear mites.
I will get some stronghold and next time i see him will put it on him but i think the ear mites and quiet bad and really he needs the daily treatment with the ointment.

Shall i put my phone number on his collar again or just a note saying about the ear mites and the possible Thyroid problem ?

Link to CatChat