Author Topic: Odd cat behaviour  (Read 2490 times)

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
Re: Odd cat behaviour
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 18:32:07 PM »
Gia, thank you so much for replying. It's good to know that Buster's not the only cat with this issue. At least your vet ventured an opinion. I too have decided not to take it any further unless it becomes more of a problem. Like Gizmo, Buster's career goals are more of a professional sleeper than a heavy goods operator. Good luck to Gizmo. :thanks:

Definitely a professional sleeper  ;D

He is currently slumbering in his hammock, soaking up all the radiator heat  ;D

I agree, no need to do anything unless it becomes a problem. Apparently cats who are a little highly strung tend to be prone to these petit mals.

Gia
xxx
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 18:45:26 PM by gia »

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 07:22:48 AM »
Gia, thank you so much for replying. It's good to know that Buster's not the only cat with this issue. At least your vet ventured an opinion. I too have decided not to take it any further unless it becomes more of a problem. Like Gizmo, Buster's career goals are more of a professional sleeper than a heavy goods operator. Good luck to Gizmo. :thanks:

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 20:52:28 PM »
Hi

My Gizmo has exactly the same thing after he has been sick. Like Buster it rarely happens and he sort of keels over in the same posture. Like you say it is over too quick to take him to the vets.

I have discussed with with the vet tho and they feel it is a petit mal (small seizure) They saw no need to do further tests or put him on medication as it hapens so infrequently and it;s not like he operates machinery etc.

Hope this helps
Gia
xxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 19:24:06 PM »
I wish I could remember more details but I'm sure someone more useful will come here shortly.

PS Buster is a great name!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 19:13:57 PM »
:welcome:

I don't know the answer myself, but someone on here was asking about exactly the same thing a little while ago.  I can't remember who it was or how the discussion developed  :doh: but people will have some thoughts for you, for sure.

What is your little fella's name?

Hi Christine, He's called Buster and he is the best thing that ever happened to me ( well not including my other cat who died 2 years ago). I will have a look through the site to see if I can find the other posting. Thanks for your respsone and thank you to Nick also. Lesley :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »
 :welcome:

I don't know the answer myself, but someone on here was asking about exactly the same thing a little while ago.  I can't remember who it was or how the discussion developed  :doh: but people will have some thoughts for you, for sure.

What is your little fella's name?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:18:48 AM »
Hi welcome to Purrs .
Sorry that your first post is such an unhappy one.

I am sure you will have lots of ideas throughout the day. One thought that occurred to me is that he might be suffering some sort of seizure , especially if he goes a little rigid at the time . My Peanut suffers with furballs and he gets quite stressed by a coughing fit . I could imagine choking must be very traumatic for a little cat.

Hope he's better now

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Odd cat behaviour
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:09:01 AM »
Hello, my 14 year old, male indoor cat is usually very healthy. Like most cats, he occasionally vomits which I don't consider to be unusual as it tends to be a furball or grass. However, very occasionally after vomiting or trying to, he goes very still, like a little statue. He's neither floppy nor rigid. He did it yesterday and, when I touched him, he sort of just keeled over but remained in the same posture. His eyes are open and he's absolutely not moving but is breathing. I carried him downstairs and put him on the floor and within a minute or two he was fine. Over the years I have seen this happen maybe 6 times, otherwise he's a very healthy little guy. The vet was mystified and, it's not something that gives us time to get him to the vet when it does happen. It's really quite difficult to describe - you really have to be there! Has anyone seen this before? :help:

Link to CatChat