Author Topic: Vaccination help  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Vaccination help
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:39:01 AM »
It should also be done in a different place each year to reduce the risk of a sarcoma.

I didn't know that, I'll make sure to get that done in future then. Thanks!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 07:52:22 AM »
Lottie - most American vets do give the rabies in the leg, the reason is because it does have a higher risk of sarcoma, and it is easier to remove if the injection is done on the leg rather than the neck. It should also be done in a different place each year to reduce the risk of a sarcoma.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
Our vets give the FeLV injection toeards the back of a cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 22:22:31 PM »
There seems to be a lot of articles on the internet at the moment suggesting that the FeLV injection is given in the back left leg. I`ve never heard of this before.

Some vets are apparently giving rabies jabs in the back leg now as well rather than in the scruff.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 17:18:37 PM »
No problem, i hope it all turns out to be ok.

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 17:02:25 PM »
Thanks Amanda

I've still been in 2 minds since I wrote the post but I think you've swayed my mind to take him back down again just incase.  My mum was speaking to her Persian breeder friend and she said not to worry about it as she's had lots that have had this reaction which is why she's stopped having the FELV jab done at the same time.  I'd never forgive myself though if it did turn out to be a sarcoma and I didn't take him down early enough.

Thanks again
One can never have too many cats.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 16:52:39 PM »
Hi Charlotte,

I would get this checked out to be on the safe side. Sometimes it can just be that there is a bit of a haematoma at the site which should go down over a few days but because of the risk of the injection site sarcoma it is best to go back to the vet.

It does sound a bit too soon to be a sarcoma as i thought that it comes on around two months later but anything is possible! I hope everything is ok and please do let us know how you get on.

There seems to be a lot of articles on the internet at the moment suggesting that the FeLV injection is given in the back left leg. I`ve never heard of this before.

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
Vaccination help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 16:40:57 PM »
Hello all

It's been yonks since I've been on here (so busy with the dog walking/cat cuddling at the mo) so I hope you're all well, I have a bit of a vaccs worry.  Paddy went down to have his boosters on the 5th Jan inc FELV and I noticed last night that he has now developed a lump where he had the jab.  Now has anybody else experienced this and found that it was just a normal reaction or should I take him down to see the vet?  To be honest with you I did take him down this morning but the vet. nurse said the waiting time was already 45 mins and that it did sound like just a reaction to the vaccs, plus when the vet came out it wasn't my normal one, so all these things led me to take Pad home again.  He's fine in himself, eating, drinking, behaving like a loon.  I expect I'm just being an over cautious mum but I've read about vaccine site fibrosarcoma so am a bit worried.

If anybody can shed any light I'd be dead grateful

Charlotte
One can never have too many cats.

Link to CatChat