Author Topic: BELLA'S RESULTS TODAY  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: BELLA'S RESULTS TODAY
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »
Am so pleased to hear she has perked up.
Helen I know you dont want to go down the fortekor route but you might want to ask the vet about Istin, it does the same job as fortekor and kept Cleo going for an extra 11 months before her kidneys totally failed.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »
Aww, I am glad she has had a good day today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 21:28:18 PM »
Helen,

So pleased tohear Bella is eating and drinking again andis getting lots of love and special time with her mummy.  She was probably licking your tears because she didn't want to see her mummy upset and was telling you how much she loved you  :catluv:

I hope you and Bella have lots more happy snuggley days together.

Sending lots of love and best wishes to your both and hope your toothache goes away soon.

Take care hun.

Sam xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
BELLA MUCH BETTER TODAY
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 20:58:41 PM »
Hello all and thanks again for your kind words and good wishes to Bella

She has had a fantastic day today, eaten loads and drunk loads and we had sooooooooooooo many cuddles. Her and Milo slept in with me last night (much to Daisy and Ell's disgust) I did let her Elle suck my chin before I locked them out though lol

I have made my mind up that she wont be having anymore tablets. I actually also spoke to my horse vet today and she said the same that they can make them very sleepy and even more so because of her age......so no more i cant afford for her to lose another day where she doesnt  drink

If any of you have any rescue cats or cats that need to have the tablets they are paid for by my insurance and if you PM your address I will post them to you free of charge

I have a  :censored: toothache today and two coldsores so look like something off shrek.....but im the happiest mummy of Bella fur baby as she hasnt stopped purring all day long

Will keep you all posted on her progress and thankyou all for being such lovely lovely people

:hug: :hug: :hug: from Bella to all my fans

Helen

xxxxxx
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 21:26:24 PM by smudgepickles »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »
How is Bella today, Helen?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:03 AM »
That is good news, and fingers crossed today is a better day for you both. I wouldn't have worried too much about her licking your tears - she might have needed the salt in them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 00:00:36 AM »
Oh that is wonderful. Love to Bella  :ahh:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 23:18:11 PM »
I had to let you all know before I went to bed......AGAIN!!

I was laying crying with Bella on my pillow and she woke up and started to purrrrrrrrrr. she got up and started to lick my face because of my tears (i had to stop her because of the salt) she has just eaten a little and drunk a little and is now fast asleep on my lap again

Im 99% sure it was the tablet and Im not going to give them to her again.....maybe Im right or maybe im wrong but we lost a precious day today and I want every one with her happy

Thankyou all for being the nicest kind of people in the world

Purrssssss and head kisses from Bella

xxxxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 22:23:45 PM »
Fingers crossed that she has a better day tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 22:20:34 PM »
Poor Bella, hopefully a night with her Mum will perk her up.  If she is dehydrated you could ask your vet for some rehydration support sachets, they are a powder that you mix in normal water and it replaces the electrolytes which are lost in dehyrdation.

Hope to hear that Bella is back chasing leaves tomorrow....

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 22:08:09 PM »
Hi Helen

I tried everything with her today to make her eat and drink but she was far to depressed and sleepy. I spoke to them again tonight as I was so distressed that she had lost a precious day of her life and they said the tablets unfortunatly can do this.

The sleeping part of it I could cope with as she is 25 but its that she hadnt drunk enough at all. the cats have about 10 water bowls  and 3 pint glasses as they are high so she doesnt have to bend so much around the house. I also tried tempting her with normal milk, cat milk and Tuna juice none of which she would touch

I had boiled some chicken earlier and blended it but she didnt want to know that either. Lets hope the tablets get out of her system by tomorrow and she starts o drink

I have been on a rollercoaster ride today, elated that Stella was found but so, so distressed about Bella.Im exhausted

Im going to just have Bella and Milo in my room tonight I know Elle my kitten will be sad as she goes to sleep sucking my chin but I just want some me, Bella and Milo time tonight

Thankyou all again for your lovely kind words, they do genuinly mean such a lot

Helen

xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 21:57:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bella is not feeling too good today.  I have to agree with Desley though, there's a possibility it could have been a coincidence, when Tiggy is quiet and doesn't want to eat/drink it's normally due to her having excess stomach acid and feeling nauseous.  Was Bella 'smacking' her lips at all?  Did you try taking food to her?  If so how did she react?  If Tiggy is nauseous and I put food in front of her she literally turns her head away as though she can't bear to look at it.

You have to do what is right for Bella and if that means stopping the tablets then so be it but maybe you could ask your vet if this is a possible side effect and whether her feeling poorly could be attributed to the tablets before you decide for definite whether to stop them.

A little tip for getting Bella to drink if she's not feeling up to it...  I get tuna in brine and squeeze all the 'juice' out, I then mix the dry tuna with quite a bit of normal water.  It makes a lovely sloppy tuna juice mix and even if Bella doesn't feel like eating she may lap the juice from the bowl.  Also you could poach some chicken breast and offer her the cooled chicken water, this perked Tiggy up a few months ago when she was feeling poorly.

Really hope Bella perks up soon and that you are being woken for a fuss.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 21:22:05 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed for her and I hope the fluids help. It may not have been the tablets though, it may just be coincidence, I would have another chat with the vet to see if this is a common side effect.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 21:09:00 PM »
Sadly I know just how you are feeling, try to imagine that today she has enjoyed beautiful dreams.
The dose sounds right, they have obviously brought her blood pressure down too much, think if you can get some fluid into her it will help.
Sending prayers and positive vibes your way

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 20:11:08 PM »
Thanks teresa pawcats

The dose I have for her is  2.5 mg once a day, it definatly was the tablet thats made her so weary as she ALWAYS wakes me about 8 times a night for a fuss and she didnt wake once in the night...

Thankyou too blip all this kindness means a lot......she is a real chatter cat but hasnt spoken to me all day so im feeling really sad as its a day wasted of what little time she has left

my poor baby Bell  :'( :'( :'( :'(

xxxxx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 20:04:33 PM »
Poor Bella hope she will perk up soon.

Can I ask you to check the dosage as one of my golden oldies was once given the stronger dose in error and he slept the whole weekend.
Trying to remember think it should be the Fortekor 2.5 and is 1 tab for 5-10 kg in weight, can check it for you if need be.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 19:43:33 PM »
I won't interfere with duff advice, as I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone who knows better will come on asap.  I'd just like to bump this up and offer support  :hug:

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 19:38:48 PM »
She still has not drunk very much at all and doesnt want a fuss. Usually she is on my lap as much as she can or just sitting on my computer desk.
I havent left the house today and havent even been to see my horses (I got my groom to see to them today) I couldnt bare to be out incase she woke up for a cuddle

I wish I knew how long those  :censored: tablets would take to get out of her system, does anyone know? Im going to have to syringe water down her later if she doesnt wake up enough to drink herself

Thanks for all your kindness, what did I do without you all before

xxxx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 17:29:04 PM »
Hi Smudgepickles,

Just caught up with this thread.  Sorry to hear that Bella is not doing so well at the moment but do not blame yourself for trying to give her the Fortekor.  I would say that you must do what you think is right, you know your cat better than anybody.
Best of luck, thinking of you both. xx

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 16:59:41 PM »
I think you are right and hope that Bella perks up again after the tablet has gone through her system. Do not blame yourself cos you did it on advice of the vet and I agree at 25yrs old Bella deserves a quality of life for the rest of her time  :hug: :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 16:41:03 PM »
Bella has had a really bad day today. I decided to give the tablet a try last night and she took it as good as gold. Unfortunatly she has been very down today and has slept most of the day which meant she hasnt drunk enough and eaten very little. I spoke to the vets and they said give her a few days on the tablets.

I have decided she wont be having anymore tablets. Up until yesterday she was drinking loads so obviously keeping her kidneys hydrated and playing at times with her leafs and scratch pads  today she has drunk hardly anything and been asleep all day. Thats no quality of life for my baby Bell is it

I think having got to 25 she hasnt done to bad and I want her to go with dignity. I hate myself today as i feel responsible for her being in the airing cuboard all day as that means she feels unwell  :'( :'( :'( as I gave her the tablet

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 00:05:58 AM »
Jess sends furry headbutts to you and all your kitties.

I guess with the tablet, you could offer her one and if she doesn't like it, just leave it.
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 22:57:28 PM »
I know its very hard but try not to wish away, yours and Bellas time together. Try to be just so happy that she is with you and enjoy her doing all the things she loves doing. Take each day at a time, every next day is a bonus, although she sounds like she is doing so well  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 20:53:52 PM »
 25 wow! Purrs & Prayers!

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 19:09:13 PM »
Thankyou all again for your suggestions and your kind words

I have now officially made Bella a boozer, I have put down 3 pint glasses and she likes not having to bend down lol We have had another good day and she wants soooooooooo much fuss its unbelievable.....Im loving it. She always has been chatty but seems even more so lately. My daughter made me cry today as she said "its her way of saying I love you so much Mummy and thankyou for looking after me"

Gizmo seems practically ok now so Im hoping he will stay that way.

Im really worried about Milo though as him and Bella sleep together all the time and they love each other so much. I keep thinking he will be so distressed when Bella isnt here, it was bad anough while she had to stay at the vets........why is life so complicated and worrying with animals although the fun and happiness my fur babies bring  outweighs all that

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 23:56:33 PM »
It may help Bella if you raise up her feeding dish, I used to put kockas on top of a pack of coke cans cos it was just the righht height.

She also used to drink a lot but also used to pay with the water and splash it every where. She would put her paws in and then flip the water every where. I wonder on reflection if it was cos she was not able to drink enough  but I never knew the reason. She was on no medication cos I couldnt get tablets into her at all.

Like you it made me so happy when she did something like she used to, with her it was kicking a ping pong ball in the garden and chasing it..............only would do it once then was tired.

bella just sounds so wonderful amd I treasure those hugs from her  ;D ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 23:13:04 PM »
Glad Bella is feeling perky today, 25 years young and playing with a leaf  ;D 

While drinking excessively is often what prompts someone to take their cat to the vet to be checked (it was in my case) it is not necessarily a bad thing.  Tiggy drinks almost a full deep bowl per day, she is drinking that much in an attempt to keep herself hydrated, it's when she can no longer physically drink enough to keep herself hydrated that she will deteriorate so all the while Bella can keep herself hydrated she should feel OK.

The tablets your vet talked about may be Fortekor ( I say that as they are very similar texture and taste to the yeast vitamin tablets you can get from pet shops).  Have a look at this link from the CRF site... http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#ACEI  They are not a miracle cure and may not be suitable for all cats but Tiggy is doing very well on them and her numbers have decreased at every blood test and are now in the normal range.  They are palatable (supposedly!) but I always poke them in half a defurrum treat and she gobbles it it up.

The ulcers in the mouth which your vet has said to look out for are caused by excess stomach acid.  Tiggy suffers quite badly from this although she doesn't have ulcers as I am controlling it using a tablet and a herbal remedy.  If Bella does start to get excess stomach acid have a look at this link.... http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#controlling_stomach_acid  It has sections on both the tablets and Slippery Elm Bark which is a herbal remedy that you mix with a little bit of food.  Another thing that helps Tiggy is to raise her water bowl so that she does not get an acid reflux when she bends her head down to drink from it.

Tiggy sends a gentle head kiss to Bella (ooh and one for Milo too!) xx

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 22:39:17 PM »
Im totally overwhelmed by all your wonderful messages...Thankyou,Thankyou Thankyou

Bella has had a very good day today and although drinking for England, no other poorly signs today. This morning she was playing with a leaf in the garden, only for a couple of mins but it made me so happy

I read the  CRF site, thanks for the link to you all. Im still confused about how can she seem so well at the moment, proberbly better than before this all started just before christmas....apart from drinking so much (especially today) .....does anyone have any idea what time I am likely to have left with her.

The vet said to look out for ulcers in her mouth and he wants me to give her a tablet that tastes to them like a yeast tablet but she hates being given tablets and I dont want to distress her if she is beyond anything really helping

Im sorry to keep asking questions

Thankyou all again for all your lovely thoughts and kisses for Bella  :hug: :hug: :hug:

LOVE FROM BELLA TO YOU ALL  :hug: :hug:

from Milo for being so kind to my sister Bells  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 19:24:39 PM »
Awwww, poor old girl.  :(

But 25 is a wonderful age for her to reach. I think your plan to cherish each moment you get with her is exactly the right way to think. A lot of humans truly don't realise how honoured we are to share our homes with animals. I bet Bella knows she is absolutely adored! Give her a head tickle/chin scratch/ear rub(whichever's favourite!) from me. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 18:15:30 PM »
 :hug: to you Smudge and a nice ear scratch to Bella. 25 is, as Gill says, a stunning age and a great tribute to your love and care.

Good news about Gizmo...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
Aww, I am sorry things weren't better - constipation is a sign of CRF though, you could try adding more fluids to her food, and it might help a bit. I would read the CRF site, and there maybe some things you can do for her. Good luck, and do cherish each day you have with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug: to you and Bella
love
Tab

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 00:43:08 AM »
Unfortunately, I really do know how you feel.
Love to you & Bella,

J.
x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 23:53:05 PM »
I can only echo what Gill has said, Bella sounds like a wonderful girl.

Not sure if you have seen this site but it has lots of info about CRF www.felinecrf.org

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 23:50:48 PM »
So sorry to hear this news but Bella still sounds like she is going strong and like you say you will know when Bella wants to go to the Bridge.

I hope you still have a lot of happy time together and 25 is a stunning age  :hug: :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
BELLA'S RESULTS TODAY
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 23:33:29 PM »
Not good news I'm afraid today....the samples the vet sent to be done urine, bloods etc have come back that Bella has Chronic renal failure, I don't understand this though, she seems very happy and although constipated seems quite well certainly hasn't lost her purrrrrrrrrrr

They gave me several options all of which I opted out of, my little princess is 25 and I'm not putting her through anything. As I said before I always promised all my cats I would let them go with dignity and as soon as Bella lets me know its time then I will take her to the vet on her journey to Rainbow bridge.

I know she is 25 and I have cared for her soooo much since I rescued her but the thought of the empty space and Milo losing his sister is breaking my heart....they said they cant say how long I have with her but I'm going to take each day as it comes and cherish everyday I have

Gizmo's seems to be feeling better today and actually went out to play

Thankyou all

xxx

Link to CatChat