Author Topic: Pregnant cat's nipples are weird  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Pregnant cat's nipples are weird
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 22:42:49 PM »
Sorry the vet visit wasn't more helpful, take it he didn't give you any advice on how far gone she was? I agree with Gill, maybe someone on here can recommend someone better.
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 17:39:29 PM »
Hi Ruba,

Lovely to have an update on Mina and really glad that she is in good health, sorry about the rough treatment from your Vet this is not what you deserve, you are paying for a service and you should be made to feel that you are a client and receiving good value for money.  However, as you say the next time you go you will probably see somebody different so there may be little point in moving, unless of course you really want to.

My Cleo had three litters and I have had two (singles) so if you want any info regarding the pregnancy or birth just holler.

Best of luck   xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 17:10:10 PM »
What part of London are you in Ruba, cos there maybe somone who can recommend a better vet.............I agree with you I would not be going back there.

I lived in Streatham up to 2years ago so if you anywhere near there I know of  a vet and if you in the brixton /clapham area I know of one of the best doctors practices around.  ;D

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 16:56:01 PM »
Hi all, sorry about the wait!

Been at the vets today, and yes, she is pregnant, and the nipples seem to be normal.  ;D
I'm not too pleased with the visit, I have to say the vet was very curt and grumpy, I had to keep asking questions and he would not say much or recomend any special care, even if I said I knew little about cat pregnancy and such.  He was a bit rough in her handling, I had to step in as I felt Mina was panicking, and he seemed annoyed at my meddling. The cheek.   Won't be going there again!  Although the vets there are always changing, I went with a freind before a few times and there was always someone else.  I choose them in the end because the'te very near and Mina loathes the transporter, plus my friend uses them.  I would so like to find a good vet who is guaranteed to b e there next time too!!!  Muy friend has the same problem. (she has a dog)

I guess I'm used to long waits!  Sad, really.  I can see by your answers that you're very lucky in your postcode lottery!!!  In London (at least the part where I live) long waits are the rule, I actually called 3 local vets and all said today, unless the cat is suffering, near death danger.
I have to say she doesn't look like she's suffering at all, she eats and sleeps, and runs around, she wakes me up at 4a.m. to play, and she's so cute I don't even mind!  I just get up and play her favourite: she hides behind the curtains, and I move the curtains with a ruler, that she takes great pride in catching straight away, from the other side!  She can go on for hours, jumping around on her back legs like a little bunny! 
My eyes are still close at that time, and my curtains have seen better days, but she's so happy, I figure a mum to be needs special treatment  :)

In fact I thought the wait wasn't that long: my GP doesn't take any appointments, her month is full already on the first of the month-no, I'm not kidding!- If I insist wanting to see her, then I have to call in every day at 8 am to check if anyone's cancelled, (rare event) or see a trainee doctor in two weeks time.
I've already changed GP twice, no better service is available.  In emergencies, see the A&E department!!

I guess my area of London has a BAD overcrowding problem.

Mina  has the brightest wide eyes, full of mischief, and she would never sit on my lap, never!  Nor anyone elses, relly,
To her Human=Play!
If I stroke her gently whlie she's cleaning herself she will clean my hand though, very mumsy of her.
Her nipples are growing in size and during the weekend I tried to bribe her into being a good girl and let me wipe them with a cotton bud wet with warm water, she let me (for a short time)and the dark spot came off a little, so I assume it's either blood (thwe cotton bud was slightly pink) or dirt of some kind.  Strange, because she cleans herself regularly.  She loves freeze dried chicken treats (the most expensive available, of course!) and will give in a minute or two of her time for one piece!

The vet didn't coment on the nipple crust, just said she's fine!  No comment about what could the dark marks be...
I got more advice from you guys! :thanks:
I was thinking of booking with someone else, I know she's all right in generall terms but I want details and advice, other than internet and books, well what doyou think?

Thanks again!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 19:32:41 PM »
the crusting you describe around the nipple area is quite normal and i bet its a wee bit waxy aswell, its simply the nipples preparing themselves for lactation..in women we have "Montgomery glands"(the bumpy bits)  all around the Areola and these also produce an oily waxy substance most heavily in pregnancy and lactation so i would guess its pretty similar in cats.

in any case if this is a new cat to you and you believe she is pregnant a vet exam is never a bad thing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 21:29:06 PM »
Fingers crossed for her, I do hope it is nothing serious, and the vet can also confirm if she is truly pregnant, and not something else.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 15:40:15 PM »
My vets are good, i can phone and say its an emergency

Thats how it should be. On Monday Badger was sick after his tea then he just lay down and did not look right, I phoned the vet immediately and the told me to take him straight away.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 15:36:50 PM »
My vets are good, i can phone and say its an emergency and i would be seen straight away. Next Tuesday is worse than what my own NHS surgery would offer me!

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:46 AM »
Hi again Ruba,

I am in agreement with Ela....Tuesday is a long wait to see a vet.  I can usually see my vet on the same day or if not urgent and I want to pick a time, the next day.

If Mina is really ill, time could be of the essence. 

She might not even be pregnant but if her tummy is becoming round and perhaps bloated, she might be ill with something else much more serious.

I would have another talk with your vet or as Ela has suggested, find another one who is more amenable.

Good luck....keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
seems ages, doesn't it?  nothing sooner

That is a disgrace that you cannot have an appointment until next Tuesday, Is there no other vet in the area you can visit?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:43:05 AM by Ela »

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »
Good morning Ruba and welcome to Purrs,

I am really pleased that your Mina has such a kind and caring new owner. 
Those pictures are really clear and wonderful, they look ok to me.
I think it unlikely to be mastitis, I have had mastitis myself, rock hard purple boob, agony, I think mastsitis usually occurs after you start breastfeeding, not before.

What I think it might be, dont know if you have ever been pregnant yourself?
During pregnancy the boobs grow and nipples change shape, mainly hormonal and you can get uncomfortable feeling inside the boob like a stretching sensation, almost like something pricking from the inside, I dont know if I am describing this properly but that is what I felt.  Sometimes you can get little uncomfortable sensations during ovulation but not everybody experiences this.
I think your cat is feeling such a sensation which can at times be quite painful but not harmful.

However, all that being said, you know your cat better than anybody and if you are concerned I think you should stress for an appointment before Tuesday.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
Hi, all right finally I managed to write again!  I'm not a PC wizz!

Thanks for the welcoem!

Mina eats both dry and moist food, and the nipples don't feel hard or anything, just the colour doens't look right and the scabby tip.

I've booked a vet appointmet but I'd love to learn what it could be...are there any photographic resources on cat illnesses?

I don't think she's pregnant long as her tummy is not that swollen, just about rounder than the rest of her.  Poor sweetie, she licks her nipples suddenly, as if they itched out of nowhere, and I tried wiping them with a cotton pad and warm water but she's kind of difficult to hold in position, if you knwo what I mean!  I guess  she doesn't know me that well yet.

I hope she will be ok, I'm worried because of her preganncy that treating her titties will be harmful to the kittens...
Oh, well, I'll just have to wait to see the vets!  Next week Tuesday (seems ages, doesn't it?  nothing sooner)

Thanks again and I'll post agsin on this topic.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 00:31:31 AM »
As others have said i would take her to the vet to get this checked out. I haven`t heard of a pregnant queen drinking like a fish but others may disagree. What do you feed her? If it`s dry food then she will drink a fair amount but not lots and lots.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 20:50:34 PM »
Hi Ruba (and Mina)

A warm welcome to Purrs  :welcome:

Sadly, all the people who know about pregnant queens don't seem to be online tonight but I would definitely take Mina to your vet for a check up asap.  Problems with nipples can often be very nasty.

How many weeks pregnant is she, do you think?

You also say that she drinks like a fish.... that sounds worrying too (unless it is normal in pregnancy).

Hopefully, one of the rescue or foster mums will be on here shortly and will be able to help you out.  Like Sam I have no knowledge of pregnant queens.

I hope young Mina will be okay.  Please keep us posted.

Best wishes to you both

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 20:35:35 PM »
Does the nipple or surrounding area feel really hard ? does it feel hot to the touch ?
Could be Mastitis

I would pop her along to your vet for a quick check

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 20:25:51 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs.

Sorry I have no experience of pregnant cats but I would suggest taking her to the vet for a quick check.  Sorry I can't be any more help and please keep us informed.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 18:07:10 PM »
I think you should discuss this with your vet ASAP

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
Pregnant cat's nipples are weird
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 17:01:55 PM »
 :scared:
Hi, this is my first time here.  I've adopted a cat from a neighbour who was moving away, and now it turns out she's pregnant (the cat not the neighbour!).
I've never had a pregnant cat before and I'm a bit worried about the nipple area, it seems to have turned dark and she licks it often.  There is also a kind of scab, around the tip.
here are pics:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/rubala/Nipple2.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/rubala/Nipple.jpg

the only other pregnant queen I've seen before in my life had pink, healtht nipples and this is worrying me, so I wad wondering if anyone here nows what it could be, by the look of it.
Could it be a parasite?  Is this normal, and I'm fretting over nothing?  Should I see the vet for this?
I'm worried that the kittens won't be able to get the milk if her nipples have a problem.  Mina (cat's name) is otherwise perfectly healthey, shiney, eats premium, not animal tested food (Adren Grange, Almo Nature, Nutro, Burns, etc...) and her toilet output looks normal.  She drinks like a fish!

She will be spayed as soon as all is over and her kittens are gone (all but one, and only after 13 weeks of age)  in fact I thought she was already spayed when I got her.

Link to CatChat