Author Topic: Mickey & The Fishtank!  (Read 3860 times)

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
Re: Mickey & The Fishtank!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 02:24:10 AM »
I've been distracting mickey everytime ive seen him tapping on the tank and he seems to be improving, also ive left the light off so they arent as easy to spot and wont catch his eye!  :innocent:

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 00:10:45 AM »
I have a four foot long tank in my dining room which has tropical fish and it is used as a bed, a springboard, a tv, a hiding place and other things too numerous to mention by my cats, Daisy likes to sit on the edge and lean over and watch the fish, she doesnt tap on the glass tho but likes to stick her head in and say Hi to the fishies when i open the lid to feed them lol. 

Dont know what they will do when I sell it , its too big for my dining room and I need to make space for the ever expanding cat stuff collection lol.  Anybody interested?  :rofl:
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 21:31:18 PM »
but wouldnt they forget 3 seconds later anyway ? :rofl:

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 21:11:28 PM »
My younger cats use the Fish Tank like Cat Tv - they tap on the glass and chase the fish but Ive never had a problem with white spot or any other diseases, to be honest the fish dont seem bothered at all.  You might find that the fish are a bit tougher than you think and the normal cause of white spot is fluctuation in water temperature.

My fish are darting around when he's tapping the tank so think they will become stressed.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 20:52:32 PM »
Really, Sheryl? I was always told it was stress.....hmmmm, maybe fluctuation in water temperature IS stressful to fish! :-:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 18:48:33 PM »
My younger cats use the Fish Tank like Cat Tv - they tap on the glass and chase the fish but Ive never had a problem with white spot or any other diseases, to be honest the fish dont seem bothered at all.  You might find that the fish are a bit tougher than you think and the normal cause of white spot is fluctuation in water temperature.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 18:19:03 PM »
hahaha thats sooooooo funny!! i love that pic  :Luv: :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 17:39:58 PM »
couldnt resist this one..  :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 16:58:24 PM »
Becca you are so clever  ;D

I love that picture of him watching the fish tank though, looks what any happy cat would do........OK I know not happy fish but............. :rofl:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 14:32:34 PM »
To stop him stressing the fish by tapping you need to put an extra layer of perspex or similar round the outside of the tank - with an air gap between it and the actual tank - so that when he taps it'll only make the air gap vibrate, not the water in the tank.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 14:08:08 PM »
i like diy so here's what i would do...

right in the corner theres an octagon on your wall paper - well, 20 cm under the octagons either side of that (the first octagons on each wall) i'd put in a couple of wall plugs with screws onto which you could attatch a thin strap (plastic, thin rope - have a look in B&Q) that goes all the way around the front near the top of the tank. It looks like you just need to prevent it from toppling forwards giving the cat a free meal.

perhaps that makes no sense at all,   :rofl:  or maybe it's too much trouble.  It'll work though!

That is a pretty good idea and would stop the tank from falling so may try that.

Although, it wont solve the problem of the fish getting stressed from him constantly tapping on the glass hehe but I may try a blanket over the tank to deter him!

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 14:02:57 PM »
i like diy so here's what i would do...

right in the corner theres an octagon on your wall paper - well, 20 cm under the octagons either side of that (the first octagons on each wall) i'd put in a couple of wall plugs with screws onto which you could attatch a thin strap (plastic, thin rope - have a look in B&Q) that goes all the way around the front near the top of the tank. It looks like you just need to prevent it from toppling forwards giving the cat a free meal.

perhaps that makes no sense at all,   :rofl:  or maybe it's too much trouble.  It'll work though!

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 13:35:25 PM »
Here's a pic of Mickey sat in his fav place lol  :sneaky:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 11:59:23 AM »
Yeah its a pretty big tank so wouldnt go on a shelf. Im terrified he's going to end up knocking it over as its a 30 gallon tank and that much water everywere would be a disaster!  :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:27:34 AM »
meeko, don't bet on him giving up. I had tropical fish and my youngest cat was so obsessed with them I had to give them to somewhere else with tropical fish! I now content myself with a few cold water fish in a bowl.....on a shelf in the bathroom that none of the cats notice!

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »
is the tank too big for you to put up a shelf for it somewhere?

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
I live in a flat therefore dont have any room that the cats arent allowed in. I have loads of toys including a cat house and scratching pole plus loads of mice, balls and other cat toys!

He is tapping on the tank but im also worried that he may climb ontop of the tank & end up in the tank!

If needs be I will get rid of the tank but im hoping he will give it up soon!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:39:19 AM »
is there any way you could put the fish in a room where he cant have access too ie separate dining room ??

I know it may not be idea but if its so bad then it might come down to you not being able to have fish

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:32:53 AM »
Lynn, he isn't just watching the fishtank, he's chasing the fish through the glass. If he's tapping the glass regularly, it'll cause white spot for the fish which is stress related.

Lynn's probably right, though. Does he have a lot of toys to keep his interest away from the fish?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »
Hiya and  :welcome:

Soz this may be a dumb question but if he's just watching the fish tank i'm wandering why its a problem ??

the only immediate things i can think of are

get some toys/activity cat tree for him so he has other sources of amusement
put a sheet etc over the fish tank to break his obession about it

Offline meeko_pepper

• Adult Cat
Mickey & The Fishtank!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 03:26:16 AM »
Hey Guys, Just registered as used to use Cat Chat forum!

Mickey is driving me mad as he's just realised that the fish tank exists, its been there since we got him which is over a year & a half ago but seems to now have developed an obsession with it.

He sits watching it all day & night when he's not out or asleep. He jumps up and chases the fish through the glass.
I've tried shouting at him (which i hate doing!) but it hasnt worked, if he's watching the tank and hears me say his name he runs away instantly so he does realise what he's doing is naughty!  :scared:

Any ideas on how to deter him from the tank?

Cheers,
Joanne

Link to CatChat