Author Topic: Signs of Old Age?  (Read 7943 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Signs of Old Age?
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2007, 23:50:34 PM »
I have to give Tiggy 5 tablets a day (have done for several years now) the trick I am using at the moment is defurr-um treats (from Pets at Home) they are meant for hairballs and have a very sticky goo in the middle.  I snap one in half and poke a tablet in each half, the goo is so sticky that the tablet has no choice but to be eaten. Tiggy is not particularly food orientated but literally hoovers these up! I have lots of other methods but you risk the tablet being spat out, with defurrum this just doesn't happen. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2007, 23:27:19 PM »
KIZZY YOU MUST BE PSYCHIC !!!
I just came online to ask if anyone had any idea's how to get 3 lots of tablets down Felix when he is short of breath !!! We've been through all the usual gritting of the teeth and foaming of the mouth, so thank you for your advice..

Its a trip to pets At Home tomorrow for me , thank you, what a clever girl !!  :wow: :wow: :wow:

fuzziesdad

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 21:20:53 PM »
kizzie the pensioner lady cat says try giving felix his tablets crushed up and mixed with "nourish em"(from pets at home and its good for him)its really yummy my step sister squeak has hers like this and laps it up.
hugs to (((((((((((((((((((((felix)))))))))))))))))))))))) :)

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2007, 10:41:31 AM »
HI Amanda, The vet did use the stethescope (?) thingy and listened to Felix's chest but didn't comment on it so must have been ok. I feel its a heart thing to be honest as he gets a bit out of breath when he's been walking round for a bit and has to sit down. Hopefully the heart meds will keep things comfortable.

Have to say he must be feeling better as I put half a plate of my tea ( pasta ) on the chair arm last night and when I turned round he was devouring it !!! That was AFTER having his tea !!

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 08:13:35 AM »
Aww, I am glad that there was nothing too serious and that the meds work.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 00:26:26 AM »
Gail,  i`m pleased to hear that the blood tests were predominately normal. The only thing i was wondering is whether the vet has listened to his heart and heard any irregularities such as a fast heart rate?? Sorry if you`ve already mentioned this but i`m getting very sleepy and i may have missed it!!!

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 20:49:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone's good wishes. Felix now has 3 sets of tablets get get down him...Nothing like a challenge !! The vet has asked me to call her to see how the tablets are going. Hopefully if they are keeping him comfortable th pressure will be off alittle!!
I guess I'll just have to get used to the trials and tribulations of my cat getting old and the challenges that come with it.
If anyone from catchat remembers me it was me who's Amber went missing in April 05 and then last year I adopted Snowball from Paws Inn.

I'm glad i'm getting the hang of this site now - its a godsend !!

ps Felix really appreciates the good wishes from Kizzy...a fellow pensioner cat ! x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2007, 20:27:55 PM »
What great news ... fingers crossed the antibitotics will sort him out.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

fuzziesdad

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 16:42:43 PM »
sounds good on the blood tests then and lets hope the anti-biotics clear up any infection old girl kizzy sends her love to felix so do I. ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2007, 13:09:12 PM »
Glad to hear that you're feeling positive again and that Felix has 'passed' his liver, kidney and thyroid tests (so to speak!). Give him an ear scratch from me  :Luv: and do keep us posted.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 13:00:55 PM »
HI Everyone !!
Well I have just spoken to the vet who has given me to blood test results. I hope this all means someone to someone. !!
They have said that is white and red blood cell count is high which may indicate an infection somewhere. His liver and kidneys are fine and his thyroid is normal - so good news there !
I have been given antibiotics for him and some heart tablet snad she is going to arrange for him to have an x-ray. Only thing is his breathing gets laboured when he is stressed so she said it would be a concern to give him anesthetic..
Felix seems comfortable although is very wobbly and thin, and he gets out of breath easily, so maybe he does have a heart problem..
I'm feeling better now about things as he is ok for the time being so will take one step at a time..thanks so much to you all for listening to me - I know you all understand my roller-coaster ride xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 07:57:46 AM »
Ela - I think all vets have in house testing facilities for basic bloods, but can do more comprehensive ones when sent to a lab - I know both my vet and the rescue's vet send thyroid ones to the lab.
Please spay your cat

saffron

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 19:19:42 PM »
hope the tests come back clear, many hugs for you & Felix

fuzziesdad

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 14:43:51 PM »
hope they come back clear hugs to felix.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :luck: crossing fingers everything turns out OK.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »
They are going to call me when the results are back

Have they no in house testing facilities?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »
Fingers crossed for Felix.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 07:38:12 AM »
I am so glad you got your vet to listen to you, and here's hoping for the results to come back fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 01:19:55 AM »
Loads of thought s for a good result for felix.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 21:59:03 PM »
Gail,

So pleased your vet had done the tests and fingers crossed they come back clear.

Sending lots of love and great big  :hug: to you and Felix.

:catluv:

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 21:09:33 PM »
Hi everyone,
Well the tests have been done and Flelix was a little trooper purring the whole time, bless him!!
They are going to call me when the results are back so please everyone send some positive vibes to Felix..xx
Will keep you posted, and thanks again for being here to listen ( read !! )  :) :) :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 08:07:41 AM »
Good luck, and I hope you can get the vet to listen to you. If they dont listen to you this time, do go and find a new vet, you shouldn't have to push for basic things like bloods done in an off colour 15 year old.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 23:17:23 PM »
Good luck tomorrow  ;D

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 21:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the support everyone - it really is appreciated. We are going back to the vet tomorrow morning and I have said I want a second opinion and will insist on the blood tests. Felix really appreciates everyones well wishes...x I can't access this website from work for some reason so I willk let you all know how we get on tomorrow evening..

He seems ok in himself but I think its something to do with his throat as he seems to be breathing through his mouth with his tongue out although this isn't seeming to bother him.

pc CC sorry to get your name wrong - it doesn't take much to get me confused !! :doh:

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 18:41:16 PM »
I would actually change vets - I wouldn't be at all happy with a vet who wasn't willing to do a blood test on a senior cat, they should be done yearly to keep track of their organs. And if the cat wasn't 100%, they should be doing them to check. Good luck in getting some progress - as the others have said, 15 isn't that old, so the vets shouldn't be dismissing him due to age.

I wholeheartedly agree with Desley.

Remember no one, vet or otherwise knows Felix like you. Stick to your guns and go to another vets.

I hope they find nothing wrong and you get some piece of mind.

Gia
xxx

fuzziesdad

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 14:25:47 PM »
was gonna say poor memory and knees been abit stiff lately, then i realised you meant in cats  :rofl:

It comes to us all eventually,gail talking about your felix you might just be talking about our kizzy she gets a bit thin at the back end in the winter especially and she is also going a bit grey around the face :evillaugh:she lucky to have hair not a problem I have other than the fact that she is going through her kittenhood again with the two youngsters(she did'nt have a very good first one) she is for 17years doing OK.
heres hoping that felix and kizzy live on to a ripe old age :drink:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Fingers crossed for Felix and let us know what the outcome of your visit is.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:51:39 AM »
I agree with Desley - when did she last have any blood tests done?  Its good for older cats to have them done regularly even if they're not showing any signs of ill health.  I'd insisit on a full senior blood panel inc thyroid.  If there's anything not quite right it's best picked up early.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »
I would actually change vets - I wouldn't be at all happy with a vet who wasn't willing to do a blood test on a senior cat, they should be done yearly to keep track of their organs. And if the cat wasn't 100%, they should be doing them to check. Good luck in getting some progress - as the others have said, 15 isn't that old, so the vets shouldn't be dismissing him due to age.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 23:39:33 PM »
Aw thanks CC  :shy:  Yes that's her in the other post (pics taken today) she will be 19 in April so she's 18 3/4 really!  Don't have any other cats, Tiggy is an only child  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 23:41:47 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 23:32:49 PM »
My my Helen is Tiggy Really 19? She dosnt look it in that other post you done, she looks fab for her age, or do you mean another of your cats?  :-:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 23:24:53 PM »
was gonna say poor memory and knees been abit stiff lately, then i realised you meant in cats  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 23:20:04 PM »
I agree with Amanda, blood tests sound like a good place to start , I hope that it is just old age but if there is anything wrong you need to know so it can be treated.

:hug: to you and Felix

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 23:11:59 PM »
I agree with others,  I would definitely insist on blood tests.  I really hope that Felix will be OK and it's nothing too serious.  Also I just wanted to reassure you that some conditions associated with old age can be managed perfectly well.

My cat is almost 19 (have had her since I was a child) and is both hyperthyroid and CRF.  She has daily tablets (has done for 4 years)  but other than that you wouldn't know, she is much thinner than she used to be in her younger days but that is due purely to old age, her appetite is still really good 95% of the time and if it's not she gets fed chicken breast so she is definitely eating enough but is still what I would call thin.   

Will be thinking of you both, please let us know how he gets on.

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 22:20:31 PM »
Thanks Gail, an I go by CC, Macey is my female cat.  :)

Offline gailjackson

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 22:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Its always on a sunday night, late on when things always seem to look worse, and its good to know there are people online who will listen..
Macey your reply was very informative so please don't apologise, deep down i know it may be the beginning of something sinister.
I am going to book the vets first thing tomorrow and make sure they investigate more. I wasn't sure whether I would have to ask for blood tests or that they should want to do them anyway..
Felix is my first cat from when I left home 15 years ago, and I love him to bits. I just don't want him to suffer unnecessarily especially if there is something simple that can be treated.
I will keep you all posted, please send Felix positive thoughts, i'm trying to stay calm here but deep down i am panicking x

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 21:47:32 PM »
Hi Gail, i`m sorry to hear that Felix is having problems. I would agree that these things really need looking into as if he has a problem it might be possible to help him depending on what it is. Breathing with his tongue out sounds unusual and should really be looked in to i think. For a cat of his age it might be an idea to ask for blood tests as a starting point. A full blood profile would be very informative and this would include thyroid, biochemistry (major organs) and haematology (blood count). From these results the vet can decided what to do next. Did the vet say where these lumps and bumps are? If you feel that your vet isn`t very willing to investigate things further then it might be worth trying for a second opinion.

Good luck to you and Felix.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 21:37:02 PM »
Sorry Gail, that post seemed a bit negative and upsetting when I read it again.

Thinking of you and Felix xxxx

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 21:35:10 PM »
Hi Gail, that happens with some of my posts too, very annoying. I'm not a vet or anything, but what you said seems like what was going on with my mum's cat. The cat had a cough and she too was old and frail, my mum took her to the vet's and they give her antibiotics for the cough and had a good feel for lumps, vet couldn't find anything wrong. A couple of months later the cough returned, so back to the vet's. The vet found a lump on her kidney and it was a tumor. I'm not suggesting this is what's wrong with your cat, just better to try and treat it sooner if it is.

I also think that if vet's know something is wrong they try to delay the heartache for us.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 21:31:17 PM »
Personally I would push the vets a bit more .... you know Felix better than anyone.  I would at least insist they do the bloods  even just for you own peace of mind.  Although 15 isn't kitten anymore it's certianly not that old as all the ones who have recently celebrated their 21st birthdays will testify.

Good luck and big hugs to you and Felix :)

Link to CatChat