Author Topic: Question about a sick cat who isn't mine  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Question about a sick cat who isn't mine
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 13:17:58 PM »
Just checking in - hope you can entice Pie in tonight. Fingers crossed...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
Nick,

That's a very generous offer, and thank you.  However, it seems it'll be unnecessary, as I got paid today :)

I spoke to the owner once more, and it seems he doesn't receive any benefits either...so I'll just have to hope he stays true to his word, and pays me back for any fees which might arise, eventually :\

With any luck, if I can keep Pie here overnight, I'll make an appointment for the vet tomorrow.

Will continue to keep you updated  :ok:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 20:05:56 PM »
Hi Sprite
hope you managed to get the cat to the vets.
It sounds like he is being given something to eat that is not agreeing with him. If the old chap who owns him is feeding him some poor quality food it could be upsetting him or maybe he is scrounging from bins .
It could be a more serious problem so its best to take him to a vets. If you send me your name and address in a personal message I'll send you the cost of the taxi fare which might help a bit.. Sorry I cannot afford more at the moment myself.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 22:09:35 PM »
Sprite,

So pleased you seem to be getting this sorted. 

Good luck and please keep us informed.

for your reference here is the link to the PDSA site ... just in case it might be useful in the future http://www.pdsa.org.uk/page112.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

ccmacey

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 13:57:56 PM »
Did you get it??? Rsvp :)

ccmacey

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »
Sprite, i left pm :)

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
Right.  Called the PDSA, who referred me straight onto the RSPCA, who, in turn, told me that I should contact the owner if I was concerned.  Have just spoken to the owner again, and been given permission to take Pie to the vet myself - but I'd have to wait to be paid back for any bills that might arise.  A bit uncertain about his reliability on this...but, aside from being worried about him,  :censored: I'm getting tired of having to clean the vomit up every day :\   So...just a matter of scraping together the money... :\

Will make a vet's apt when I know I can get there.

ccmacey

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 18:45:12 PM »
Yes Sprite, I think that's what it was.

Sorry cant help with transport, I nowhere near, or I would of.

Will the owner pay if your gonna do all the running about? I should think he would, He cant expect you to pay!

Right do you get housing or council tax benefit, I'm presuming you live at your own place?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 18:32:08 PM »
Try doing a search for Pdsa and seeing if you are elicible. I know there is one in Swnasea so expect there one in Cardiff too. If I was nearer I would give you a lift but I am an hours drive west of Cardiff, and thats an hour on the motorway LOL

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 18:01:28 PM »
Just got your PMs :) 

Am in Cardiff, if that's any help to anyone who might be willing to offer a lift.

As for the PDSA, tbh, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  Am on Jobseeker's allowance, if that makes a difference (though my next payment isn't due til next Friday, which is why I'm broke for the time being).  Such a situation has never befallen me before, so I'd have to look into that a bit - any input on that score?  Will have to see if there's a branch near me.

Apologies if my long-winded-ness made it appear as though this is a wind-up, and thanks for following me on this  :ok:

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 17:19:37 PM »
I would try the PDSA first, do you get any sort of housing or council tax benefit?

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 17:15:57 PM »
OK I'm sorry Sprite I do apologize.  :scared:

Did you get the PM I sent last night? Just wanted to know what area your at, maybe someone could help?

Once again SORRY. :)

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 16:50:49 PM »
Err..this isn't a wind up.  What makes you think that? :\  Do tell - I'm curious.

I care, that's all :) 

Anyway, I phoned my vet this morning, and he gave the all-clear to bring Pie in for a check-up, if I'm still concerned in a few days.  Will leave it til next week, and call the owner to see if any progress has been made (the only problem being that Pie's usually not at home long enough to be taken to the vet... )  If not, I'll be getting this sorted myself, money or not.  I'm sure I'll be able to scrape up something for a taxi, if no one is willing to give us a lift...

Thanks to those who've helped.  Will post the outcome.

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 16:40:43 PM »
Im starting to think this a wind up, no disrespect if it isnt. :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »
I'd be inclined to ring the elderly man again and discuss your concerns, Sprite. You may be able to combine forces in getting treatment for Pie - there may be a relative(female - be cautious about your personal safety) with a car who could help, for example.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

ccmacey

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 21:46:32 PM »
Hi Sprite how about taking him to the pdsa as your cat? Have a talk with his owner as you say he sounded old he might not be able to himself.
If I was unable to do it and someone offered I would be very greatfull. Have you seen Pie 2nite?

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 21:05:42 PM »
Where abouts do you live? I wondered if there was anyone on here who might be a able to help with transport if you needed to get him to the vet.

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 19:43:00 PM »
ccmacey,

Sorry to hear about Bruno :(  I'd be inclined to agree that, to all intents and purposes, you saved his life, though. 

As for the catsitting idea - I'd love to do that, but it's really not financially viable :\   I'm not even sure if I'd be able to afford to take him to the vet, as my vet is several miles away and I don't drive, so taxi alone costs me £20 :\  Pie's (at least that's what I call him  :shy:) sister used to come over, too, when they were kittens, but I haven't seen her for years, and assumed she was dead until the owner mentioned her.  So I'm not sure what's wrong with her, and didn't like to ask, though I possibly should have done. 

bagpussarah, Millys Mum, thanks a lot for your input.

As I mentioned above, it really would have to be an emergency for me to be taking him to the vet at this point, due to finances.  It is an option in the longrun, though one I hope I won't have to resort to. 

He's just vomitted again, so I think I'll be giving the vet a call tomorrow, to see if he can gauge how urgent the situation is.  And if that fails, then I may well contact the owner again, and suggest the PDSA/Cat's Protection (?) to him.

Wish me luck, and thanks for the support...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 18:23:14 PM »
The man may be able to get help from the PDSA or CP. You could contact these on his behalf, you would need to know what benefits he is on, if any.
Does he worm the cat regularly? The solution may not need to be an expensive one!

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 16:48:25 PM »
I would be inclined to take him to your vets for a check up. If it's something simple to treat, then that's great and the owner need never know. If it is something that will require an op or lengthy treatment, you could ring the owner and say that you hope he doesn't mind, but a friend of yours is a vet, and after you explained the situation to him/her, he/she gave the cat a quick check up while at your house and found that the cat has.....

Sarah 

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 15:08:09 PM »
Bruno, as my aunt called him, was fine after his op, he was neutered at the same time to cause less stress for him, he was about 9 months old. After his op he was able to move more freely and also jump without being in pain. But sadly on 13th Aug 2005 he was killed in an RTA right outside of the house, the driver didn't even stop. I felt awful as I had brought him there, but the way I see it he might of not been alive if he didn't have the op. So Bruno, I'm sorry little darling but it was the only thing I could do.

RIP little one, your mummy still misses you so much. XXXX

ccmacey

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 14:20:23 PM »
Hi Sprite, Maybe as you say this man is old and struggling to cope as it is, you could ask him wether he wants you to catsit his cat for a couple of weeks? Just a thought. I don't think you can prioritize when more that 1 is sick. It's like having 2 kids that are ill and only taking 1 to the doctors, it just doesn't make sense. And maybe the cat caught something off the other? Have you ever seen the other cat? When my cat's are out they all stick together, but if he said the other has recently been for vet treatment he probably wouldn't let it out anyway.

Let us know what happens. :)

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »
:)  Same here, but we've always stuck with collars as well, just for back-up :)

Anyhow, an update on the situation:  This morning I received a call from the cat's owner - a good start.  However, I'm not sure how certain he was about taking any action :\  It sounds as though he's an elderly man living alone, and he mentioned that he's currently trying to pay off vet's fees for another cat of his.  So, I'll be holding on for a while and, now that I know his number, I'll give him another call in a few weeks' time to see if any progress has been made. 

Thanks again for your help, and I'll continue to add any more updates here :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 23:58:36 PM »
Hi Sprite,

Yes that's my name I have no problmes with people using it :)

My lot are all chipped and they are only allowed out for short amounts of time.  Also If I go out they come in ... even if I am only popping down to the shops.

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 23:21:32 PM »
I don't assume he's a stray, no worries :)  As I said, I'm pretty certain that he has owners, which is why I don't want to nap him ;)

Are yours microchipped, then, Sam (hope you don't mind my using your presumed first name)?  If not, is there another method of security that you use?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 23:17:31 PM »
Sprite,

Please don't assume that just because he doesn't have a collar he is a stray ... none of my lot have collars because I don't like collars (just my opinion).

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 23:10:14 PM »
Hey there, ccmacey,

Good to know I'm not the only one who cares :)  How's your cat doing, these days?

As for mine, it had briefly crossed my mind to nap him, but I'm reluctant for a couple of reasons:

1)  As I mentioned, I don't know the owners, and therefore it would be wrong of me to assume that they don't want him, and don't care for him when he's in their house (though a lack of collar would suggest some degree of neglect). 

2) I'm finding it difficult enough to pay for the other two, given that I'm currently unemployed.  I'd love to take him on, too, if I knew for certain that his owners didn't want him, but I think I'd be a hypocrite for doing so, since I'm just as ill-equiped to deal with him.

Still waiting for him to leave..  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 20:55:07 PM »
I once had the same problem as you, a cat used to come to my house, he was friendly and when I got to stroke him I noticed an odd lump on his belly, I thought this strange and when he came round I used to inspect him. About a week later I noticed the lump had grown and was protruding more. I knew where this cat had come from and I also knew he wasn't stray but the people who he belonged to were the average estate family and I knew if I told her nothing would of been done to help the cat.

So I put a plan into action, well it seemed right in my mind at the time. The cat was at my house before I left for work and I said to him (as you do) if you are still here when I get back your going, bearing in mind I finished work at 3AM. So when I got home he was there (I took this as a sign) and I brought him into my house. In the morning I took him to the vets and discovered he had a hernia and would need an operation on it, The hernia was that big it was affecting his movement. Well anyway I knew if I took him back home nothing would be done, so this cat was officially cat napped by me. I took him to a family members and she agreed to take him in and see to his op. I don't feel guilty for taking the cat, as I knew the owners must of known about it, I mean com'on if I had noticed this lump within a week of seeing this cat they must of known. And on the estate where I lived most of the people knew I fed the strays and she never asked me once if I'd seen her cat, so to me it was a good job I took him. Don't get me wrong if I had been able to talk to her about this and if she would of got the cat treated I would of never done it, I was only thinking of the cat.

Just do what you feel is best, I'm not trying to start a cat napping craze .

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 19:54:28 PM »
Thanks :)   Will keep you updated.  As yet, he's still asleep on my bed  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 17:42:06 PM »
Good luck Sprite and let us know what happens next...

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 16:51:59 PM »
Thanks a lot for that suggestion.   He now has a fluorescent paper collar attached - rather fetching, and hopefully eye-catching enough to produce the result I'm hoping for *crosses fingers*

Now to wait for him to disappear back home... :)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 16:27:31 PM »
Right. There's nothing at all to stop you asking your vet for advice, although they'll probably want to see him in any case.

Your first step, if this chap is friendly, is to pop a paper collar on him (join the ends up with sellotape but make sure you don't stick it to his fur!) with your number asking the owners to give you a ring.

If they do so and seem decent enough then you can just explain what you've seen and see whether they're willing to take him to the vets - you could of course offer to take him yourself and if it's a little old lady or similar that may be very well recieved.

If that doesn't get any response at all, I'd say it's fine to take him to the vets as a 'stray', don't let them do anything permanent eg operation etc and bear in mind that making sure he gets regular pills would be very hard, but if they want to give him say an antibiotic jab and whatever else then go for it.

When it comes down to it I reckon its worse to do nothing than to risk upsetting someone - of course, the vomiting might be nothing, but it's worth checking.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Sprite

• Kitten
Question about a sick cat who isn't mine
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 16:19:04 PM »
Hi there,

Along with my own two cats, I've had daily visits from another cat in the area more or less since he was a kitten.  For the past couple of months, he's been vomiting quite frequently - sometimes furballs, rarely food, but most often just a clear liquid - and, despite seeming fine otherwise, I'm getting worried about him.  Though he does have owners (I hear them calling for him occasionally), I have no knowledge of where in the neighbourhood they live, nor who they are.  He doesn't have a collar, and I'm almost certain he isn't microchipped, as his owners don't appear to care that much for him, and I gather he's too old to have had it done when he was a baby.  I'm not sure whether his owners even know or care that he's sick, as he spends most of his time at my place these days.  Either way, I'd like to make sure he gets treated for this sooner or later. 

My problem is that I don't know what my rights are, in regards to the situation.  Could I phone my vet and ask his advice over the phone?  Is it my place to get the cat treated, if I can? :\  I've got absolutely no idea what my rights are, but I do know that I want him to be treated.  I wish I could find out who the owners are..

I'd be very grateful for some guidance on this.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who is able to help.

Link to CatChat