Author Topic: Slippery Elm bark.  (Read 3752 times)

ccmacey

Re: Slippery Elm bark.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 18:47:32 PM »
Thanks Gill :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 18:08:02 PM »

ccmacey

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 17:20:48 PM »
Hi Gill, do you know the PDSA web addy?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 19:47:24 PM »
Its funny but I have heard bad things about the PDSA vets before on CC, But it sounds like the vets either does not know what he is doing or is just trying to save money.

There is a PDSA website , ity may be worth going on there and see if you can ask then some questions, so as to protect your cat and yourself.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 18:58:11 PM »
I think if you have been having a problem for 2 years and symptomatic treatment doesnt work the vet should be wanting to do something more proactive. Or they suck!  I would push for the removal of teeth. Its the animals quality of life thats important so if the PDSA vet really wont do it then go private. Im sure they would set up a payment plan.
In regards to diet, im a fan of feeding cats a natural diet or at least one with less additives so this should be an avenue to investigate.
I use a supplement called Plaque Off for my gingivitis/granuloma suffering cat, although he doesnt have a problem as extreme as yours, it does help. Best price here www.vetuk.co.uk

Heres a link for you to peruse: http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 15:51:43 PM »
Thanks Ela, I just keep getting told 1 thing then another. So have I got the right to demand the Pdsa do it?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 15:44:13 PM »
So does taking the teeth out totally clear it up?

It worked for my Lucy
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 15:36:47 PM »
So does taking the teeth out totally clear it up? Yes I think by now he is immune to the antibiotics, they just don't work. I was on the net last night and on this website it said not to use steroids, and Ollie has been on them for over 2 years, it is going to be hard to ween him off them, I didn't even think of that. So by rights can I demand that he have his teeth removed? I use the PDSA with Ollie and I think they keep saying he doesn't need it doing because its a costly op, but then I think the private vet's I use say it could help because they want the money.

Has anyone any knowledge of the PDSA? I'm scared if I do demand they do it they will throw me out, and then he would suffer even more. I have asked them numerous times about this and also asked about alternative treatment but they say they don't know and just give me his usual dose of medicine. What are my rights?

saffron

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »
my cat Pandora had the same problem & after several months of monitoring I didn't think it fair to keep taking her to the vets (which she hated) so on the 7th of December all but 3 of her teeth were removed & she has not looked back since the op.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »
My late Kocka had severe gingervitus and her face swelled up so bad under one eye they thought she had a tunor. It was just the gingervitus and teeth removal was the answer.

My brother also has a maine coone who has had calici virus and is a carrier and he had severe gingervitus too. The only answers were to either put him permanently on steroids or have all his teeth out.

The latter was the best way and it doiesnt affect their eating. Steroids however have loads of side effects and if these are not working anyway , teeth removal would be the kindest way for Ollie.

I would take Ollie to see a new private vets and get a third opinion but I suspect they will say teeth out. You will also need to find ourt about getting him off the steroids cos i dont know if you can just stop them. Long term anti biotics just wont work cos they get usaed to them and eventually immune to all antibiotics. Thats how the superbugs in hospitals started.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 21:57:02 PM »
Has he been tested for Calici virus or FIV at all? Also, as someone else has already mentioned there are other antibiotics that could be used. There is a very good one called Antirobe that is used in dental conditions.

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 19:46:21 PM »
Thanks Ali you seem to describe everything he is going through. The problem is these days neither the steroids or antibiotics seem to be working, his mouth is always flared up now, he has been getting treatment for over 2 years now and I feel its time to do something more, like I said nothing seems to be working, the tablets he's getting arnt even controlling it anymore, where as they were before. I just want to stop his suffering.

Offline Ali

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 17:26:33 PM »
Hi ccmacey, I sympathize with you, I have a cat with exactly the same problem, not the mild sort of gingivitus that is just put right by having a bit of dental work done and then clears up. Sammy's gums become red raw, he has a steroid jab every six weeks to keep it under control which is fine for a while until it flares up again. Several vets have told us that the problem is not his teeth and having them removed would do no good.They seem to think that it could be caused by a virus [calici possibly] causing his own immune system to attack his gum tissue. He really does get in a bad way and sometimes when its at its worse becomes frightened of his food bowl as is gets painful for him to eat. I'll try and find out as much as I can about this, I too have heard that slippery elm may help if not cure.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 13:26:40 PM »
I thought removing the teeth did help for gingivitis - can't you get something to paint on their gums to help? Could they not give a different antibiotic, you can get resistance to certain meds if taken too long, maybe that is the prob? I dont supppose there would be much harm giving SEB a try.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 13:24:23 PM »
CCmacey - what is making his gums sore is very likely infection sources from around the roots of the teeth and where they meet the gums - just because they look clean and white on the 'outside', doesn't rule out that they are causing or contributing to his discomfort.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 13:16:31 PM »
I would have his teeth removed but it only affects him gums, his teeth are shiny white. His gums are red raw and ulcerated. The vet has never mentioned anything about his diet.  I'm getting so confused as both vets keep telling me opposite things.   :Crazy: :-:

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 13:07:02 PM »
Thanks Helen, The private vets that I also use has told me a sheep wormer could help although its not proven. It seems when I ask the vets at the pdsa they are only concerned with treating the cat at the time but im looking for some long term relief for him, they just don't listen to me and its starting to get to me as its my cat.

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 13:05:46 PM »
Hi

This might be useful -

http://www.moggies.co.uk/services/healthy_teeth.html

Also

It is likely that diet can influence the development of dental disease, gingivitis and chronic gingivitis.
Try feeding  Raw 'Skirt', fresh chicken and minced oxtail. Also biscuits will help to pull plaque off teeth.But get dietary advice from vet cos you don't want to creat an imbalance.

Regarding having teeth removed. Whilst it seems like drastic option, if he is going to have this condition for life perhaps it is worth thinking about. I understand the plaque sticks to the teeth and then affects the gums. Without teeth, this can't happen.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

Gia
xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
I use Slippery Elm Bark (SEB) with Tiggy for her stomach acid / nausea issues, I have to say that I am not usually a fan of holistic treatments but would highly recommend SEB.  As long as your vet is aware and happy for you to try it then go for it, I have been very pleased with the results in Tiggy although I was using it for a completely different condition.

Have a look at the links below, they are from the CRF website but the advice is not CRF specific.  On the second link if you scroll down it explains how to make a syrup to treat the mouth ulcers.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#mouth_ulcers

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB

Hope this helps.

ccmacey

Slippery Elm bark.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »
Hi all, I have a cat with severe Gingivitis and he's on steroids (Prednisolone), he will have to have them for the rest of his life now, and every 3- 4 weeks he gets antibiotics (Synulox).The problem is these antibiotics don't seem to be helping and I feel his condition is getting worse, eg scabs around his mouth are more pussy and although I know it will never clear up, I just feel like I could be doing more to help him. I have talked with the vet, I use the PDSA with Ollie as his treatment is costly and the vets there say taking his teeth out wouldn't help. Although if I take him to the private vets they say it could help, I really don't know what to do? My mum told me to try Slippery Elm bark I don't know what this is or if it would help?  Anyone else experienced this some advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Link to CatChat