Author Topic: injured at cattery  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: injured at cattery
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 15:12:26 PM »
SAFFRON- i have sent you a private message

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 15:10:43 PM »
Dont worry Rache i understand,

Theres only 2 or 3 Catteries in Bexleyheath and i wouldnt use any of them !!!

Never heard of the Red Lion Cattery but i will have a look into it

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 15:08:39 PM »
yep the cattery should be informed and pay for any vet treatment needed...last year my dog went inot a lovely kennel and injured (almost sliced off on as yet unidentified object) his toe...which need amputation at a later date..the kennels paid full vet bills (didnt discount their stay though) and were lovely...

Offline rache

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 15:00:25 PM »
Hello,

The nice one is actually in Shooters Hill, so technically in SE London, it's called the Red Lion cattery, on Red Lion road, it's lovely and the lady is so nice. I'm worried about naming the bad one because of defamation, but it's in bexleyheath, sorry to be a pain but I'm not one hundred percent sure Molly didn't do it to herself and don't want to affect their business. I also checked out Kitty Sitters in Catford which was lovely too, although it was full for Christmas, so I couldn't get her in. Sorry to be a pain I'm just paranoid!

Thank you for your advice though

saffron

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 14:55:02 PM »
I often help in a cattery &  I have never been asked to make owners sign such a form, dont think I can  say the cattery on the forum but will be happy to pass on the info to you & anyone else in Kent needing a really careing cattery   

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 14:36:53 PM »
Could you tell us the name of the cattery she stayed at ?
and also the nice one you have found ?
(Helps all of us that live in kent)

Offline rache

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 14:31:03 PM »
Hi,

Yep, I know for definite that it's "at your own risk". I had to sign a form to say that I realise any loss or sickness is not their fault, I crossed out loss and put death as there was no way I was happy saying they could lose her! It's one in Kent. It wasn't my first choice but we only got her in september and by then most places were full. I've booked her into a lovely one for next christmas (it's so nice I'd happily stay there myself!). So she definitely won't be goibg back there. I didn't call at first as I thought she'd done it herself - she's overattached, nervous and a house cat so I wasn't surprised by an extreme reaction to being left, but now she's relaxed back at home properly and I can have a proper poke I don't think she could have done it. the only thing I can think is that there was a little wooden shelf in the pen that gave access to the inside bit. She's one of those cats who often misses - ie gets her front paws on and them scrambles up, so I'm thinking she may have scratched it. But I will call her - i'm just building myself up to it! I checked with the vet and he said as long as she lets me touch it without flinching or crying, its healing and it doesn't smell it's fine. I hope so but it's such a big scab it's like she's had an operation!

Thanks x

saffron

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 14:23:36 PM »
thats what I was going to look into as it depends on what is covered the catteries insurance,but I do know they have to account for the injury to the cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 14:14:32 PM »
catteries have a duty of care which is why they have to have a licence & insurance. Question what has happened to your cat while in her care & do not be afraid of standing up for your cat. If you would like I could check into the legal side for you?

Problem there is I think you will find that cats are boarded at owners risk though

saffron

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 14:11:29 PM »
catteries have a duty of care which is why they have to have a licence & insurance. Question what has happened to your cat while in her care & do not be afraid of standing up for your cat. If you would like I could check into the legal side for you?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 13:24:09 PM »
Yep you definately need to mention it.  Even if the cattery owner didn't notice it she needs to be made aware so she can check out the pen to see what she cut herself on and thus prevent it happening to anyone else.

Good luck ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 13:11:23 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm if it is that big the woman should know about it and have told you.............wish you luck. What part of the country do you live?

My little experience of catteries is not good and there are no fab registered ones round here except for one in Carmarthen which I must go and visit if it still exists.

Offline rache

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give her a call. She was on her own in the pen. It just looks to big and brutal for her to have done herself, like a proper rip in the skin! I'll see what she says.

Thanks

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »
I too would ring the cattery.
As susanne has said you will be able to tell alot by how the women reacts !!

Did your cat have her own pen at the cattery or was she allowed to mix with other cats ??

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »
I think you should definitely ring the cattery and mention it.  You dont have to be confrontational - just say you've noticed the scab and were wondering if they knew how she got it.  Their response will tell you a lot - a good cattery will be concerned.  It's possible she's done it herself and if she's insecure maybe no-one could get close enough to notice it?  But I'd definitely mention it.  If she's hurt herself on something in the pen they need to know.

Offline rache

• Kitten
injured at cattery
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:55:51 AM »
Hi there,

My little rescue cat went into the cattery for the first time over xmas. The day after I got her back I noticed she had a scab on her stomach from an inch long cut. It had properly scabbed over so it must have been afew days old. The scab is really think so it looks like it bled quite a lot. At first I thought it may be self harm or overgrooming as she's very insecure and over-attached, but after looking more I don't think she could have done it to herself, it looks more like she has cut it on something. I won't be taking her back to that cattery, but I'm wondering whether I shoudl phone the woman and tell her about the injury, or is it just stirring up trouble? She is quite a fat cat with a hanging down belly so I guess she could easily have caught it. It's healing well and she's not in pain so not been to the vets. Don't know whether t leave it or say something. What do you think?

Thanks

Link to CatChat