Author Topic: Hooded litter tray's  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: Hooded litter tray's
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »
Ha! Sammy uses the big one without a door (old fashioned one)... Charley uses both, but even though I keep them clean she pees overnight on the side in the kitchen  - a whole bladder full!! Can't decide whether it's because of the micorwave and little spotlights or because there's some residual smell somewhere that I haven't been able to shift - or just a habit.  >:(
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

ccmacey

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Whey; so I stood there and watched Ted go into the tray and he used it! Got up the next morning and he'd peed in the bath. What am I to do with him? Im soon going to be putting a nappy on him. :Crazy:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 10:41:57 AM »
I dont have the door on my trays but have to tell you that yesterday Amber went and used the tray whilst I was in the room for the first time in 8 years!! Cant decide if she was totally desparate or just thought she would squash herself right to the back so I couldnt see her lol
love
Tab

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 23:23:59 PM »
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i tried that with kocka and she never used it again

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 23:13:59 PM »
It's going so well for everyone that I might consider putting the doors back on !
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 21:29:07 PM »
Oh this is going well  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 18:18:28 PM »
I figured out how to get the door off mine, and Molly has used it - Chi loves it as well, so I might have to invest in more of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 18:13:57 PM »
I left the lid off the tray last night and Ted must of used it, there were no accidents in the bath 2day.

Theres your answer!
Well done Ted

Iv been told they smell more inside with a lid so maybe he has sensitive nostrils!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 22:06:51 PM »
i figured out how to take the door off mine earlier - Chi has used it, and still as smelly as if he used his normal tray!! Waiting for Molly to decide she needs the loo though.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 21:28:23 PM »
when cody came home i left his door off then after a month or so put it on and he's totally fine with it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 20:52:36 PM »
Ted used it.........well thats great  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 20:50:43 PM »
I have never put the door on, so that cant be the problem. I left the lid off the tray last night and Ted must of used it, there were no accidents in the bath 2day. My rabbit will even use the tray with the door on. So Ted must just be a big scared cat.

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 15:11:48 PM »
The joint on the 'Hidden Litter' trays we have is 9 and a half inches from the base, but I s'pose a very determined standing weeing puss could still manage to aim at this!!!!!!! :-[

Luckily we don't have that problem and have found them very easy to clean, despite not being able to find a UK supplier of the circular liners for them!!!  :'(

I do definitely think that some cats hate the feeling of being enclosed and from experience covered trays seem to be more readily accepted when there is no scary flap/door giving that claustrophobic sensation!  :sick:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 15:01:20 PM »

Mogs does this as well which means she wee's over the edge of the tray at regular intervals so I bought 2 covered trays with the highest base I could find but she still wee's on the joint so that when you take the lid off you get a handfull  :sick: Any suggestions with that would be good lol

I just get a wad of kitchen towel and open the tray with that - I've learnt the hard way not to touch the clip and join area with bare hands!  Although there's never much wee on mine - it just is a bit wet around there sometimes as Jaffa sometimes wees standing up.

Mine are ok with the flap too.  It is a large tray though so maybe that makes a difference?  maybe the flap makes them feel a bit claustrophobic (sp?) if the tray is a bit small?

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 14:40:19 PM »
So I will watch this for any tips, as Molly likes to wee standing up, hence wanting a covered tray

Mogs does this as well which means she wee's over the edge of the tray at regular intervals so I bought 2 covered trays with the highest base I could find but she still wee's on the joint so that when you take the lid off you get a handfull  :sick: Any suggestions with that would be good lol

I have 2 cats and 2 trays and half the time they both wee in one and poo in the other
love
Tab

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 12:28:25 PM »
Yes, we've got two hooded trays but have taken the door off of both and fortunately the cats are fine with them - even sit inside the lid when I am changing the litter.     I think they are really great and mean a lot less clearing up of litter and help with any smells too - definitely a good investment if your cats will use them.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »
I agree about the door, Gill. Our Bridge Babies used to have a large tray with a hood and door and they absolutely hated it, but without the lid they were ok. We managed to remove the door and they soon started using it again!  ;D

We no longer have that tray, but Libby, Nellie and Phoebe have two 'Hidden Litter' trays, which resemble large plant pots with a fake plant in the top (sounds very odd I know, but then it is an American idea!) These trays have an opening, but no door and our three are perfectly happy to use them, despite now becoming quite large pussies!  :cat chat:

They were pretty expensive, but look a lot less unsightly than the usual type of tray (plus our house is not really suited to modern features like litter trays - we only have one contemporary styled room - Sebastian's living room - so something less obtrusive fits in better, lol!)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:58:17 PM by Mimi (Mewg) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
Haven't figured out how to do that on mine yet!!
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 19:26:13 PM »
One tip about them is that they usually have a flap door, take it off  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 18:24:59 PM »
I bought Molly a covered litter tray for X Mas, and she wont use it -she is happy to use the tray with no hood, but wont use it when I put it back on!! I might try seeing if Tiger will use it soon. So I will watch this for any tips, as Molly likes to wee standing up, hence wanting a covered tray - although (touching wood!!), she hasn't done anything in the new tray - it is smaller than the old one, but also the other way round, so maybe that was her prob all the time!
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 15:34:11 PM »
I suspect that maybe the root of the problem cos the base number of trays needed is one per cat plus one. Once the pattern of who uses what and how often then some of unused trys can be knocked out.

I have 4 cats and now two litter trays, one in kitchen and one in bathroom. Sasa doesnt used trays at all, Misa uses the kitchen one and the birmans use the bathroom one and Misas . Oh there is technically a thirdx which is the pile of trays with litter in , in the kitchen and sometimes they use the top tray.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 15:25:09 PM »
That's the thing I did used to have 2 tray's and my 2 year old son also like's to have a dig in them aswell, I stop him of course. So now I only like to have the tray where I can see it's not being tipped out by my son.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 15:06:30 PM »
My cats dont like covered trays but they do like biggggggggg trays and Ducha with 3 legs balances his front feet on the rim when he is using the tray.

Misa will not use any tray that has been used by someone else or even himself and comes to tell me to refresh em, if I dont every time I go in kitchen he comes in and does more and more covering till I get the messsage!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 14:51:47 PM »
Some cats just don't like the feeling of confinement they get with a hooded tray.  Is the tray big enough?  If there's not enough room for him to turn around comfortably he might not like it.  Perhaps take the hood off to start with and see if he uses the tray without that, then try adding the hooded bit?  Maybe it's nothing to do with the actual tray but a more general litter box aversion - size, location, litter etc.  Maybe you could get a few different trays and put them around the house with different litters in them and see which, if any, he seems to prefer.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 14:49:58 PM »
Have a look at Wizzs advice : http://wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html

I have to say my lot are very good about sharing trays I have 3 cats and two trays however I have noticed that Rossi ... our new baby (7 months old) always wee's in one tray and will poo in the other.  But I think this is because she is very good at covering her "business"  she can spend 5-10 mins scratching over it.  Whereas the other two both just go and leave! no covering required .... that's what i'm there for LOL.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 14:20:47 PM »
Hi there,

Sometimes they just don't like sharing trays, so you should really have more than one available so they have a choice. Sometimes it's because the other cats hassle them around it and if he can't see around him he might feel threatened? Or maybe you just have to give in to him and let him have an open one! Your post made me laugh - I used to have an old manky cat, also called Ted, who would wee in the tray (hooded) but always did his permanently runny poos on the floor next to the trays. After trying allsorts I just ended up with lino in the litter tray areas, and had to look where I was walking in the mornings!

Hope you find a solution (or a compromise!)

Su

ccmacey

Hooded litter tray's
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 14:10:14 PM »
Hi all,

I have recently bought a hooded litter tray (about 3 weeks ago) and my eldest cat Ted refuses to use it at all. Ted did use the normal tray for a wee but always used to Poo on the kitchen floor (not very nice, I know). I moved into where I'm living now 2 months ago and I thought it might of sorted it's self out but unfortunately not. I have 3 other cat's and they all use the hooded tray fine, I always make sure it's clean so I can't see his reason's for not using it. I have always used the same litter (catsan) and even if I run out and have to buy another brand he still won't use it. So Ted, who is nearly 4, is not only pooing but also weeing in the bath. I  just don't know how to get him to use the tray, I have a lazer pen, which he love's chasing and even tried to coaks him in with that, even that didn't work. I thought he might be scared of it because it looks like a cat box, but 1 of my other cat's who goes to the vet's every month has no problem using it, and he hate's even seeing me get the cat box out.  So I really am stuck on what to do, I'm sick of having to clean the bath after him. How do you teach a 4 year old to use the tray???

Link to CatChat