Author Topic: My cat hates his tail being touched ... why?  (Read 4710 times)

cheekee_munkee

Re: My cat hates his tail being touched ... why?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »
I think cats taiils contain guard haiirs which are different to the rest of the hairs in the tail and can be more sensitive.
Otherwise its probaly due to a bad experience in the past in regards to the tail.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 12:08:20 PM »
Maybe in his last home he was pulled by his tail by kids ?
Cats dont forget things like that

or it could just be that he doesnt like it !
One of mine hates her belly being rubbed, no medical reason she just doent like it lol (like i dont like my feet being touched hehe)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »
Also, try: http://wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html for some info.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:21:06 AM »
Poor little Mike!   Maxima, never heard of this to be honest. Most of my cats in the past have loved it when you stroked them from the neck down to the end of their tail. it could be he is hurt (maybe caught his tail under a foot/door somewhere) and it hasn't healed?

If he is really hurt he will show signs of it by becoming quiet I would think.

It could be he just really doesn't like being touched there at all and that's just his personality.

I am sure someone else on here will have experienced something like this before and may have a better reason than I do for Mike's behaviour.

My rule of thumb is that if my cat doesn't stop eating and doesn't hide, then she's in good health. Its their only way to tell you they aren't well.

Good luck!!

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
My cat hates his tail being touched ... why?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:11:46 AM »
As some of you may know from my many previous posts, I adopted an adoring cat called Mike 4 months ago. I love him very much but we are still getting to know each other and have occasional ups and downs. I am accustomed to the cats I grew up with who love to have their tail petted so naturally I pet Mike's tail. Recently I have gotten the sense he really doesn't like it (I am still struggling to identify his happy meows from unhappy ones).

Tonight, while I absentmindedly petted his tail he scratched me for the first time. Ouch for me, but ouch for him too apparently :( Poor kitty, poor mommy.

Does anyone else have a cat who doesn't appreciate their tail being touched? What are the reasons for it? Is there something biological about their tail I should know (sensitive etc?) or is that just something particular to my baby?

Thanks xoxo

Link to CatChat