Author Topic: Does your cat suffer with allergies?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
Re: Does your cat suffer with allergies?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 13:07:58 PM »
I'm having a nightmare with my cat Maisy.  She has been scratching/licking one area on her neck for the past 5 months.  We have just had a biopsy and blood test done and whilst the bloods were ok the biopsy on the surrounding area i.e. unscratched skin showed hyper sensitivity and inflammation so the vet says its a food allergy.  The vets have given her a special food to try as they said they could not tell us what food type she is allergic to so have given us vension and green pea as a completely new food to her.  Like Cookie Maisy has had steroid injections but continued to scratch and has had the programme injection and we had to spray our house to rule out fleas prior to the blood tests/biopsy.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 22:13:09 PM »

Ive never heard of an animal being allergic to humans? 

Me niether  :rofl:

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 22:09:38 PM »
My vet is going to get me a kit from the lab that you use to monitor the amont of dustmites in your house (or something like that?)
at least we will know if we are reducing them.

Im a clean freak as it is but am more so now.  I keep hoovering and damp dusting everywhere.

Ive never heard of an animal being allergic to humans? 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 22:05:12 PM »
Ah poor little thing -
and you are so good removing all your carpets for her. Also remember that you will find loads of dust mites in the beds too so you might want to get mattress protectors.

Offline julie10270

• Adult Cat
Does your cat suffer with allergies?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 21:56:00 PM »
Hiya,

My cat Cookie for the past year has been suffering from what we thought was flea dermatitis.
Every month she has been having steroid injections as she gets very itchy and scratches bald patches into herself from what we thought were caused by a flea bite.
3 weeks ago my vet took a blood sample for allergy testing.

Turns out Cookie has a slight allergy to Beef & Lamb.
MAJORLY allergic to dustmites and HUMAN DANDER.

My poor cat is allergic to us...........ive never heard of it before?

I have stopped feeding her anything with beef or lamb and me and my OH have come to the decision to remove all the carpets from the house & lay laminate floors (including bedrooms) to try make things a bit easier for her.

Does anyone else's cats/pets have any allergies?

Link to CatChat