Author Topic: Any tips, advics, info?  (Read 2103 times)

cheekee_munkee

Re: Any tips, advics, info?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 00:07:07 AM »
Might be sleeping in the litter tray as that has his strongest scent and that can be reassuring for a stressed cat. Try stroking whatever you are using as his bedding on him to transfer his scent to it and that may help.

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 20:52:34 PM »
In that case lots of time and patience, took us months with Lurkio who was living in the shed and scarpered whenever you got within 10 feet, started leaving food in the shed then outside the back door then inside the cat flap, but you couldn't be in the kitchen etc etc, think it took us about 6 months before he would let you scratch his back which he loves and stretches up on his tippy toes and arches his back,
:evillaugh:.
Getting him neutered made a big difference, is Blacky neutered? I'm sure with time he'll come round, best of luck

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »
Yes, most of the tips given have been used. Blacky is eating and drinking, he also eat's treats left for him. He also sleep's in the litter tray, which I find strange, there are 2 in his room so he move's to the other 1 when 1 is soiled. I just think it's because he has never had any human interaction, he is about 5 years old and been a stray all of his life.

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 13:10:32 PM »
All that has been said below and also try drawing her out with a bit of string to play with, it's distance playing and she doesn't have to get too close to you, good luck!

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 20:11:34 PM »
In the spare room the cats is in:

- set up litter tray and food and water.

- provide the cat with a hidaway place. like the cat carrier you got it in or even a cardboard box placed with holes in it. Place in a corner somewhere away from the doorway. The cat will feel less threatened if it knows it has somewhere it can go and hide if it is stressed.

- Visit the cat regulary and get down onto the floor as small as you can and just sit and talk quietly. let it know by youre communication and body language that you are not a threat. Use treats at the same time so it realises you are a friend and provider of food. In cat language closing your eyes slowly and then looking away and then yawning means that you are not a threat.

- the use of a feliway diffuser and catnip spray can be of great help.

- dont go to the cat and force it to interact. let the cat come to you when its ready. Sometimes grooming can help break the ice.
- Lots of studies show cats respond more to higher pitched voices.

- the use of a radio in the room when you are not there at quiet volumes can help get the timid cat used to noise.

Sorry if I am saying things that you already know. Its just these things helped when I got my very timid and scared rescue ragdoll. Now she has really opened up but it did take a few months. But it was worth it.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 18:40:59 PM »
I am not sure what Sedative drops you mean but how about trying Feliway plug-in.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 13:20:28 PM »
Hiya - what are the sedative drops? IT isn't too soon to be worrying, adult cats can take months to settle - I had my scaredy foster for 5ish months, and I couldn't handle him - but 2 months in his new home, he could be handled. Some tips:
 - Leave a radio playing either classical music or a talkstation all the time
 - Just sit in his room ignoring him, do whatever interests you, i.e read, crossword. Ignoring helps, as they can study you in their own time, and generally get curious. Just spend as much time as you can just being near him without interacting.
 - Food can be a big help in gaining trust, I used sliced meat and put it closer to me, until he was taking it from my hand.
 - Fishing rod toys can help, as they dont have to have that much interaction with you.
 - Rescue Remedy can help.
Time and patience are very big keys in this.
I decided when I had SJ that I was going to give him 6 months, and if there was no improvement, however slight, that we would look for a farm home for him. Not all adult cats can tolerate living in a home environment, and I think it is something you do have to be aware of. You could also do with looking out for things that indicate stress, such as hair pulling, cystitis, in case there are signs that he isn't happy.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

Any tips, advics, info?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 13:11:36 PM »
Hi all,  Some of you may know about the stray I trapped (Blacky) and I was just wanting some advice on what to do with him. I know it is still early days but he is still very frightened and just cowers in the spare room, He is living at my mum's. My mum uses sedative drops on his food and she is able to stoke his head when he is sedated. We caught him on the 22nd nov, so is it still too soon to start worrying? :-:

Link to CatChat