Author Topic: Puppy pads  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Puppy pads
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 14:48:09 PM »
I use puppy pads in the cats carriers and they have never weed on them yet (not even on 9 hour journeys) so I guess they don't encourage cats to wee.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »
Well we got there with no accidents  ;D ;D ;D ;D
love
Tab

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 08:23:52 AM »
Well in her carrier I currently have a peice of vet bed as she used to have a pillow but that didnt survive being wee'd on. I was looking for something else when Mum offered some of their old dogs bed which was no longer used. I washed it and put it out in the flat for them to lie on and make sure it smelt of cats not dogs and used that but that was what she wee'd on coming back from the vets.
I think I'll try it again with just that as if she does wee I can bring the carrier back from the cattery this time to wash as I will be coming home the night before picking them up instead of picking them up en route as I usually do. Its probably silly but as Im hoping it was 2 'hiccups' and not Mogs deciding that she would suddenly wee in her carrier Im hoping by not changing anything she'll not wee again.
Fingers crossed  ;)
love
Tab

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 21:59:37 PM »
I agree with the vetbed if you can get hold of it in time.  Mine have never tested it, so to speak  ;) but when I first bought some I poured a glass of water over it to test it out and it all flowed through leaving the surface dry.  You do need to put something underneath it though to absorb the wee otherwise you'll still have a carrier full of wee!

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 20:11:38 PM »
The idea of the puppy pad is to encourage pups to wee in specific places rather than everywhere so I do think it could encourage this - our pup always went straight to the pad to wee but whether it works on cats??

Is there anyway of masking the scent of the puppy pad with something else? Sounds silly but something like Febreze? That might combat whatever is in the pad that encourages the weeing?!Just realised Febreze will just wet the pad!!!! - How about some sort of powder?

Or maybe I'm talking rubbish!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 20:07:43 PM »
I use them for under the litter tray as Tiggy sometimes 'overshoots' the tray.  I did read on the packaging about a scent that encourages the animal to wee but I presumed that it would only work on dogs like Feliway only works on cats,  but....  Have used Puppy Pads in the carrier for the last 9 months or so and have had 3 wees whereas prior to that the last wee was 18 years ago when she was still a baby! 

I hadn't put two and two together until now but I think I'll continue to use them as even if she does wee it's absorbed by the puppy pad (that's unless you put it upside down like I did a few months ago  :shy:) which is better than a non puppy pad induced wee on newspaper or a blanket!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 19:44:44 PM »
Probably a bit late for tomorrow unless you've got a garden centre or pet shop near you which sells vetbed, but can you get hold of a piece of vetbed (I think original is best but there are other cheaper brands around).  Vetbed is soft and fluffy but it draws any wetness to the underside, a bit like a nappy I guess, so any animal wetting the carrier stays dry.  I have no idea how it works but I use it in carriers and in the rabbit sheds and it's brilliant stuff! 

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Puppy pads
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 18:52:28 PM »
Hi I remember reading something about using puppy pads in carriers for cats that wee on journeys. I bought some but reading the packet seems to suggest they encourage the animal to wee. Now Mogs has wee'd the last 2 times shes been in her box but its been on the way home from the cattery when I didnt give her chance to go to the loo and on the way home from the vets. She didnt wee on the way there but whilst at the vets was squished and pumelled (sp?) in the tummy area so I think it was that. Tomorrow the cats are off to the cattery now should I risk it just with feliway as I normally do or should I put a pad in the carrier just in case???
Any help you can give me would be very gratefully received
love
Tab

Link to CatChat