Author Topic: Travelling  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Travelling
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 16:00:57 PM »
If she isnt already i would get her chipped before you go. With people in and out its easy to forget a door!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Travelling
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 19:01:34 PM »
Hi Rache  :welcome:

I had to take Jaffa to my mum's last xmas as I didn't get him booked into the cattery in time.  He coped much better than I thought he would in a strange place (although my mum was in hospital so it was just me in the house) considering he's a timid cat.  I put him in my bedroom with his litter tray etc.  and after a day or so I left the bedroom door open when I was home so that he could come out if he wanted.  After a couple of days he ventured out and gradually explored the house.  By the end of the visit I think he was getting quite comfy!  I think your cat will probably be ok going with you - or at least better than in a strange house with people she doesnt know.  Where are you going?  And will there be a lot of people and/or other pets there?  I'd put her in your bedroom with food, water, litter tray then once she's got used to that being her base and used her litter tray you could let her venture further if there aren't too many people/kids/pets etc.  If there are going to be other pets or the house will be noisy it might be better to keep her in the bedroom all the time.  It might seem a bit cruel to confine her to the bedroom but there will probably be more room in there than she'd have at a cattery so she'll be ok for a short time.  And although she may be a bit stressed by the strange environment having you close by will help relax her. 

There's another recent thread somewhere on here about travelling (from yesterday or day before I think) that might be helpful re the actual travelling.

edited to add - here's the link to the othe thread http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1034.0

If you can get hold of feliway spray/diffuser and some rescue remedy to take with you they might help to relax her in a strange place.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 19:05:05 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline rache

• Kitten
Travelling
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 16:23:54 PM »
Hi there,

First visit today so hello. I used to use Cat Chat before it closed.

I need some advice. We've had my lovely rescue cat six months now. the cattery we had her booked into for xmas seems to have let us down. I've spoken to the lady at the vet's surgery and she says we can take her away with us. It's a four hour car journey (more if bad traffic). but she says she'll settle after a while. Not sure where she'll be when we get there, prob in my bedroom with me. What does everyone think. We'll be away five days and she's a house cat. Can't leave her here with a feeder because she's too needy and noisy! Alternative is leaving with a friend, in a strange house with strangers.

Any advice?

Thank you

Link to CatChat