Author Topic: Best quality, meatiest, lickable commercial foods suitable for seniors  (Read 2368 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Best quality, meatiest, lickable commercial foods suitable for seniors
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
I bought the pouches. In v small letters on the bottom of the box it says 'complementary'. Oh well. I haven't tried them yet. I'll see if I can find the Essential ones as we have an Asda quite close by. Are they easy to spot? I've not bought supermarket foods for so long and there are so many that look the same  :Crazy:
The hi life tins - are they lickable or would I have to blend them.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 20:41:45 PM »
The tins tend to be, I have only come across one of their tins that isn't, but their pouches rarely are - and the tins aren't 50% meat, so I thought SM had ordered the pouches. The Essential pouches, which are 50% are exclusive to Asda.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 19:11:56 PM »
SM, you might want to check the HiLife, as not all HiLife is complete. The tins of pate might be better than the pouches, the salmon and turkey are hte best of the three. Fancy Feast is similar to Sheba according to felinecrf.org.

It says complete on our tins of Hi Life. Tom likes the trukey & giblets

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 22:16:34 PM »
thanks for all the advice. I'll have a look out for all of it. I think I ordered pate Hi life from Sainsburys (they will deliver as I'm still hobbling!). He tends not to eat anything chunky or jelly-fied. I'm petrified of chinese ingredients after the scare so I hope they are more careful now. I'll look for the little tins. Also the Mum's own - good idea to mix it in with his normal food.   Is Liquivite a complete diet or could I use it just to supplement on the bad days?
there doesn't seem any logic to the bad days - yesterday was good, today awful. However he ate 5 'back of tablespoons' RCR blended again. I hope he'll do that a bit as it requires minimal effort. On his bad days, anything that isn't easily licked up doesn't budge off the plate.

Btw my other cat Max gobbled up a new pate food from Hills - little can of chicken pate senior nosh - not minced for once. Plate looked like it had been in the dishwasher! Might be worth a try for others. Swampy ate a teaspoon but then found it hard to lick up off the plate and quit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 22:17:40 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
SM, you might want to check the HiLife, as not all HiLife is complete. The tins of pate might be better than the pouches, the salmon and turkey are hte best of the three. Fancy Feast is similar to Sheba according to felinecrf.org.
Please spay your cat

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
 the ones i use are salomon pate, and the other is a the turkey and giblet pate its called hi life petit pate 85g tins often available in home bargins for about 20p a tin. hope this helps. :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I didn't think of that - the turkey & giblet pate? - it reminds me of sandwich paste  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
my 16 year old cat has trouble eating have you tried hi life pate she will eat them no prob.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I remember it was one of the brands involved in the poisoned chinese gluten last year.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
here's the fancy feast website: www.fancyfeast.com
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
I haven't read the other thread but if he is drinking ok do you think he'd drink liquivite liquid food? It can be syringed if he was haivng a really off day and it has got a prebiotic in it.

It says per kilo on a dry matter basis it contains 0.75% phosphorus.

http://www.liquivite.co.uk/index.html
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
If you can find it, Heinz do a baby food called Mum's own. In that range there's a chicken and a beef paste stuff. It's about 90% meat and onion free.

Otherwise some normal beef pastes that you can buy are onion free but the chicken ones tend not to be. You could mix a little paste in with the k/d.

Sorry if you've put this on the other thread but have you tried warming the food for a few seconds in the microwave? Just until it gets to body temperature and well stirred. It's  :sick: but can work a treat!

Good luck
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Best quality, meatiest, lickable commercial foods suitable for seniors
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 13:47:28 PM »
On the health thread, you'll see that poor wee Swampy's having trouble eating. Someone in America has suggested Fancy Feast beef (slightly lower in phosphorus than chicken apparently). Is this available here and is it lickable and smelly?
What else should I be looking at? I think Swamps is nauseous. On his good days he likes k/d minced chicken so I'm assuming that something chickeny may work (possibly). He's 16 and I don't want to wreck his kidneys fast if can find something he likes that's not too high in phosphorus.  Someone else says baby food, but doesn't that all contain onion?

I've just ordered some Hilife from Sainsburys - says it is 50% meat, no idea what consistency it is.  I haven't bought supermarket foods since he was a kitten so I'm more than a bit lost. He doesn't do chunks - he would just lick the gravy. Thanks!

PS physically near us is a Sainsburys and Asda. Tesco is a mission to get to. There's no morrisons.

Link to CatChat