Author Topic: dogs and cats help  (Read 1300 times)

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
Re: dogs and cats help
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 14:25:04 PM »
sorry got prices wrong they want just over £200 for saffy( drugs as pup made her bigger than norm)  £150 for gracie and £170 for poppy. iv looked at the price when i had 2 more dogs.
you would die coming in my house. in the kitchen i have 2 dogs 1ft fish tank and 4ft fish tank,  living room 2 rabbits and a tortorse, upstairs 5 cats and dog. i have cut back. i did have 6 dogs but i lost 3 (oct. dec. march) old age. also lizards died of old age and my dad took the snake.
i think still having more pets than a norm. household has done this more than any thing and i do feel guilty
 the dogs fighting and having to be put in dif rooms is not the ideal situation but copeable but the cats getting hurt is a problem. trying to get a 30ft 2 story cat house built is proving quite hard too
thanks for the advise and reading my dronning on
danielle

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 21:15:00 PM »
I would definately shop around as you should be able to get them done for £150 (or less) so that's £450 total. Poppy howling if you lock her downstairs sounds like separation anxiety. It's hard to judge things over the internet, but that's my best guess from the info you've given.

Whilst your youngest two are at war with one another they can get territorial and it is possible they will snap at the cats for invading their space. At the moment I would separate the two youngsters from one another and the cats from them (if you are worried about the cats safety). It's hard to say without seeing how the dogs are reacting to the cats.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 20:58:16 PM »
i did get the quotes from the vets i phoned three and my pdsa will spay cats at cost but wont take dogs. the rspca said they would send 2x£50 to the vets but i dont like to take charity away from the needy. i had this prob before and my sister had one of the dogs. keeping them apart is fine lived with dogs in dif. parts of house for years, its the cats im worried about. cats are big and dog not much bigger but i think the dog can hurt my babies more. poppy howls if i lock her down stars.
danielle

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 19:32:59 PM »
£800 for spaying them! Have you got quotes from other vets? You can also get help with neutering costs, i would suggest contacting the dogs trust to start with.

Hormonal bitches, i dont envy you that one  :scared:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 18:49:41 PM »
Oh dear  :scared: :scared:

I'm afraid you have got the worst possible thing happening. Your youngest 2 are fighting for top female pack position. It's going to get NASTY unless they are spayed (or at least one) is asap. When girl dogs fight is is bad, they hold grudges and will fight to the death, sometimes the aggression can be life long. I'm not exaggerating, it really does get bad. You are going to have to separate the two youngsters from one another.

In severe cases 1 dog would have to be rehomed or they would have to be separated 24/7. It is quite possible that they will never get on again. Next time get a male  ;)

Your issue is definitely one of hormones and dominance, and I really feel for you  :hug:

Edit: it could be even worse as they are siblings which add in a bit more competitiveness for them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 18:51:34 PM by Den »

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 17:04:13 PM »
i have 3 cocker spainels saf 6 her daughter gracie 2 and saf sisters daughter also 2. they have been together from poppys birth 10 weeks after gracie. poppy was very ill as pup had parvo and spent a week on a drip the only time apart none are spayed as they are show dogs and told i should not spay them. (saving up now to do it though) but its going to be not short of £800. i saved the money for the cats spays befor i got them.
danielle

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 21:55:33 PM »
How many dogs, ages, breeds, sexes, neutered?

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
dogs and cats help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 21:24:00 PM »
im alway the person every one turn to for advise when it comes to pets but now im at a loss. a fue weeks ago my dogs had a fight so after sevral times i admitted defeet and put the young dogs down stars and my older one upstairs with the cats. a fue weeks later the two younger dogs had sevral fights so swaped round the dogs putting the youngest upstars with the cats. they have all bee together for almost two years ( all there life) last weeks i took the youngest to my mums house and she bit the cat. i thought it might be shes so stupid she thought the very big cat was a dog but the next day she had one of mine. i told her off but she continues to try and get the cats. at the moment im having to take her to my mums emty house and lock her up when i go out, shes never been alone and howls (no neighbours)
i know this is for cats not dogs but some one must keep dogs too. help
im taking her to the vets next week to make sure shes not hurt.
i cant afford a dog whisperer
danielle

Link to CatChat