Author Topic: Helping kittens and cats bond, also getting kitten at ease with dogs advice needed  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
I'm sure Tabitha with soon learn to love "her" dogs ... slowly slowly  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline animal crazy

• Kitten
Thanks for everyones response here, although Tabitha still hates the dogs (unless they are wagging their tails, she forgets herself then but then panics when they dare turn round to see what got their tails lol) we have had huge break through with Nelson and Tabitha, they have started to play though he does still paw her out the way when he's had enough, he also lays on our bed with her during the day, so all 3 cats for the most part are now getting along, yey!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:08:43 PM by animal crazy »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
My 3 Border Collies Sky, Sunny and Mistral all came to the Clan as puppies and have seen a fair few coming and goings in their time here they are 6,4 and 2, I use crates for the dogs and it has worked I currently have 3 in my lounge with catbeds on top of them

I also used leads on the dogs showing them the ropes, I also have babygates that the cats can walk through but the dogs are contained

I also have a new addition he is about 8 weeks old and we have no history on him he sort of came home from the kennels with me on Wednesday when I flew back from Azerbaijan - he is white and black and called Sergai and the dogs are curious but understand the word no and although he has fluffed up when theya re standing up he is fine with them lying down
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Yeah it definitely works.  My cats love it.  If you use facebook you can read some of the recommendations.

Offline animal crazy

• Kitten
Ohhh I didn't realise anything like that exsisted!! I am guessing they work then? I will invest in one and see if it helps, thank you x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
You might want to invest in some Pet Remedy calming spray or a plug-in it will help calm everyone down and then you will have an easier time with the introductions http://www.petremedy.co.uk/ .  It's good for cats, dogs and humans  ;)

Offline animal crazy

• Kitten
I currently have 2 male cats who are both 17mths old, named Jackson and Nelson, I recently took in an 8 week old female named Tabitha, I also have 2 dogs. When I got Jackson and Nelson I got them together as they are brothers, my eldest dog had never been around a cat and absolutely hated them so we were worried it wouldn't work with them, but through sheer determination and very careful introductions, plus allowing the dogs to get used to their sent we won and both my dogs will now lay with the cats (my eldest dog is 12 so we were really worried)

Now they obviously had each other so would hide together, play together and eat together, I think they also looked out for each other when the dogs were about so they settled pretty quick once meetings took place, Tabitha is on her own, Jackson is okay with her, he watches her and will sometimes play with her, Tabitha is very cheeky and will go and paw him in the face and he just sits there, when she's eating he will hover over her but as soon as she growls he goes away, he's lovely if she really annoys him he just moves where she can't get him.

Nelson however is a different story, he will sometimes just watch her, but he also chases her sometimes, and he does knock her away with his paw quite hard sometimes (almost like he is giving her a clip around the ear hole) Tabitha is scared of him, she runs and hides the moment he comes in. She also hisses at the dogs, she is terrified of them, neither of them go near her other then the youngest dog sometimes tries to sniff her. At the moment at night we crate Tabitha (to ensure Nelson doesn't bother her and also while she is still hissy with the dogs to ensure none of them go for her, I don't think they ever would but I like to be careful) but i'm keen to get rid of the crate, so are there any tips anyone can give to help Nelson and Tabitha bond, and help Tabitha realise the dogs won't hurt her? She has only been here a week so i'm not expecting over night results, just want peace of mind really that i'm doing all I can do (cats are fairly new to me, I am more a dog person and certainly found getting them used to my boys easier then i'm finding Nelson and Tabitha bonding )

Sorry for the essay wanted to paint a picture of what things are like here as best I could x

Link to CatChat