Author Topic: Problem with cat scratching furniture  (Read 1208 times)

Offline kittiesmom

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: scooby & tilly. My Wildcats.
Re: Problem with cat scratching furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 20:46:21 PM »
 :Luv2: Sorry I can't help only say my two wrecked my leather sofa when they were younger, but they don't do it anymore. Nothing we did made any difference.    :scratch:
until you love a cat you haven't loved.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 13:53:26 PM »
Ours love scratching vertically so we got those cardboard cat scratcher which they love and they are so cheap to replace!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 13:36:43 PM »
If she's a vertical scratcher you could prop a scratching pad up against the new piece? Just a bit of old carpet glued to a board would do it, perhaps? You can buy them too, think I saw one on Zooplus. If you rub catnip into the fibres she'll prefer this to the wood.

Don't forget that scratching is also a means of scent marking, I read that they have scent glands in their paws and scratching distributes this, so they don't see scratching as norty, simply making themselves at home.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Problem with cat scratching furniture
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
Buffy really likes to scratch furniture and door posts. They have scratching posts and I let her scratch the wooden trolley in the kitchen but I've just brought a really nice chest of drawers for the bedroom and she has started to try to scratch the front of them. I can tell her off when I'm there but I'm worried it's going to get wrecked. Does anyone have any good ideas to stop her? I looked at the sticky pads you can buy but I think they are for soft furnishings and might damage the chest. There is also a spray you can buy that cats don't like.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.   

Link to CatChat