Author Topic: Dying/Very Ill Kitten at Alton Towers  (Read 8273 times)

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
Re: Dying/Very Ill Kitten at Alton Towers
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 22:33:59 PM »
Received this response to my e-mail today:

I am writing this email in reply to the concerns that you have raised regarding Feral Cats at the Alton Towers Resort, and as Animal Care Team Leader for the Resort, I hope to be able to give you more information regarding the Feral Cats onsite.

The Cats that reside here at the Resort are not contained in any way and are therefore able to come and go at their will. As you were informed previously the Resort has been a home for Feral Cats for many generations and over the years a number of actions have been taken in order to better their welfare; we have had a number of external Cat Protection companies and Cat study teams visit to the Resort in order to assist with the capture of the cats in to get them spayed/neutered and allow them to get the veterinary attention they may require. The Resort itself creates much appeal to the Cats, there are many areas of shelter and food supplies are aplenty as well as the fact that the current Cats onsite are the offspring of many generations of Feral Cats makes containing the animals somewhat of a challenge.

We are currently liaising with a Cat Study Team at present, recording sighting of Feral Cats in order to establish numbers and practical methods of containment. Any Feral Cats that we are able to catch receive immediate veterinary attention.

The Animal Care Team is constantly communicating with the RSPCA regarding any wildlife issues; this has led to them assisting at the Resort to contain animals in need of veterinary care. The team has built a relationship with a local wildlife rehabilitation centre. The Centre takes wildlife that we do not facilities or equipment to care for. A member of our Animal Care Team is currently volunteering at the centre to support.

The Animal Care Team are an incredibly passionate team that do their very best for any wildlife that we can help, as well as actively getting involved with community project to support conservation. Following on from email another call has been made to the Cat Study Team as stated above and with this in mind I hope you are aware that we have taken your concerns seriously.

Thank you for your patience while waiting for a reply,

Vanessa Massey

Animal Care Team Leader - Alpha 46'

'

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 18:57:42 PM »
Furry Friends seems to be part of old macdonald's farm - makes interesting reading......http://www.towersstreet.com/theme-park/area/old-macdonalds-farmyard/

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 17:57:11 PM »
Received this less than helpful reply from Guest Services:

'Hello Ms Farmer

Thanks for getting in touch.

Please be assured that we are aware of the large family of cats that live on the Resort. We do have a Furry Friends team that deal with any animal welfare issues at the Resort.

I hope this helps.

Samuel Hall
Guest Services'

Has anyone heard of a 'Furry Friends team' at Alton Towers?

My post of FB only got a scathing reply from a guest telling me that no one was responsible for ferals as they are wild and a response from Alton Towers telling me to write to Guest Services, which I had already done.

I have replied to Mr Hall asking him to put me in touch with their Furry Friends team, or have one of the team contact me.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 12:22:53 PM »
Hmm, sounds like Alton Towers need to get their act together, unless they want some negative publicity.
I am sure nobody on here would even consider that. 

X

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 16:45:22 PM »
I have just reposted on FB. Their attitude is very worrying. You would think they would be delighted that rescues were willing to help, not be rude to members of the public (ie. their customers) who raise concerns.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 15:28:49 PM »
Well I've just been through all yhe posts on Facebook and it seems the posts by myself and black asking who is responsible for the feral cats have been deleted!!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nora and Albus
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
I rang Alton Towers again and asked them about the kitten. They were very rude and just kept saying 'You don't need to worry about the cats'. I explained that I did need to and anyone with a heart would. The woman snapped at me a bit more and sounded very moody and eventually passed me on to another woman. I asked her what policies were in place for the cats and she said that 'we don't just leave them' and that the park rangers would have dealt with a kitten if it was brought to their attention.

I asked if I could speak to the rangers/grounds maintenance and she said that they had no way of contacting them. So I am very unsure how they were told about the kitten in the first place if they can't contact them in any way. I also asked what had been done about the kitten I saw and she had no idea :(

I rang the RSPCA again and they said they would be willing to help with a trap neuter release programme but that the park would have to ring them in order to set it up. Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

At least we know that they have taken cats/kittens to the vets in the past. That's put my mind at ease to some extent.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 16:55:49 PM »
I have received a reply from Cheadle & District Animal Welfare Society

They are aware that the feral population has been a problem for a very long time at Alton Towers and they have in the past taken in kittens. they also said they would get veterinary attention for any kittens brought to them but they don't have the resources to deal with the problem of catching and neutering all the cats there, that it would need the intervention of CP/RSPCA.

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 18:50:33 PM »
Again Thank you so much everyone for the efforts you've all made!!

I have contacted Alton Towers again but still heard nothing back  >:( I would be interested to finally retrieve a response. And I also would be interested to hear any responses that any of you get...

I just hope that, by some miracle, the kitten has survived. :'( Even if we're too late to save him, pressuring Alton Towers into setting up a feral cat programme to insure that they are fed and receive veterinary care might mean that no other cats there suffer the same fate. I am just so angry that people allow things like this to happen.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »
Have mailed Cheadle Animal Welfare, as they are nearby, asking if they are in contact with them regarding the feral cat population.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:24 AM »
I've posted on Face Book asking people to tweet. I'm not on Twitter myself.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 06:19:33 AM »
I'll find it and will retweet.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 23:29:12 PM »
I'll try tweeting it to StreetcatBob

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 23:26:28 PM »
Tweeted via @Tanpurrs
Very poorly kitten on Alton Towers staff are refusing to help - info here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,43528.msg776778.html#msg776778 … please tweet @altontowers to help kitten

lol all my followers are cats!! ha ha ha
Hopefully this will get round, poor poor babe  :( :(

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 23:27:54 PM by Tan »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 21:58:11 PM »
I agree Susanne. What it needs is a link which can be tweeted to cat loving celebs.
That's way beyond my capabilities.

I PM'd Tan and she has tweeted it on the Purrs account which has 1,110 followers (am guessing mainly cat related)
Very poorly kitten on Alton Towers staff are refusing to help - info here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,43528.msg776778.html#msg776778 … please tweet @altontowers to help kitten

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 21:55:19 PM »
I agree Susanne. What it needs is a link which can be tweeted to cat loving celebs.
That's way beyond my capabilities.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 19:04:44 PM »
I have retweeted Louise's tweet. You'd think somewhere that is a massive attraction for families would not want kids to see such a distressing sight.
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 18:46:59 PM »
I'd retweet but a) I'm not sure I know how and b) I don't exactly have legions of followers as I dont tweet much (well, not at all really)  :rofl:

You need to get someone like Tom Cox to retweet - he has lots of followers and they will be mostly cat lovers.  Then if those people re-tweet.......

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 18:13:34 PM »
Wow! Thanks so much everyone for the replies and your wonderfully proactive actions. I do not have FB or twitter and its networks like this that will get the park to listen.
I have had sleepless nights wondering about the fate of this kitten. Hopefully,  if enough people pull together on this they will hav(e to listen. I just hope its not too late for this kitten. He was so young his eyes were still bluey colour instead of green and I can't get his face out of my head :(

I will try to spread the word aboit him on other forums. Hopefully we can do some good and even change the way the park treats its entire colony of cats. As mentioned below, the xats should be neutered and have access to veterinary care/treatment. They clearly arent feeding the cats as the poor kittten was starving :'(

Btw apologies for any mistakes/disjointed reply as I am using my phone

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 16:29:02 PM »
It's gone onto Twitter itself. What happens is that they should now get notified that they have a tweet and will read it.
More people now need to find my tweet and re tweet it so it gains momentum or just tweet something similar themselves.
I do have some "cats" as followers so hopefully they will pick it up and I'll get my stepdaughter to re tweet it.
Anyone on there who wants to retweet it please be my guest as you have my twitter ID below.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 16:19:19 PM »
Thanks Louise, I think a bit of publicity is the way to go to try and get them to act.

Not sure how it all works, can you tweet directly on to their own page? https://twitter.com/altontowers

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 16:01:49 PM »
All done
Hope this is ok
@13_loulou: @altontowers hearing about the appalling attitude to feral kittens dying at your park. Disgusting. Disney should be an example to you.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 15:56:08 PM »
I'm on Twitter. Best find the right name to quote......

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 13:49:38 PM »
I saw this article about disneyland this is what they should be doing although they sound a pretty awful organisation generally. 

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20111102/5191/disneylands-unique-pest-control-program

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 13:31:14 PM »
Just read this feedback. I'm totally disgusted. Something has to be done.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 13:16:24 PM »
http://www.ukrides.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3915&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This person also had a bad experience with kitten at Alton Towers and no help from the staff.  :(

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 13:12:45 PM »
This is terribly distressing. I have written to Alton Towers (contact on their web page) pointing out that as they have been aware of the cats for some time and accepted them they are legally responsible for seeing to their care as per the Animal Welfare Act, including defleeing, worming, feeding, shelter and, especially, veterinary care. I have pointed out that these allegations are fast spreading on social networking sites and animal welfare groups and have asked them to investigate this further. I think the more people that contact them about this the better.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
I have posted on their facebook page asking who is in charge of their welfare saying that one appears to need urgent treatment.

Excellent idea Jiji. Is anyone on twitter? I signed up ages ago but don't know how it works really and just tried to log in but it doesn't recognise me  :doh:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
If they know they have feral cats on their site they should be feeding them and getting them neutred. To say they are happy is crazy. They probably want the cats there to keep down rodents but take no responsibility for their welfare by the sound of it.

You could try Cat Protection. They helped me years ago when I'd seen some feral kittens on a camp site, they came out and trapped them. The RSPCA had offered to come and put them down  >:(

I imagine you could cause them some trouble with bad publicity if they refuse to do anything.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »
I have posted on their facebook page asking who is in charge of their welfare saying that one appears to need urgent treatment.

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
Dying/Very Ill Kitten at Alton Towers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 23:02:45 PM »
Edit:Sorry I meant to post this in "Cat welfare Issues" Section!

I am very upset about what I saw at the Alton Towers theme park on Sunday and am at a loss of what to do.

I noticed a small black kitten (Maybe 10-12 weeks old) lying by the path. I bent down to look at it and it was flea ridden, skinny and had cloudy/gammy eyes. The poor mite looked so ill. It was obviously feral and I tried to catch it but it stumbled away into the forest. I followed it but could not catch it.

I then saw it another 2 times through out the day but both times I couldn't catch it. It was running away (as feral cats do) but its back legs kept slipping away from under it. It really broke my heart.

I notified a member of staff who didn't seem to fussed and rang the RSPCA as soon as I got back from the park (I didn't bring my phone with me that day  :doh: ) and they said they couldn't send anyone out unless I was looking at the kitten myself. I then rang the park and got through to someone who didn't instil that much confidence in me that anything was going to be done. So I sent a message to the theme park customer inquiries line and got this response:

"We thank you for your concern over the Kittens, we have a large family of cats that have lived on the Resort very happily for many years. As they are used to being outside and fending for themselves they would be unsuitable for relocation.

Again thank you for your concern but our resident cats are very happy."

I am unsure about how a starving and ill kitten that can barely find the strength to run away from me is 'very happy'!!

I replied very politely that the cat was dying and that I wasn't suggesting rehoming/moving a healthy feral cat but saying we should save a very ill kitten that has no chance without intervention. I also asked for an update asap from them so they don't ignore me...

I know there are so many cats like this out there but the fact that nobody is willing to try to help this poor kitten is so heartbreaking. They could easily find it as it was in the same place and I saw it many times through the day. If it wasn't in the resort I could go back and maybe try more myself and attempt to catch it again but I live 2 hours drive away, have no car and don't think that Alton Towers will be too pleased with me coming there just to catch a kitten. I have an awful feeling that the resort is not going to bother doing anything at all...  :'(

Is there anything I can do to make sure this kitten has a chance? I want to fight for it, even if its chances are slim.
If anyone has any advice I would be so grateful.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:24:29 AM by EmandNora »

Link to CatChat