Author Topic: keeping indoor cats cool  (Read 1236 times)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Re: keeping indoor cats cool
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 21:06:55 PM »
I remember being told to wipe Amber down with a damp face cloth but she wasnt impressed. It may work though as the parents dog is quite happy having a damp towel draped over him.
Then again I think Amber can cope with more heat than me as I have a fan in the front room and bedroom and shes lying on the window sill getting hotter and hotter  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 20:43:23 PM »
Bonnie's indoor and I can only open windows a little and at the moment no breeze anyway.

As mentioned I have kept my blinds closed downstairs and I have a fan up and downstairs.

A few nights I've had the fan on upstairs most of the night.

Coolest place is the kitchen but Bonnie's still laying on the bad and on the carpet as mentioned below, so I wouldn't bother buying any lino or tiles.

I've also been brushing her more - don't know if it helps.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 16:42:37 PM »
The wipe clean cushion covers you get for pet beds seem to be prefered by my dog Connor (sorry not kitty here yet).   If you use a fan, then place a bowl of iced water in front to help hydrate the air in the room.  Close the curtains, open doors so you can get a cross draft through the house, this works even with the outer doors closed.    You can get cooling jackets for dogs but I am not sure if they would work for a cat, although I would think a XS would fit.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 16:05:56 PM »
I find blackout blinds help, my bedroom is at the back of the house and gets full sun for most of the day but when the blinds are closed the temperature is much more bearable. Other than that keeping all curtains and blinds closed helps keep the heat out.

Offline beowulf

• Adult Cat
  • Willow and Jessie's provider
  • Slave to: Willow and Jessie-Moo
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 13:27:27 PM »
i made some screens last week............fivers worth of chicken wire, fivers worth of thin wood, some self adhesive velcro, .....that way they can be removed when needed so the windows can be closed. Willows has taken to standing on the coffee table, front paws on the screen so she can watch the world go by and get her fur ruffled by the (slight!) breeze

plenty of water bowls down, ice cubes in to keep cool, changed several times a day

she dosnt worry about the cool lino, seems to prefer hiding under the sofa or coffee table

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 13:26:32 PM »
This was posted on Ron's Cats on facebook

KEEPING OUR PETS COOL
   I saw these tips from pet owners and shelters via the Celia Hammond   Animal trust - might be useful as this hot weather is here to stay for a   while:-

1) A friend of mine suggested to us for our kitties,   hot water bottles! stay with me, but you freeze them. Obviously leaving   enough space for the frozen water to expand in them, and then a blanket   or towel wrapped over them. Her burmese kitties have been sitting and   lying on them during the day to keep cool.

2) You can get ice pods from amazon for animals - I have the ice pads for my guinea pigs

3) Some bunny owners have been putting ceramic tiles in the freezer   then using in hutches. Apparently they're very effective though you'd   need bigger tiles. May give cool spots in pens though..

4) Apparently freezing house bricks works! - I freeze bottles of water.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 13:24:45 PM »
We have carpets upstairs and hard floors downstairs but our two still prefer to flop on the carpets!

I put a cotton pillowcase on the bedroom floor where Drum likes to lie, thinking it would be a bit cooler for her than the carpet, but she doesn't seem too bothered.

Cupboards are often quite cool, especially understairs ones, so if you have one perhaps you could leave the door open for them.

I'd like to hear of any other tips though. :)
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
keeping indoor cats cool
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
ive had a look  :shify: and i couldnt see this as a topic but i may be missing it...

does anyone have any tips on what theyre doing to make life more comfortable? 

I have water fountain going, second one on order and on way, regular additions of ice cubes to these to keep the water pleasant, the bath is about 3 inches deep of cold water to try to take the edge off some heat, the tops of cupboards are clear so they can lie on them. all the windows are cracked - i want some screens but its not possible till payday- my old house was deliciously cool and didnt need them  :tired:- were opening the windows when we can keep an eye on them. and its still too warm! 

part of my probelm is that the house is almost totally carpetted- only the kitchen isnt but its tiny.

do you think its worth looking into buying some lino or tiles short term?

Link to CatChat