Author Topic: After a few years, I can now tickle George!  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
Re: After a few years, I can now tickle George!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
I've had Billy all his seven years. Hardly ever purrs. No matter how much fuss or dreamies he gets. Sitting beside me now, looking for moths. He does have a big, deep contented sigh when he is sleeping. That's all you expect  from him. Spends  a lot of time posting in cat section though.  :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 04:48:36 AM »
I noticed that George was molting (sp?) badly, so chanced a "visit from Mr Brush". He enjoyed it, especially when I brushed him round his neck and the base of his tail, where he had lots of loose fur. He won't allow me to approach him from the front for a stroke, I have to begin by stroking his back.

No luck with Pebbles yet. He still bunny hops and runs off. He loves playing with Da Bird though. Perhaps I'll try to persuade him to play with a toy which requires slightly closer contact: a shorter wand-type toy? This might get him playing closer to me and so lose some of his fear.

I'm hoping that it won't be long before I have six cuddly domestics.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
It is the best feeling in the world I now have more nice ferals than nasties and the first purr is the most wonderful thing ;D

Having said that the headbutting sessions at feeding time between my nasties - just to humans love other cats and the dogs brings a chorus of purrs and it is again a wonderful thing
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
That's so good to hear! Well done for persevering I'm sure they will all come around soon when they see how much the others are enjoying being loved.  :cat rub:

When I took Chubby in he was strictly hands off for ages, but eventually I could get near him with a comb! He adored being combed around his face and shoulders and when he did run out of patience with me it was the comb that took the punch rather than my hand. Maybe Cyd or Pebbles would allow a little gentle combing during Dreamie sessions?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 23:40:28 PM »
Thanks everyone. He let me do it again last night and went into an absolute ecstasy of purring. It was as though he'd suddenly realised that there was something he'd been missing out on.

Later, I was able to give Cyd the merest stroke along his back. I left it at that and will take things very slowly.

Lucy's group have been very defensive up till now and considered me "the enemy". I've left them more or less to come round in their own time. Hopefully, they've decided that time is now.
The treats help. So does Da Bird.  ;)
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Nona

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mr.Cuddle und Peisha
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 16:19:10 PM »
Aww, that is great! I looove tickling Mr. Cuddle and Peisha. Peisha however didn't want it for a long time aswell. They will come around some day :)
Purr, purr pur purr

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 16:10:13 PM »
That's lovely  :hug: Lets hope the others aren't far behind, tickles are the best and sad to think of them missing out :care:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 15:47:04 PM »
Well done, that is lovely to hear!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
how great that he is finally coming round!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 00:20:39 AM »
Well done  ;D ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
After a few years, I can now tickle George!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 00:11:54 AM »
Of the six ex-ferals I have, the only ones I've been able to handle are Fred, Victoria and, recently, Lucy. Lucy loves Fred and has seen him being fussed by me and heard him purr, so over the last month or so she's let me stroke her down her back and rub her head.

Her sons, however, have remained untouchable. Each time I've tried to touch them, they do a bunny hop and run away. Until last night.

I was feeding them some treats: Dreamies, from my hand. While George was eating from my left hand, I sneakily began stroking his back with my right. He finished the Dreamies, by which time I was tickling him behind the ears and he was purring like an engine. He let me continue making a fuss of him for about five minutes, but he drew the line when I tried to rub him beneath his chin. He jumped down and began washing himself.  :cheer:

Four down, two to go!

I've been playing da bird with them lots since they 'disappeared' due to the hot weather, and this seems to have helped bond them a little more. (Touch Wood) they've all been turning up at mealtimes.

Now to continue with George and begin work on Cyd and Pebbles.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 00:14:41 AM by Hippykitty »

Link to CatChat