Author Topic: suggestions needed to encourage cat to eat  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: suggestions needed to encourage cat to eat
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
Welcome home Basil! Glad to hear that he is eating again now  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
glad to hear he is doing better, I think they do do better at home generally

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »
Hello again,
Basil came home yesterday. I was going to keep him indoors until he was eating properly but, he whinged and whined so much that I let him out. He started to eat and drink later and has continued today so, that is a big relief. Let's hope he stays well.  Thank you again to all who replied.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 22:58:35 PM »
........ there will not be anyone there apart from a brief visit to check on Basil.

Have you asked the vet why Basil is there if no one is nursing him?  Have I misunderstood something?

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 13:11:07 PM »
Hi sorry basil is poorly, we had our cat ill a few months ago, similar to you boys symptoms. He was tested for a lot of things, he wouldn't eat at the vets, but as soon as he got home he ate lots. The vet said he was too stressed in there so it was best for us to bring him home.

He is a very food driven cat.

He had a couple of dose of appetite increase medication. He soon gained weight, but it took him some time to get back to being his usual self.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »
Thank you. I have not gone to the vet's to try to feed Basil. I think that being a Sunday, there will not be anyone there apart from a brief visit to check on Basil. I have assumed that the vet feels it will be ok until tomorrow. I will read the info on the CFR site. :thanks: :thanks:

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bobby & Beau (Dolly RIP)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
hi,

I totally agree with 'Rosella moggy', but  as well as appetite stimulants suggested, you could always try putting a little food on the cat's face, I find they have to wash their faces and it can start the process of eating.
Good luck and I hope he starts eating soon.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
Have you gone to vet and tried to get him to eat yourself?  If you have, I think I'd bring him home today rather than leave till tomorrow unless your vet objects of course.

I'm sure vet knows about any appropriate appetite stimulants and here is a link to Tanya's CRF website as poor appetites are very common with CRF cats.

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

I have finger fed warmed through AD Diet a dozen times a day to Tom when he was ill and wouldn't eat. 

Every good wish to you and Basil  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
suggestions needed to encourage cat to eat
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
Hello, some of you may remember my cat Basil who went AWOL for 5 weeks recently. He returned home incredibly skinny but after a day or so, he resumed eating and drinking. We kept him indoors for another 4 weeks so he started to go out again about 10 days ago. This week, he developed a high temperature, stopped eating  and was listless. The vet could find no cause so did not want to give AB. Instead he treated the temperature and said to come back in a day if Basil was still not eating. He wasn't eating so we went back yesterday. The vet immediately put him on a drip as he was very dehydrated and took blood. Initially, he was very negative about the prognosis. However, the results are all negative so Basil has been on a drip at the vets and was given ABs.  Today, the vet called saying he has no temperature and is no longer dehydrated but, he is refusing to eat or drink. IMO, this is typical Basil behaviour. He will not eat if he is stressed. He has never been a good eater anyway. The vet wants to keep him in until tomorrow but if he still won't eat, he will come home then. My question is, is there anything we can give him to increase his appetite? We have tried a variety of foods over the years but he  just seems to be finiky. Normally I would not be so bothered but he has still not regained the weight that he lost whilst AWOL and has now lost even more since this recent event. I need to build him up! :thanks:

Link to CatChat