Author Topic: Collar recomendations please  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Collar recomendations please
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »

It's always a tricky one, the collar question, with very good arguments for and against.  If you choose a proper safety collar, with a quick release clasp, and ensure it's properly fitted (the two finger rule) then they should be safe but it's never a 100% guarantee, and you may need to keep a supply of spares for when they get lost.

In an ideal world, and without wanting to be pessimistic, I'd prefer not to have to put a collar on a cat, but if Mac hadnt been wearing a collar when he was killed we'd never have got to know.  The people who found him only knew how to contact us because of the collar tag - they admitted they'd never have thought of looking for a microchip, and saw no point in  taking him to a vet as he was dead when they found him.

Not everyone knows about microchipping, and not everyone cares.

I guess the acid test for me is whether I can embrace the view a missing cat was potentially just that - missing - happy with someone else somewhere else or the alternative that they'd been killed or injured and I didnt know because anyone who'd found them wouldnt know how to get in touch.

Sadly, having lost 2 cats where I never did find out what happened to them, the not knowing was worse than the finality of knowing what happened when Mac was killed, distressing though that was.  That's just my personal experience.

There are some very good collar manufacturers online, such as Dainty Paws, Mogs Togs, Poppyseed Cats and Kittyboo Collars, all of whom make the safety of their collars a priority, and who supply collars in different sizes.

I hope you get the property you want, and arrive at a decision you and Amber will feel comfortable with. 

:crossed:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 20:06:38 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

This has now become a little more important as I think Ive found somewhere. Its an end terrace on a no through road so no passing traffic. Theres a little back yard with a wall on one side and a fence on the other. Im not planning on letting Amber out as such but as the doors open to the world I want to make sure she's safe. I dont like the idea of putting a collar on her but I dont want her to get lost either. The plan would be to keep the collar on until I know how she reacts to moving. Seeing as she wasnt pleased I moved her food yesterday thanks to a leak I cant imagine what she will be like in a new place with an upstairs never mind an outside  :Crazy:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 15:52:56 PM »
Perhaps look for somewhere where you would be able to cat-proof the garden?

Alfie has a collar on, initially to tell people that he is not a stray but now it also holds the magnet for the cat-flap. It is tighter than I like (I can just get 2 fingers underneath) and it is rubbing his fur - but he takes it off if it is any looser.

Good luck with the house hunting, I hope you find somewhere that is just right for both of you!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 20:45:13 PM »
When I say cottage I mean the northern kind of 1up 1 down coronation street not the plants around the door country chocolate box kind
Im just scared that as Amber moved in back in 1999 and hasnt been out since she has no road sense and although I plan to keep her in I cant say she wont escape. I would do the tag part as well as i grew up with dogs so tags are the standard thing
If Im honest Im trying not to panic and trying even harder not to panic Amber into a cystitis attack. Of course it may not happen or maybe not yet but Ive never had a cat that had a 1 door access to the outdoor world
Thank you

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 20:03:31 PM »
Pursley has a bald ring aound her neck from a nylon collar she wore for years, it literally wore her fur off  :-[ so now I only put collars on mine when there is a real need.
Like now, Ivan is new to us so is wearing a collar and tag to, hopefully, prevent people from feeding him. I also have a collar on Theo because he's a little tramp and keeps telling the neighbourhood kids he's unloved and homeless.  :doh:

I also had a cat who got her front leg through the collar and hurt herself. Thus was an elasticated collar so I won't use these again.

If she's on a quick release clip collar and it's too loose she will either get it off or get her paw or lower jaw stuck in it so they need to be properly fitted. The rule of thumb is that you can just fit two fingers under the collar,  this allows her free movement but not too loose so she can get a paw in there.

You alo need to check and double check the action of the clip, so they DO fail and may get stuck in the closed position, this could be catestrophic so it's really important to test the collar for damage regularly and change it if the clip seems to be either too slack or too tight.

I've used Ancol collars for a few years and had varying degrees of satisfaction with them, they're nylon so are robust and do keep their size once set to length, but occasionally I've had to ditch them because the clips were way too stiff for my peace of mind. The clips also become brittle with time so need to be checked regulary.

I also have penny sized ID tags engraved with my postcode, house number and phone number on, which I attach to the collars. Not only does it identify the cat as being local, but I often get calls from people who have found shed collars so I get them back, along with valuable information as to where my cats have been roaming.

Hope some of this is helpful. God luck with the move, I can picture your cottage.  ;D

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 19:45:31 PM »
I forgot to say if you know me on facebook please dont mention this on there as I havent told a lot of people Im looking to move  :thanks:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Collar recomendations please
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 19:12:30 PM »
Ive only once had a collar on Amber and it was a buckle fastening and too big so she shreded the end and then got her foot stuck in it and then removed both it and the cone it was holding on her head and removed her spay stitches etc etc. After that as Im 4 floors up and she would need to get past quite a few doors to escape I never bothered.
Now though Im trying to move and would be looking at a cottage not a flat so the front door would lead to the outside world. Obviously if that happens Amber will be chipped before the move and be in the cattery during the move but I cant help but think cats without collars if they escape arent always checked for chips so I want to get her used to having a collar on again.
Im just scared of her getting her foot in it or hurting herself so any advice you can give would be great
Thank you

Link to CatChat