Author Topic: Horizon 13th June  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
Re: Horizon 13th June
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
I saw some of it last night. Might have been the second part.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
We were on holiday but caught the repeat of the first one last night. The Munchkin was riveted and spent much time looking for the cats behind the TV  :evillaugh:

I thought the 'timeshare' thing was fascinating- certainly explained a lot of things I've noticed with our local cats.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
For anyone who missed it or the 2nd one, like I did, it's repeated tonight.

BBC2 6.00 p.m. for the Secret Life of cats and followed by the Cat Diaries at 7.00 p.m.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 13:21:59 PM »
I watched the second program a couple of days ago. I couldn't believe the experiment in the room where the cat went to the stranger. That was so weird. I would never volunteer my cats for such an experiment because they wouldn't come out of their carriers, they are very scared of strangers. I can't imagine many cats going to a stranger like that unless they are super confident. I wondered if the cats that are volunteered are very out going and like to interact with other people.

Not saying that I'm not a cat slave, OH says I'm bottom of the pack . 

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »
I recorded and watched it as well.  It still fulfills what I call the BBC effect of seeing something killed within 5 minutes of it starting (a cheetah scene), this phenomena only started with a certain wild life presenter took over 20 some years ago.  I've never watched a BBC produced wildlife programme since and I have complained to them plenty of times and they just ignore it.

I loved the programme.  I bet a lot of moggy owners are going to want their own GPS and camera now,  I know I would.  It has also given me a bit of relief knowing that when I did get a cat they wouldn't roam that far.   It also shows how little they catch in a group of 50 cats over a week period I think it was about 20 catches in total, with fewer brought home to the parents to inspect.

There's a follow up show tonight on at 10 pm (daft time if you ask me) doing the little cat diaries, so I may stay up to watch that as well. When your a carer 24/7 it all depends if one has the energy left at the end of the day to prop ones eyes open with match sticks to watch anything. :rofl:

Just to say, I totally agree with you about BBC wildlife programmes, I know nature is cruel and  things get killed blah blah but I don't need to see it in graphic detail   :sick:.  It would be nice to see just ONE wildlife programme which educates and entertains without a gorefest, Meerkat Manor completely ruined a Sunday afternoon for me and my Mum once, it was horrific and left us traumatised!  XXX

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 17:30:54 PM »
Although cats can, and do, form bonds with other cats, I think they only appear to live in groups in the wild due to lack of space to spread out?   A mother may live with her kittens when they are older but in general they are solitary animals.  Each cat usually catches their own prey and eats it - no sharing or grouping together to bring down larger prey.  I say usually because there are always exceptions and I'm sure there are examples of cats co-operating but I don't believe it's the norm.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 16:00:08 PM »
I haven't watched the second one yet. The first program mentioned a few times that cats were solitary animals, I know they hunt on their own, but when you see them in the wild they are usually in feral groups aren't they? I know when you see them in ruins in Italy etc they are in what I would imagine are family groups. I don't like it when they say this as it seems more like a myth surrounding cats that they don't bother to look into. We adopt cats traditional on their own so obviously they are going to stay that way because they have been taken out of their family group.

I think of cats like children, most of them are pretty ungrateful and if something better come along they will happily ditch you. But in the end they know you are there for them and appreciate it. Even if they don't show it.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 15:29:25 PM »
I was seething at the owner who was smarmily sitting on sofa with the huge dog and then saying stuff just for the cameras.

I am not so sure about the experiment cos the stranger had a cat toy which she continued to play with so the cat was more interested in the one who was playing.

Cats are clever and liked that she was being played with so think they did not carry this out scientifically.

However I agree we are just dumb slaves and if the cat is unhappy and has the choice, they will leave for better accomodation and slaves  :rofl:

However how does your cat react when you collect them from the vet after a stay or minor op? I know mine are very happy to see me  :innocent:  Even Sasa before her allowing to be stroked days used to start bouncing in the cage as we turned into my road! She knew she was home.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
Agree about the cat who moved in with neighbour - who could blame him with children and a dog to contend with. I too was a bit annoyed with the original owner who didn't seem to get it. Some cats and dogs get on fine together but if the cat was there first and couldn't cope with the dog then surely rehoming the dog would have been the obvious thing to do.

I was unsurprised at the experiment too - the saying dogs have masters, cats have slaves is very true as we all know! That's why we love them.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »
OH and I were laughing so hard at the cat/owner bond experiment.  I'd like to think that mine are different and would come rushing to me, but the harsh reality is that would only be the case if I was carrying food!   

I was wondering whether anyone watching the tv last night would recognise the stray as a cat they lost some time ago.  I know he was unneutered but I guess it's possible that an owner who hasn't got him neutered for whatever reason, or he escaped from somewhere before he could be neutered, has been missing him.  Can you imagine! 

I also felt a bit sorry for the giant cat who moved house.  It made me a bit cross because the previous owner was bemoaning the fact that he wasn't happy with the children, and then when they got the dog it was the final straw and he left home...but there was 'nothing she could do'.  Errr....don't get a dog when you've already got the cat to think about?  Kitty seems much happier over the road in his nice quiet home, though  :wow:

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »
Cats certainly have us pigeon holed as servants, slaves or general dogsbodies to attend to their every whim.  :rofl:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »
I watched the follow up show which was as interesting as the first.  They show a psychology experiment which confirms that dogs are like humans and become inprinted/treat their owners like parents while the cat sees them as servants.  Anyone who has ever owned a cat can confirm that one, we are definately service providers rather then pet parents.

I'm glad they planned to rescue the stray and had already found a home, hopefully his going to get caught and become another resident of the home he was invading.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 00:16:59 AM »
Sounds good!  Got it recorded, so still have it to look forward to.

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 18:35:05 PM »
Not on BBC2 Scotland but recorded Rory Bremner at new Scottish parliament. I like Rory, so its not so bad. I don't bother with the iplayer .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 18:35:55 PM by Greenlaner »

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 17:34:02 PM »
Bear in mind, a Bengal is a closer relation to a wild cat. Is he neutered?

Yep! And he lives (seemingly harmoniously) with another cat in their house.  I think he is so territorial that when he smells the signals from other cats, he doesn't back off and go another direction, it makes him mad to think there's another cat on what he views as his territory, even though it's my garden!

I did think the bit about the timeshare was interesting, and like others am also reassured that they really don't tend to go far.  Mine have loc8tor trackers and 99 times out of 100 when I've been searching for Milly outdoors she's been hiding under a bush about 3 ft away from me  :rofl:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 15:37:35 PM »
The BBC site has an interactive page about the cat journeys - click on a cat to see where he/she went.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 15:14:44 PM »
I enjoyed the program, it was apposite as Alfie had just been duffed up by a big black + white that I didn't recognise!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
I found it interesting, especially the time share thing and I thought cats would roam further so was a bit surprised how close to home most of them stayed (Jaffa and Mosi are indoor cats - I have no experience of outdoor cats).  I thought that 6 cat household at the end was lovely and great to see how well a multi cat household can function given how many cat behaviourists etc. talk about multi cat households being not so good in general.  In a way it makes me feel better about keeping J&M as indoor cats given that most seem to prefer to stay at home (not that I feel bad about it but I know I am depriving them of something even if it is for their own benefit).  Interesting how they reckon cats are adapting and becoming more pet like and less like wild animals.  And such a small amount of prey - not much ammunition for the cat haters there.

That family made me laugh when they talked about the cats calling the shots (no surprise to anyone on here) and the man reckoned they were a bit unique  :rofl:

Loved the 2 purrs - soliciting and non soliciting.  Jaffa was purring this morning whilst I was gearing up to breakfast and it was clearly a soliciting purr and I noticed it was a bit different to the purrs he was giving me earlier when we had a cuddle in bed.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
wasn't really what I was expecting although not sure what I was thinking it would be about! 

Me too! I think I was a disappointed with the footage from the cameras, not much of interest, and you couldn't really see what went on with Gingers stand off  :Crazy:

What I did find interesting was the 'time share' thing, and the multi cat household.

Found the footage of the tupperware boxes a bit unecassary  :(

I will be taping it tonight as well tho  ;)
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
wasn't really what I was expecting although not sure what I was thinking it would be about!  good to hear that in the main they don't go far, makes me feel much better about my lot being captive in the garden!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
I recorded and watched it as well.  It still fulfills what I call the BBC effect of seeing something killed within 5 minutes of it starting (a cheetah scene), this phenomena only started with a certain wild life presenter took over 20 some years ago.  I've never watched a BBC produced wildlife programme since and I have complained to them plenty of times and they just ignore it.

I loved the programme.  I bet a lot of moggy owners are going to want their own GPS and camera now,  I know I would.  It has also given me a bit of relief knowing that when I did get a cat they wouldn't roam that far.   It also shows how little they catch in a group of 50 cats over a week period I think it was about 20 catches in total, with fewer brought home to the parents to inspect.

There's a follow up show tonight on at 10 pm (daft time if you ask me) doing the little cat diaries, so I may stay up to watch that as well. When your a carer 24/7 it all depends if one has the energy left at the end of the day to prop ones eyes open with match sticks to watch anything. :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 00:09:53 AM »
It was interesting though, and did go to show us that our local Psycho Bengal really does have a screw loose because he clearly either doesn't read (or ignores) the cat post-it notes, and/or he actually wants to fight whereas most cats don't.  Three cheers for our sureflap microchip cat flap  :evillaugh:

Bear in mind, a Bengal is a closer relation to a wild cat. Is he neutered?

I found it pretty interesting too. I love the multicat household at the end with the clearly bonded cats. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 23:44:41 PM »
Very good programme and another tomorrow  ;D

The little cat diarys.....think some specific cats from tonight

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 22:39:44 PM »
I rather enjoyed it!  Without wanting to give too much away, there is a little bit on hunting - not showing them actually doing it, but they ask owners to bring along anything that their cats have caught, so there is one part where they show the tupperware pots of the things that the cats have brought back which was a bit grim  :( 

It was interesting though, and did go to show us that our local Psycho Bengal really does have a screw loose because he clearly either doesn't read (or ignores) the cat post-it notes, and/or he actually wants to fight whereas most cats don't.  Three cheers for our sureflap microchip cat flap  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 21:32:01 PM »
Its recording and notice all the usual suspects on FB are missing  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 21:27:39 PM »
Way to go Ginger  :evillaugh:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 21:21:03 PM »
So many lovely looking cats and some of them look huge

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 21:03:04 PM »
Its on nooowwwwww

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 14:36:41 PM »
I also will be recording to cut out any nasty bits

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 13:29:35 PM »
Animals eating animals (or insects etc) is all part of the circle of life (ooh I feel a song coming on here!) and essential to maintaining a healthy ecosystem. If that balance crumbles all living things in that ecosystem suffer. Life is harsh for animals in the wild and although in terms of time most of their time is spent sleeping or doing very little (which doesn't make for a very interesting tv programme) but, depending on the individual circs, life for most wild animals involves hunger , thirst and fighting. It ain't easy out there!  I studied biology and environmental science at uni then did part of a masters in behavioural ecology so I tend to put my scientific hat on when watching wildlife programmes on tv. It's survival of the fittest out there.

Having said that, I hope this programme doesn't bring out the cat haters as most stuff talked about cats presaging birds is nonspence and without scientific evidence. It's man who is responsible for decline of so many bird habitats not cats.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
At least the animals that cats kill have a good life and a chance to escape unlike most of the animals we eat.

Exactly, and the ones that cats (and other predators) do catch are usually sickly, old or weak so it keeps the local population healthy.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
I hate wildlife programmes, never watch them. I wouldn't watch Tom and Jerry when I was a kid because I got too upset about Tom always getting beaten up.

I hope they don't concentrate to much on the killing though. I was reading an article recently about how wildlife programmes always make out animals lives are much harder than they really are and that there is much more killing than is realistically happening. I suppose they want to make it more interesting and dramatic for the viewers. This could go against cats as many don't kill anything but cats lazing around and sniffing stuff and eating some grass probably won't make great TV. As you say Jezebel this will play into the hands of cat haters.   

At least the animals that cats kill have a good life and a chance to escape unlike most of the animals we eat.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18:47 AM »
I like watching animals behaving naturally and seeing the different strategies they use to survive.  Our little furballs are little killing machines after all.

So do I, I just hope this doesn't bring out the cat haters who think all cats do is kill birds all day (these people are always oblivious to how many chickens and other animals they've eaten in their life, of course!).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:19:57 AM by jezebel »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
Sounds right up my street  :evillaugh:

Not because I like watching things being killed, but I like watching animals behaving naturally and seeing the different strategies they use to survive.  Our little furballs are little killing machines after all.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 07:44:20 AM »
My OH is much worse than me for skipping upsetting stuff.  We haven't watched a wildlife programme in over 20 years I think  :-:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 22:25:08 PM »
Nice to see you have a useful man  :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 22:04:50 PM »
I find OH is really useful in these situations, I make him watch any bits that look like they are going to be horrible while I pop to the loo or make tea. Then he can tell me when I can look again. 

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 20:49:25 PM »
Oh no.  I'm recording it so if it is bad I'll whiz through the horrid stuff.  Was hoping it was just the daft stuff they get up to.

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 18:54:14 PM »
oh dear

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 18:28:14 PM »
My brother thinks it will not be our cup of tea as he thinks there will be hunting involved i.e. the cats killing stuff not t'other way round  :shy:

I'll give it a whirl though until any hunting footage ......

Link to CatChat