Author Topic: help me talk my friend out of allowing her young cat to have kittens!!!!  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
Re: help me talk my friend out of allowing her young cat to have kittens!!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 19:24:41 PM »
i agree x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 17:25:25 PM »
Thats great news and so agree with Sheila cos open discussion on sensitive issues need to happen gentley and it helps not only those on Purrs but the followers and lurkers from outside  ;D ;D ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 17:19:34 PM »
Such a relief.  :hug:

I think this thread was very worthwhile, Smudgey, as there would be a lot of people wanting the same advice who might not have achieved the result you did.

Purrs members have brought some really excellent ideas to the table because of your question, I'm sure this will help many people in the future.  :)

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 16:29:40 PM »
Thanks to all for replys
she told me a few days ago Buddy and Bella are both neutered now :-)

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
2 reasons not to do it..............1) she's on benefits and clearly can not afford to spay both kitties, therefore she will not be able to afford the cost of a preg cat and then a litter of kittens 2) she'd be adding to a population of unwanted cats and what for?

CP will help but be aware that vets are currently putting the average cost of spaying up (found this out with a few local vets this week) and that she may have to pay something towards the cost.  If she does get full CP cover, then advise her to put at least £50 aside, in case something happens in the op or that the kitty has to be returned to have stitches redone or an infection dealt with.

I'm not on a very high income but I would suggest before she goes ahead with spaying, to have both cats insured, that way if something does happen at any time, she can claim the money back.  But she can not get coverage for any issues that happened before being insured (this goes for anything that could be caused due to being spayed).

If she can find an 'active vet care' surgery, they run a scheme where you pay £9.99 per month for full jabs, spaying, deworming etc, so it makes it easier to pay, if that helps.

Offline Sykora

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Haka, Molly and my 2 Special Needs Wallis and Barnaby
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »
Take her to any RSPCA or CPL shelter where they are over run with unwanted kittens and they have to combine kittens with other litters and cats have to share pens with others ...tell her at the worst someone high up in the rspca can call for euthanasia ...ive seen this when volunteering and saw the poor workers in bits ...it annoyed me that he could swan in and call for that then go again when the amamazing people who actually work with and care for these cats have to deal with having to put some to sleep purely because there are too many.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 17:56:11 PM »
Check the links above and you'll find a link to CatChat where you can find the number of your local Cat Protection. Give this to her so that she can phone them to see if they have vouchers for people on benefits. This would at least help your friend with the cost of neutering.

Hippykitty thanks they r offering free neutering which will help her alot thanks all for the replies xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »
Check the links above and you'll find a link to CatChat where you can find the number of your local Cat Protection. Give this to her so that she can phone them to see if they have vouchers for people on benefits. This would at least help your friend with the cost of neutering.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 23:28:22 PM »
If she's on benefits she should be able to get assistance from the local CP. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 21:20:41 PM »
excerpts from an email received from Glenn, RSPCA coventry manager this afernoon

"Hi Angie,
Just out of interest the RSPCA is reinstating Cat Neutering Vouchers with the inspectors and branches with less than 12 months reserve so we may be able to start offering Cat Welfare Neutering too.

Cat situation is beyond crazy, we are licensed for 60 cats and the number we have in our care (including kittens) has not dropped below 100 for two months and reached over 140. Spoke to Burton animal centre and she is licensed for 30 and had 117 and we have over 200 Cats in private boarding just in the west section of the region !!! Worrying times ! (not even mentioning my waiting list) ......"

Angie this has shocked me to the core

I had no idea things were so bad in the local rescues

I am so sad to hear this

what can we do to help out if anything?????

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 21:16:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies it was apparently just a mad drunken moment when she spojke to her mum who panicked lol

she is gonna get both of her babies neutered the girl 1st cos she can only afford one at a time

just out of interest are there any vouchers as she is on benefits with 2 young kiddies ??

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 19:14:47 PM »
excerpts from an email received from Glenn, RSPCA coventry manager this afernoon

"Hi Angie,
Just out of interest the RSPCA is reinstating Cat Neutering Vouchers with the inspectors and branches with less than 12 months reserve so we may be able to start offering Cat Welfare Neutering too.

Cat situation is beyond crazy, we are licensed for 60 cats and the number we have in our care (including kittens) has not dropped below 100 for two months and reached over 140. Spoke to Burton animal centre and she is licensed for 30 and had 117 and we have over 200 Cats in private boarding just in the west section of the region !!! Worrying times ! (not even mentioning my waiting list) ......"

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 16:56:11 PM »
I don't have a link (and am at work so can't search) but try to find that video about all the cats put to sleep because of no homes - I think it's american?  I vaguely remember it but it's a video showing lots of pics of rescue kitties accompanied by text showing how many are put to sleep and emotive music.  If that doesn't change her mind nothing will.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Show your friend the "Cats needing homes" pages on Purrs and CatChat.

Seeing all those cats who already exist and are in desperate need of homes may make her think twice. It was a deciding factor in my decision to keep Lucy and her ready-made kittens; ferals who I'd taken in because Lucy nested in my verandah and they all developed flu. Originally, I was going to re-home them, but seeing so many cats already seeking homes was a huge influence on me to keep them, turning my family of cats from two to six.

I hope your friend can be dissuaded from breeding her cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
People think there's something cute about kittens being born in their homes, not thinking about anything but their own selfish romantic notions, especially not the health of the poor mum cat or the lives of those 4 or 8 rescue kittens that could have gone to the homes she's aiming her kittens at.

If she wants kittens to keep, why not take her to a rescue to meet some pre-made that she can choose the colour, sex and temperament (none of which you can do with home-made kittens) and take home in a box with her, without all that risk to her own cat.

If she doesn't want kittens to keep, then ask her to examine her own motives for putting her cat through all this risk, and bringing resultant kittens into a world where they are unlikely to find homes. Is she broody? Or perhaps thinking of selling them as commodities?

If she's thinking of selling them, and you want to get really brutal, you might also show her the *Bumtree (sic) site, so she can see how many thousands of cats and kittens are being offered for sale or free of charge by stupid people like her who assume, wrongly, they could make money from prostituting out their poor cat.

On the other hand, if she seriously wants to be a mid-wife to a Mum cat, see if the local rescue has a ready-to-pop Mum who needs a Foster home for herself and her babies. If your friend has the time and inclination to indulge her own cat a litter or two, maybe it's a resource just waiting to be tapped and she might help a genuinely needy Mum cat get the care she deserves, then your friend can offer these kittens to the home she had lined up for hers?
Once she's seen how it works in real life maybe her fantasy of cute ikkul kittuns will seem less romantic.

Salute what you are trying to do, I hope she's a true friend and listens to your advice.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
so many reasons to do it but still people don't  :'(

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Good luck with trying to persuade her  :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
This is Molly....she's ten months old, and was taken to the vets Nicky works at to be put to sleep because her owners no longer wanted her. This is an every day occurrence now; kittens even younger are being taken in for the same reason.

Thankfully Molly was signed over to Blackpool Cats in Care and is looking for her new home. But tell your friend that one litter cant potentially take away homes for as many kittens as her cat has....as well as exposing her cat to unnecessary health risks as the link highlights.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
help me talk my friend out of allowing her young cat to have kittens!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 20:33:28 PM »
As the title says..................
I am sure I have seen an article/post on here with the cons of allowing this can anyone help???
Please

Link to CatChat