Author Topic: Cats not eating much!!  (Read 1325 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: Cats not eating much!!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 15:51:30 PM »
I think I need to weight the food and see how much I am prob giving them without realising.

I mentioned it to my friend last night and she told me her vet had actually said the food companies tell you to give your cats too much so the food goes quicker and you buy more!! She was worried her wee man was getting a dodgy tummy all the time - she explained she was feeding as per the packet instructions for RC and he explained it was about 20gr too much a day - so that is something interesting!! Since she cut the food back he has not had the runs again and maintained his weight  :shocked:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 19:38:52 PM »
Same happening here.  My three haven't cleared their bowls for days now but all seem happy and normal so I assume it's the warmer weather.  Minnie is eight and Bertie and Bella are both three, so nothing to do with age, I don't think  :shify:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 17:53:50 PM »
It also might be worth mentioning that the weather has started to get a bit warmer the last few days ... I dunno about the rest of you, but mine definitely eat less when spring kicks in.  Meesha goes from my little xmas pudding to the tiniest cat you can imagine!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
It depends what you mean by "a few mouthfuls of dry".  They don't need much dry food as it's very calorific, so I'd guess they are getting enough.  If they're not losing weight, they must be.  When I fed dry food with just a bit of wet, I gave about 30g dry per day plus one pouch of wet food.  That was for youngish, reasonably active (and good sized) cats.  If you measure out 30g of the RC, you'll find it doesn't look much.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »
my oldies dont eat that much. Molly (15) normally only eats one pouch a day, and only a small amount of dry, but if she is on Perfect Fit she can eat 2 pouches. Zia and Rosie (17 and 15) do eat more than Molly though, even though they might be less active.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 21:35:59 PM »
Thanks for that

Their litter deposists are fine  - they gobble down treats when they are available and both drink water ok.

I just wanted to check but seems there is nothing to be concerned about! In fact ironicall after posting the question I went into the kitchen and the wet food is all but gone - seems they were determined to prove me wrong tonight at least! lol!!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 21:15:39 PM »
Only Misa eats more than that but the other three dont eat that much.

Of they dont move around much they wont need to eat a lot and as long as they have access to water , they should be fine.

I give my cats a pouch a day of Felix and biscuits, They all share a pouch morning and evening but so much gets thrown away and sometimes they dont even eat all the jelly and none of my cats are starving  :rofl:

They do eat more dry food and birmans have purina one fish and moggies Technical  although they all delve into each others biscuits  ;D

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 20:30:15 PM »
I would say that as long as they've been fully checked out then not to worry too much. At 11 they will still be in a transition period from being re-homed and getting used to a new routine, new smells, new everything!

How's their litter tray deposits  :evillaugh: ?

If they're 'normal', then I would say it's all ok.

I know my friends cat only eats one little tin of Hi-Life a day. Mine eats one pouch and some dried and that's it and she's 7 and very sedentary!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cats not eating much!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 20:16:46 PM »
I have two 11 year old rescue babes that have been with me for 5 weeks now.

They were given RC in their foster home and that is what I bought to bring them home to. Except they hardly touched it. So I then gave them some wet as a treat  - which they ate more of but still didn't finnish. I then started them on Hills Organic/natural - whatever its call sorry - the brown bag of Hills. My last wee man loved that except again they hardly touched it.

As Edgar is on constant medication that he needs with food they now have dry in the morning and out all day and wet put down at night. I have tried Oh So Fishy Whiskas for Seniors and some Marks and Spencers stuff - all of which I have mixed with the old food as I know cats don't like change.

We are now in a routine of Hills in the morning and a satchet each at night but I just feel like they are not eating much - certainly only a few mouthfuls of dry and 2/3 of the satchet each.

Should I be concered or is this the norm for two pretty old and pretty sedatory cats???  They are fully vet checked just two weeks ago and no problems!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat