Author Topic: Why won't he come in  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Why won't he come in
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 21:28:07 PM »
Ahh poor baby sounds like he has become unsettled by having people in his house ... I thing you need to rebuild you bond with him and let him know his house is HIS HOUSE!  It might even be worth confining him to barracks for a day or so just to let him see that there is no-one other than his family at home.  Give him lots of love and reassurance ... bascially you need to creep round him and beg for his forgiveness! LOL.

Good luck and fingers crossed Fudgie will be back indoors again soon.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 20:15:55 PM »
my cat smudge was just the same. In the end all visitors were banned from my room that way she only smelt me in there and felt very comfy in there and that calmed things somewhat

Offline fudgie

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:50:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I think you are right there seems to be many things that he is afraid of that are linked to his past, we noticed that he is afraid of anyone wearing black boots. at least he is not far away. He hides in the bushes in the garden and will come out for a cuddle if we call him and will venture in for his food. Hopefully the colder weather will bring him back in and definately no more BBQ's for a while.  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 00:21:30 AM »
I have cats who dont like other people too and you have to be careful.

Misa will come out from his hiding place as soon as the door has closed behind a visitor but Sasa will stay away and she is still upset from going to the vets two weeks ago.

I am sure that Fudgie will come back in to his creature comforts as the weather turns, and you will just have to let him decide when that will be. I assume you have a cat flap and he can come and go himself?

I think if you try to force him back this will make him stay away longer.

It sounds like that in his past lots of people , and events linked have a bad meaning for him and now he has to get his little head back together.

I cant answer about social events cos I dont have any LOL and my cats rule the house and they certainly would not like it.

Offline fudgie

• Kitten
Why won't he come in
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 23:48:13 PM »
 Hope someone can help me? We have a 3 year old rescue cat, we have had him for 2 years  and it has been difficult as he was extremely timid when we got him and it has taken a long time to gain his trust.
We decided to have a BBQ and invite some friends round last weekend much to Fudgie's disgust. He refuses to come in to the house, apart from meal times and spends all his time sleeping outdoors just gracing us with his presence when he feels like it. How do we regain the trust that we built and does this mean we will never again be able to have any social events at home. This has also happened on previous occasions when we have had friends round but he usually forgives us after about 24 hours but it has been nearly a week this time and is very nervous when he comes into the house. Any advice appreciated.

Link to CatChat