Author Topic: CRF cat being funny with his food  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: CRF cat being funny with his food
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »
My cat Clapton has CRF. He is very particular with food now. He is also on one Fortekor a day. He won't eat the prescription food. He was OK on Whiskas senior food for a while (senior food has lower phosphorus so better for CRF cats if you can get them to eat it) but he is like Percy in that he constantly bothers me for food but sniffs it and walks off. Its a case off trial & error as he will eat certain foods ie Tesco own brand pouches in Jelly and Sheba Salmon in Jelly. He seems to have no problem with roast chicken. Its really fristrating as I waste a lot of food but I can't just put a bowl down and say eat it or go without. Last night, I had to try about 6 different foods before he settled for Sainsbury's own chicken & turkey foil tray ( I didn't buy own brand before but have tried everything including most premium brands)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline magic14

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 22:54:31 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply. I will call my vet tomorrow and see what she thinks to using something like slippery elm.
Poor little man, I hate not knowing what is wrong with him

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 22:48:04 PM »
Do you think he could be feeling nauseous?  CRF cats often feel nauseous due to excess stomach acid - my cat Tiggy had CRF and before she was on anti nausea meds she would go over to the bowl eagerly (as she was hungry) but then would turn away after eating nothing or sometimes a few mouthfuls as obviously when you feel physically sick it's very hard to eat.

I would definitely have a word with your vet and see whether they think it could be due to the above, if so here are some there are lots of different solutions....  http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#controlling_stomach_acid

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#persuading_cat_to_eat
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 22:49:21 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline magic14

• Kitten
CRF cat being funny with his food
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 22:33:03 PM »
Hi,

I was hoping someone may be able to give me an insight as to what's wrong with Percy. Percy is 15years old and has CRF, he is on one fortekor tablet a day.
Percy has always been very fussy with his food, he mainly eats Almo Nature tins (only certain flavours  :roll:) and this seems to be the one thing he never gets fed up of.
However, yesterday he started behaving very strangely, he would eat a few mouthfulls of food and then howl at me as if he wanted more, yet he hadn't finished what was in the bowl. First off I left him to it as he sometimes does this and then you turn your back and he scoffs the lot. But it went on most of the day, in the end I sat down by his food bowl and hand fed him - he ate the lot. I then had to do this a few more times later on in the evening.
Today he has been much the same, only eating little bits and even refusing the hand feeding at times.
I can't work out what is wrong, usually he is such a greedy guts and will wolf down a whole tin, very rarely leaving anything. He has also become very very clingy, he is usually a clingy cat but the last few days he has been even more so.
Any ideas as to what could be wrong? These are the times when I really wish animals could talk to us  :(

Link to CatChat