Author Topic: Why do my cats want to jump out of the window?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Why do my cats want to jump out of the window?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 14:34:14 PM »
yes though their suggestion of using the aluminium mesh is well-considered. No plastic coated wire will last the distance. Don't know how many times I had to replace the mesh in the screen doors before moving on, let's just say I am now quicker at it than most installers ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 14:30:17 PM »
They enjoy giving you a fright!  :rofl:

http://www.cataire.co.uk/ make screens for windows to stop cats getting through them. Im not sure that the velcro option would be good enough for mine!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:57:08 PM »
The call of the wild. I had several indoor cats and lived in a high-set house in Brisbane where leaving the windows shut was not an option (too hot, needed the breeze). Carefully selected those windows that had too great a height to tempt the little dears but Claudius discovered that if he jumped from the window to the fuse box to the ground, it was not too high. Others perpetually got themselves trapped on the window sill, unable to turn around. And then there was Bob, who snuck out one night and woke me by jumping up to the window sill, hitting the side of the house, and sliding down, nails scratching all the way ... not a good sound at 3 am. I think it's like dogs and car windows. tehre are interesting smells out there that taste different from that angle ...

What was really frustrating was that if they went out the bathroom window there was a ramp into a large and complex cat run with lots of ledges, textures and layers that they could explore ...

Offline Fauna

• Kitten
Why do my cats want to jump out of the window?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
I try to keep the doors to rooms shut when the window is open.  Last year I forgot one and my youngest cat Mylo jumped from an upstairs window, we were sitting downstairs and saw him fly past.  Fortunately he was fine but I am more cautious now.

This morning my older cat Mickey jumped up on to a window ledge where I had the window open a bit but didn't think it was enough for him to get out.  Fortunately I saw him and managed to grab him but my heart was racing.

I am going to be more careful but why do they do it?  The door was open so he could have gone out anytime but they both seem to be drawn to open windows.

Link to CatChat