Author Topic: licking furniture  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: licking furniture
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 18:30:12 PM »
This is, of course, what the other thread (which I couldn't find) was referring to...glad everyone else was able to help (properly)!

P.s. Good to see you Mark :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 18:22:04 PM »
Licking walls etc is known as Pica and often a sign of an iron deficiency, so could point to anaemia - which itself can be another symptom of something more serious like kidney disease. I agree a vet visit is needed.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 16:54:59 PM »
Sounds like she needs to see a vet urgently  :hug: :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 16:52:45 PM »
steff sadly she is far worse, she won't even let us go near her, so if she goes she will have to be sedated as she is so wild. i'm worried about her though  :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 14:16:55 PM »
Steff is right and that it could signify that something is missing in terms or minerals or something.

I think a vet check is needed cos believe this can indicate a medical problem that needs sorting.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »
Lau, I remember someone ask posted about this question being asked on another forum and was told that cat needed salt and she was angry because this was a wrong and uneducated solution but I can't remember what the correct thing was...nor can I remember who posted the thread or what the thread was called...GAH!!! Sorry, not much help.

From memory the cat was licking the walls, might have been dehydration or lack of certain minerals...I will she if I can find it later :)

Its so hard when their ex ferals isn't it, the boys had to go to the vets yesterday for neutering...one happily walked into the carrier and I had a good 30 mins struggle with TT which resulter in me taking the mattress off the bed so I could get to him!!! I hope Cathie isn't as bad as that *hug*
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
licking furniture
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 23:55:21 PM »
just recently Cathie kitten seems to be licking random objects more and more frequently. it started with licking the door every now and again, then she was licking our bed and now she is licking the walls every night. she eats james wellbeloved dry food primarily and some times fresh tuna, fresh chicken or whiskas simply steamed wet food....but she is very feral so i'm becoming worried that she may need to see a vet but i have no idea how to go about it if so. does anyone know if there are any other symptoms that go with licking objects that i could out for?

Link to CatChat