Author Topic: Kitten with bad breath  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
Re: Kitten with bad breath
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 14:40:24 PM »
A visit to the vet has revealed nothing more sinister than the fact Alfie is losing his milk teeth and his gums are a little inflamed due to his new teeth coming through. He told me it was common for kittens to have bad breath whilst this was happening.

Thanks for all your replies.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »
He is the right age for losing his milk teeth, and some do have red gums at that stage, just not sure about the smelly breath as well. I would get it checked when he is in for neutering, the vet will be able to have a much better look.
Please spay your cat

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 22:40:32 PM »
If the gums are red that may signify gingivitis (low grade gum infection), the smell could signify a more advanced infection. AFAIK oral health is pretty much the same in humans as in animals - teeth and gums are composed of the same basic materials, and they as susceptible to plaque, tartar and cavities just as we are. Please note I do not purport to be a dental expert nor a kitten authority!

A recent thread discussed natural alternatives to a full dental, tho as there is a smell I'd be inclined to get it checked by the vet as you wouldn't necessarily see or feel an infection if it was deep-seated. If you do need antibiotics be sure to purchase some probiotics (beneficial bacteria) such as LactoB, as the ABs will wipe out the good guys as well as the bad guys.
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,35102.0.html

Might also be worth checking your pet insurance policy - most don't cover routine dental work, but given this is a young cat you might be able to argue this is not routine. I don't know how these things work as never had to claim on Noah's policy, but it can't harm to try!  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 19:14:52 PM »
I have opened his mouth and he has some places where teeth have fallen out where the gums are red, but no trapped food or pus. He is eating normally and doesn't seem to be bothered when I press the red parts (yes I did disinfect my fingers before messing about with his gums).

I think maybe I will see if I can get his Vet appointment brought forwards as bad breath is something he has not had until now. I just wanted to check if it was normal for them to go through a bad breath phase when their teeth fell out because it has been so long since I've looked after kittens that I don't remember if any of the others I had did this.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 19:08:51 PM »
Is it possible a tooth has broken off rather than fallen out completely? Is he eating well? Have you tried to look in his mouth to see if there is food trapped in the hole left by the tooth? It is worth learning to prise your cat's mouth open gently whilst they are still young, as it's often the only way to get tablets down!  :evillaugh:

Have you asked the vet to bring the neutering forwards slightly in order to investigate the possible oral health issue? If there is an infection present I don't think the vets will want to put him under an anaesthetic - they won't in humans unless the operation is urgent - so you might need a course of antibiotics first.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
Kitten with bad breath
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 18:40:31 PM »
I have a kitten that has developed very smelly breath over the last few days. I have noticed that he has lost a tooth... one of his milk ones as it got caught in one of his toys he was playing with and was left there. Do kittens that are shedding their milk teeth get bad breath or could it be he has something wrong with him?

He is about 18 weeks old and is due to be booked in to be neutered next week, but should I take him to the vets sooner about his breath?

Link to CatChat