Author Topic: CAT WITH BROKEN PELVIS  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: CAT WITH BROKEN PELVIS
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »
My cat was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with a broken pelvis. He seems to be on the mend as he is walking better, and tries now to fight me when I'm giving him his painkiller which means he's feeling more like himself.
Our problem is that he has gone from being a real 'muncher' to hardly eating anything at all. He has a few nuts (we use Hills Science Plan) occasionally and some water, but won't eat his tinned cat foot which he used to love.
The Veterinarian doesn't think there is any internal damage apart from the pelvis, and he's going outside to urinate/defecate as normal.

To be honest I have never known a cat with a broken pelvis not be ordered complete cage rest,  also perhaps it would be wise to have a litter tray  so you can see how he is managing to wee an poo. As they vet 'doesn't think' there is no other internal damage perhaps it would be wise to return to the vet so the vet can find out for sure.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 22:41:04 PM »
So sorry to hear about your cat :(  I'm surprised though the vet hasn't suggested 6 weeks cage rest  :-:  They do tend to heal quickly but if he's still walking round and going outside, he is probably still in pain and not healing as well as he should........he really should have total rest.  Re the food situation, I would keep an eye on him and if he still seems out of sorts, another vet visit should be in order. this could be due to pain or the warm weather, mine tend to eat more dried when it's warm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 22:43:28 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 22:39:28 PM »
hiya and  :welcome:

did he have xrays taken at the time ??

sometimes cats who have had fractured pelvis can get consitpation problems due to the rectum being slightly comprimised, obviously constipation can make your cat feel bunged up and full and there fore not eat so much..Id ask your vet about it firstly since its only 2 wks after the accident and see if they can prescribe you some stool softener.

also if he is now fighting more with you is he still actually getting his painkiller, pain can also make a cat go off food.

hope this helps but ultimately i'd speak to your vet again.

lynn X

Offline stanollie

• Kitten
CAT WITH BROKEN PELVIS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 22:28:32 PM »
Hi
Hope someone can help.
My cat was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with a broken pelvis. He seems to be on the mend as he is walking better, and tries now to fight me when I'm giving him his painkiller which means he's feeling more like himself.
Our problem is that he has gone from being a real 'muncher' to hardly eating anything at all. He has a few nuts (we use Hills Science Plan) occasionally and some water, but won't eat his tinned cat foot which he used to love.
The Veterinarian doesn't think there is any internal damage apart from the pelvis, and he's going outside to urinate/defecate as normal.
Could there be some underlying mental problem which is putting him off his food?
Does anyone know how we can increase his appetite & desire to eat?
Thanks

Link to CatChat