Author Topic: Nova and his dodgy tummy  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: Nova and his dodgy tummy
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 17:44:21 PM »
I had very similar problems with Bourneville when I first got him and his previous vets prescribed Hills Sensitive which was no help at all. My vets found that he had Giardia and had probably had it since he was a tiny (I got him at 7 months old). He was treated for this but was still left with a sensitive tum, the vets could have done a biopsy to 100% confirm IBS but I didn't want to put him through it and they said there was no need. Instead of buying the pre/pro biotic stuff from the vets my vet actually reccommended that I gave him a teaspoon of natural bio yoghurt twice a day. He loved it and it worked.

Not sure if anyone else has ever tried this 
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 14:53:39 PM »
Teehee yep. Boopy is the cat who you pop her Drontal XL in front of her and she just crunches it up  :sick: When Minxy had to have antibiotics for an infection in her mouth the other year the vet had to give us a few spares as you'd put it down, turn around to grab Minxy and Boopy would have stolen it! Admittedly on the odd occasion Boopy has needed antibiotics it has made life wonderfully easy as she will eat any tablets/capsules you put near her :evillaugh:

Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 14:27:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies I think i'll purchase both the lacto b and the synbiotic capsules.

Lottie, I always thought Mia was a gannet but Luna puts her to shame, when i'm dishing out treats I have to give Luna twice as many as the other two to give them a chance to finish theirs  :evillaugh: - So I can blame Boopy for that can I?   :rofl:

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 14:12:35 PM »
I use Protexin Synbiotic capsules http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-supplements-prebiotic-probiotic-products-c-5_172/protexin-synbioticc-50-x-200mg-capsules-p-1176

Edited to add: If Luna is like her Mummy make sure she isn't around when you give Nova the capsule or you will put the capsule down to get hold of Nova, turn round and find Luna has eaten it for him!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 14:14:07 PM by Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's) »
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 13:33:55 PM »
Lacto B is brilliant and certainly worth a try, dont expect a result over night but give it a few days to start working,,,,,,,,,,,,,they can take it as long as you want cos will not do any harm as ots just a probiotic.

Franta was on it for about 6 months cos every time I stopped it he went backwards,,,,,,,,in his case it was strong abs that had been the cause.

Its a fine white powder and smelless and tasteless and can just be mixed with their wet food.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »
Lacto b is a probiotic powder that you can mix in with food.  I've had success with that in the past.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
Nova and his dodgy tummy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
Since he was a kitten Nova's always had soft/runny stools alternating with normal ones and last year after I noticed blood in a stool I rushed him to the vet and thshe diagnosed IBS.

They gave me the Hills science stuff which caused his tummy to be even worse so weaned him back to normal food.  Since i've had Luna i've had all three cats on Hills kitten food and Nova's filled out a bit which is nice as although the vet said he was fine I thought he was a bit thin, but the past two weeks although the foods not been changed his tummy's worse than normal.  My driving instructor dropped me off at my front door and when I opened the door she could smell it from the pavement  :-[ Normally poop gets cleaned straight away but cant be helped when i'm at work!

I'll be off to the vet with him again but what were the powders and probiotics people have suggested for cats with bad tums before as I may try them.  My poor boy is lovely but very smelly, and i worry about him

Link to CatChat