Author Topic: Quality controls on canned food  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Quality controls on canned food
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »
Sorry to hear you are having so many probs wtih it, the last time I used k/d, it wasn't cake like or dry, it was quite sticky actually, with an odd smell. The healthy cat loved it, the poorly cat hated it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Quality controls on canned food
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 15:42:13 PM »
It's amazing to me that Hills appear to lack basic quality control on their canned foods - or at least I'm talking about the famous feline l/d here. Different batch nos are quite different - some are runnier, some stickier, some induce 2x a day litter tray visits while others not at all or constipation - mostly some need mixing in a bowl with water and are eaten slooowly and with difficulty whereas others (the runny, beefier ones) are gobbled up on the floor.
It's not Swampy's day to day health; it's def the kitty nosh that's different.

The stuff Helen sent me is his favourite (rationed: only 4 cans remain); then the few that I have of exp 09/08 french imports; then the first few french imports, now finished (they are all american anyhow but...); lastly the latest stuff - which I have the most of, of course!!!! - the UK sourced and 07/08 French batch nos, which are similar.  It means that I don't know until I open a can how it's going to be, to add water etc which he doesn't really like. I have to mix 'n match from the cans that I have too, which is crazy and not good for him.

Is there any liver-friendly, tasteless oil that I could add to the stickier food instead of or as well as water? The 'nice' nosh has a bit more oil in the can.

With all the recent scares about cat food in America, it's a bit worrying. Plus they could have stuck to a winning formula but you know all about that!

Btw - Those of you with kitties who've been eating canned K/d or similar over a year or so - have you found any differences in the food? The 'normal' k/d I tried (in vain) was consistently cake like and very dry. What's the chicken k/d like in case the Swampcat tires of glue, poor little guy.

Link to CatChat