Author Topic: Dexter's strange digging behaviour  (Read 1142 times)

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
Re: Dexter's strange digging behaviour
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
Thanks for all you help guys! Think that his digging may be due to sharpeing claws now that they have been cut and he does like digging for duvet mice, especially in the morning  :tired:

Firefox thanks for the suggestion of a flat scratch mat. They have 2 other scratch posts but do like to knead/scratch the carpet in the bedroom so hopefully that may help stop that!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:28:08 AM »
Does it look a bit like scratching? Maybe he is marking his scent and/ or sharpening the claws after you blunted them? Noah has a corrugated cardboard scratcher that sits flat on the floor - £5 Pets at Home - which he uses loads. He doesn't seem to like vertical scratching much, never touched my furniture only the door once or twice (blatently for attention  :tired: ).
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 18:04:24 PM »
Maybe now he doesnt get hooked on everything he can paddle around more... some of mine dig in the duvet looking for the elusive duvet mouse  :innocent:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 16:35:41 PM »
Poot 'paddles' everything which is squishy, his bed, my dressing gown, blankets etc.

Think it just feels nice under their paws  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
Dexter's strange digging behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 15:40:13 PM »
Ok guys not sure if this is the right place to post.....however our 8 month old cat dexter has recently developed a strange digging behaviour.  :Crazy:

As dexter and Cartmen are both indoor cats their claws got too long and needed trimming. After being shown how to do this carefully we now trim their claws when they get too long so that they dig into us, the carpet or whatever they are standing on. However since we have started trimming Dexter's claws he has developed a weired digging behaviour. He starts furiously digging on the duvet, mattress, pillows, cushions, carpet or even his bed whenever he gets there and its so strange, he has never done this before trimming his claws. We are careful to never cut his claws too deep and only take off the tip and Cartmen doesn't do this at all. Do any of your furbabes have this odd digging behaviour? and what does it mean?  :-:

Thanks Abi, Dex and Cartmen

Link to CatChat