Author Topic: Will this work? (litter tray probsl)  (Read 1179 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Will this work? (litter tray probsl)
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
I don't want to tempt fate, but I've had some success with just blocking off the areas he's using.  In the kitchen, he has been going behind the bin (under the sink) so I've place a cat carrier beside the bin blocking access.  He could get over it quite easily if he wanted, but I think the fact that it is in the way should he wander over there with dubious intentions is enough to deter him.  I block the front door with a box when I'm home and that works but obv I can't do that when I go out, and that is when he is generally doing it there.  He's not done it for a few days though (touch wood).  I have experimented with trying to pull the box towards the door as I close it going out, but it's not easy with a stick and a couple of bags!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
Sometimes, Gillian, but it says on the feliway bottle not to use with biological detergents - if using the feliway you are supposed to just clean with water and spirit (I have tried that).  Tbh, when I have tried the feliway, it hasn't made any difference.  I am going to try a plug in feliway there (I have been using the spray) as I've recently realised the plug point near the door is ok - I had thought it was broken but it is only the plate that is a bit broken.  here is no smell to my nose, but I'm sure Jaffa can smell it lingering. Having said that, I'm not totally convinced that it is the smell attracting him back.  Sometimes he walks purposefully towards the door and if I see him I will call him back and he does an about turn and comes and uses the litter tray.  When he does it, he seems to just walk towards the door, turn around and spray without sniffing anything, ie I think he goes there with the intention of spraying.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 22:44:15 PM »
Are you using Feliway spray once you've done all the cleaning down?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 20:47:56 PM »
I triede surgical spirit in London but never ever got rid of the smell completely of visiting cats............and they just laughed at the vets sigh.

I now have two birmans who are getting it wrong, front paws in tray and back paws outside.........sigh

I was going to completly wash that part of the carpet and use simple solution and then put some plastic carpet protector down, and because franta particulaily will spray the tiles, stck it up the tiles too........this is in bathroom,,,,,,probably wont work and I cant do at moment.

Mine are not spraying they are trying to hit the tray but are missing so dont think it will work for you Susanne and just dont know how one gets rid of the smell completely, just hate the smell of surgical spirit now lol.

Oh yes someone on vets recommended tonic water for the smell but that didnt work!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 13:29:04 PM »
I have quite a complicated regime  :tired:  I wipe, rinse and wipe with paper towels.  Then I mop with biological washing powder, wipe, rinse and wipe.  Then I spray with Simple stain and odour remover, leave for 10 mins then blot up and leave to dry.  When dry, I spritz with surgical spirit from a plant mister.   I am sure I'm not getting it all up though as it goes under the door to the corridor outside via a carpet grip and a wooden bit under the door.  I'm sure it soaks into the wooden bit under the door and maybe also the underneath of the door but I can't get  my hand under the door easily.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 13:10:21 PM »
I'm reluctant to ask Susanne as you've probably tried all sorts  :scared: but are you using anything else to try and remove the scent apart from biologocal washing powder as that on it's own isn't enough I don't think.  I usually spray with surgical spirit afterwards but it doesn't half pong  :sick:

As far as positioning trays goes I'm not sure moving it frequently, even just a little, will be helpful.  Not sure you should take any notice of me though coz Freddie came in and pee'd up the bedroom wall the other day whilst I was in bed.  No idea why as hasn't happened for a while  :-:.  I went and got some enzyme zapping spray from vet  :sigh:  VN said it worked for her. Mmmmm.......

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Will this work? (litter tray probsl)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »
Well Jaffa is still spraying the inside of the front door, and occasionally the bin in the kitchen.  Not every day, but regularly enough for me to keep a box of biological washing powder and mop in the bathroom so that I can just fill the washbasin and mop the area (easiest to make sure it gets between the tiles)  :rofl:  I am 100% convinced it is a combination of habit and marking his home due to increased number of strangers with maybe a little bit of Mosi rivalry thrown in.  But I think it is primarily habit now.  I still haven't put his 2nd litter tray in the bathroom as I was waiting for the decorating to finish, but I am going to do that as soon as my zooplus order arrives (containing litter).  As the door to the bathroom is off the hallway and therefore near the front door (right next to the cupboard he has also sprayed although he doesnt' do that any more), I wondered if I should place the tray in the hall way as near the front door as poss (obv when I go out I won't be able to have it right up against the door) and try to redirect the spraying to the tray.  Then I could move the tray gradually nearer the bathroom door, and finally into the bathroom.  Only concern is that I'll be stuck with a litter tray in my tiny hallway forever.  Do you think it would be a good idea? 

Link to CatChat