Author Topic: little bit of blood around bum?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
Re: little bit of blood around bum?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
ok, thank you very much, I will buy him some live yoghurt and chicken and make sure he gets extra cuddles today and keep an eye on him!
Thank you all so much! I was panicking a bit   :Crazy: :Crazy: I do love my Benji

Jen

...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:27:24 AM »
Jen I find live yoghurt much cheaper than the probiotics and most cats enjoy a spoonful with a little chicken in it.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »
Byron was like that on and off when we first adopted her and once a blue moon now, my vet said it's usually a bit of irritation/sensitivity for some reason and not usually anything to worry about.  We've changed her foods though over time so that may have helped but had it been severe or continual I would have pursued it.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:14:41 AM »
Ok, thank you for your reassurances! I will phone the vets when they open and see what they advice, but seeing as taking him to the vet gives him the runs, I don't know if it will just aggravate the situation. Would anyone recommend a pro-biotic added to his food when it is runny to boost his gut flora? or am I just talking waffle?
Jen

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »
When I noticed blood in Alice's poos after I got her, she had all kinds of tests, including sending her poo off to be tested - The vet just said some cats have sensitive bots. Naturally, if it keeps happening or if he seems in pain, that is a different matter. From all the reading I did at the time, it said that blood in cats poo is rarely anything to worry about. In Alice's case, if she eats grass, as passes it, it is enough to make her bleed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:12:01 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
Try not to worry, its probably caused through straining and more common than people realise  :hug: from what you describe no need for emergency vet.

Modified to add always safer to have things checked by vet though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:07:56 AM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
little bit of blood around bum?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »
I am waiting until the vets open and I will phone them, but I was just wondering if anyone could help or offer advice.
Benji had some runny poo (which is not unusual, but I can normally tell why, I've tried a different food or something stressful has happened, but I can't think of anything to cause this) anyway I gave his bottom a gentle wipe with some tissue to get a little bit of poo away and there was a little bit of blood! I can't see any in the actual poo and he seems fine, demanding breakfast, I'm just a bit worried. I have left the poo in the litter tray so I can take some with me to the vets if I need to, just any ideas on what it could be and should I really be phoning the emergency vets?

thanks for any help

Jen

Link to CatChat