Author Topic: Fur Plucking  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: Fur Plucking
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 23:59:56 PM »
Thats what I thought Gill, but I challenged my vet about this and she is adamant that it only kills fleas when they bite.and so the cat comes in contact with flea saliva. As it is a systemic drug as well as being topical.

Also the flea doesnt die straight away as the active ingredient (Selamectin) has to be absorbed by the flea either by biting or through its shell. This gives the flea time to attempt to bite and it only takes the contact of one fleas saliva to cause a reaction.

I do think stronghold is great and on the information leaflet, it states it is indicated for use in the control of flea allergy dermatitis, but I think in some cases it isn't enough on its own.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 00:06:34 AM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 23:57:40 PM »
No Philip that is wrong, Stronghold will kill them if they land on the body at all. In my opinion its the best flea stuff amd was given to me initially for Kocka who had a flea allergy.

Franta did this to his back legs and tummy when he stopped eating after having his teeth done but the vet really didnt know why so would go with one of phillips other raesons. I reckon stress in his case.

Once Franta started eating again the fur just grw back and despite having bouts ot seizures since then he has kept his fur on.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 23:47:37 PM »
Possibly she has a flea bite allergy. The stronghold will kill the fleas but only when they bite. So flea saliva can still cause a reaction. I have recently taken one of my ragdolls to the vets as he lost all his fur at the base of his tail due to a flea bite allergy. He has no redness/scaliness either, but after a course of steriods, his fur has started to grow back. I giving him viacutan as well to help with skin conditioning.

Has she been through some kind of stress recently ? Like a major change in routine perhaps (Psychogenic (neurogenic) dermatitis.

Other causes include ringworm, cushings disease, dietary intolerance, mange, Erythema multiforme, Hyperthyroidism, and atopy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 23:49:41 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Fur Plucking
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 23:36:55 PM »
In the last two weeks, my Maine Coon, Cassie has pulled out all her ruff and massive patches behind her forelegs. Any clues? She is Strongholded, so not fleas or mites, no redness/scaliness to indicate ecxema/dermatitis. I am going to call Vet tomorrow, but it seems weird that she has denuded herself in the last two weeks.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Link to CatChat