Author Topic: heart murmers  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: heart murmers
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 23:58:27 PM »
Hopefully it's a very low grade murmer and won't affect him in the slightest  :hug:

Offline bramble

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »
thanks janeyk, that is a really useful link. the vet didnt say what grade it is, i should have asked him but i was upset at the thought of my precious smudge having something wrong with his heart. our gorgeous little dog jack developed a heart murmer when he was about 12. that was only grade 3 but he died of heart failiure soon afterwards and i cant get that thought out of my head. i know i should and each case is different. but its hard to do.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
Our Squeaky had a heart murmer all his life we think he was probably born with it.  They are graded and his eventually got up to a G4 and although the vet said he'd probably need treatment eventually for it he never did, quite a few peeps on Purrs have or have had cats with this condition infact there was a thread about this which I've found and this may help :

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,25107.0.html
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bramble

• Adult Cat
heart murmers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
took our cat smudge to the vet yesterday, he has an infection in his foot, and the vet said he could hear a dynamic heart murmer. he said it can only be heard when his breathing is rapid. i was really stunned as he is only about 18 months old. he said he could have been born with it. i was shocked and didnt think to aks all the questions that were going through my mind like why had no one heard it before and will it shorten his life. he said they dont usually cause many problems but he couldnt guarantee anything. has anyone else heard of this condition? the  vet said try not to worry but i cant help it!

Link to CatChat