Author Topic: Christmas tree needles dangerous to cats?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
Re: Christmas tree needles dangerous to cats?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »
Thanks guys. I am keeping the door shut now when not around and they are not allowed in the room when they are in playful mood as they are so fast, little terrors. We'll let them in only when they are ready to chill with us on the sofa. That's what we did last night and it worked out well.

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 20:40:55 PM »
Hi Golden Eagle,

Probably best to supervise them when they're around the tree and shoo them away if they start chewing things.
And obviously, keep them out of the room where the tree is when you're not around.

Good luck!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »
According to this, yes http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/toxins.html - apart from the obvious,  the pine oil is phenolic. I would guess they would need to eat quite a few which is unlikely - the sharp points are probably more of a hazard - especially if swallowed.

Poinsetta is toxic to cats as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 19:31:07 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
Christmas tree needles dangerous to cats?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
Hi, sorry if this has already been discussed but we put up our Christmas tree yesterday to kittens' great delight  ;) but then I saw Gandalf trying to eat some of the needles that fell down (he may have even managed to eat some before I noticed). Should I be concerned? If so, is there anyway to stop them other than banishing them from the living room for the next 3 weeks?

Link to CatChat