Author Topic: How do you know if a cat is an Indoor cat??  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: How do you know if a cat is an Indoor cat??
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 20:31:34 PM »
Hi Shirley.

I am totally against keeping cats indoors if they are un-happy...however, I think you really should try with him as that road is so busy and I'm worried you will lose him too hun.
Get loads of toys and even a large climbing station forn him. Remember at the moment is he still a baby and has alot of energy which needs to be stimulated.

xxx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 19:13:29 PM »
TBH Hun after the heartbreak you have just been through with losing 2 babies to the road I would be tempted to try and keep him in xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 16:13:53 PM »
Many cats will react badly to be grabbed in a different environment, so it doesnt mean he will 100% want to be indoor. If you in a situation to offer safe outdoor time then give him the choice and he will decide if he likes it out there. Always bring him in at night and shut the flap off, more accidents happen in the dark  :(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 15:31:50 PM »
When he gets the snip you have to remember that it can take a couple of months for the hormones to subside also, so I would still keep him in till after that, you will see in that time that he may not see the outside world as such an amusing place and prefer to stay in!

Otherwise it a case of learning recall, by using his name or shaking a tin of treats!  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 15:26:03 PM »
any unneutered cat will want to get outside - the raging hormones will see to that, once he is snipped he will probably be a lot more laid back but that the moment he has only one thing on his mind!!!!!

Offline Sparx

• Adult Cat
How do you know if a cat is an Indoor cat??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 15:24:45 PM »
Hi, - hope this is the right place to post this??

We have a 6 month old kitten (male, not yet neutered but will be soon!!) who is very soppy and loving when he's indoors.  He has been outside - twice escaping and I have NO idea how, and once when he ventured a little too far onto the window ledge and fell (windows now not open enough for him to go out!!).

It was an absolute nightmare trying to get him back again.   He refuses to come to you when he's called, we tried feeding him treats to get him closer to us but as soon as he got anywhere near us he would run off again and we eventually managed to grab him.  He screeched and meowed and was absolutely terrified, clawing my poor husband badly in the process.  When we got him indoors he hid away for a while but after a bit came out again and was after more attention.  The last time we taped the cat flap open and he came home himself once he felt brave enough!!

He won't come near Dentabytes now!!  He does sit at the window and look out, or at the cat flap and watch the world go by and I think he's interested in what's out there, but when he is out he seems so scared!

So does this mean he's just going to be an indoors cat, or do we need to train him to go outside and come back when he's called?  If so, HOW do we train him?  Oh, and I don't want to let him out before he's been snipped!!! 

I've never had an indoors cat before so I have no idea!

Thanks everyone.

Shirley.

Link to CatChat