Author Topic: Colitis prone Persian  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Re: Colitis prone Persian
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 17:01:43 PM »
I would love some please Gillian, don't know where to start!   Lily in particular has a little trouble picking her food up.

Thanks very much

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 18:14:11 PM »
Let me know if you want any info about raw feeding.  :)

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 13:49:06 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies  :)

Gillian, I had read one of your posts recently about raw feeding.  A friend of mine raw feeds her GSD - he looks amazing and has none of the tummy troubles that her other two shepherds were prone to.  I am actually a vegetarian but have no problems with the cats eating it!   I don't like them having too much dry food either.

Pickles (my senior puss) has Hi Life and has also had Bozita in the past and loved it.   

Am going to read up a bit more on raw feeding I think - thank you again  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
Persians in particular are very sensitive to the carb content in a lot of foods, especially dry. I'd feed a wet diet with high meat content, like the Applaws he is already having (although that does contain a small percentage of rice), or Hi Life real meat pouches, Nature's Harvest http://www.natures-harvest.org/ (you can get it at PAH), Bozita (from Zooplus). A raw meat diet is also something to consider. If you want to feed some dry (and I wouldnt make that the major part of any cat's diet due to lack of sufficient moisture), you could try the Applaws dry or Orijen, both of which are low carb. My persians all eat a raw diet along with some hi life and a little Applaws dry as a snack and they do well on it.

If you do change his diet I'd do it gradually, adding just a little of the new food at a time and slowly building up to a whole portion, while decreasing the amount of old food, just to avoid tummy upsets.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
Poor boy, one of my cats had diarrhoea if he ate anything other than Purina One, not that I'm advertising it but the CP we adopted him from told us to give him that and they were right anything else we tried upset him - I know others who have had good results with it too and others who haven't but it may be worth a try?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Colitis prone Persian
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
One of my Persians has a very VERY sensitive tum and is prone to bouts of colitis  :sick:  He has had another flare up and has an appointment at the vets but can anyone recommend the best diet to nmanage this?   JWB makes him sick, have tried Royal Canin (digestive and sensible) which did not really make a difference.  He is currently on Burns which helped for a bit.   He has Applaws wet food.

He looks very well in himself, is a good weight and has a healthy appetite.

He is not "going" any more than usual, just once in a morning (not pleasant  :sick:).  His tum gurgles when he is picked up.

Thank you in advance and very sorry if anyone is eating reading this!!! :)

Link to CatChat