Author Topic: Peanuts  (Read 1130 times)

Offline JeanH

• Adult Cat
Re: Peanuts
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »
Thanks all, had tried googling it but kept coming up with sights about cats called peanuts  :-: Have put the peanuts out of Minnie's way and OH has strict instructions to keep them on a high shelf

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 19:50:01 PM »
Id avoid them and find a more catty treat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
if you do a quick google, I think you'll find peanuts are not harmful as such, but the danger of choking is considerable

some people seem to recommend peanut butter, unsalted, as a good way to disguise a pill :shify:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »
Certain nuts can be harmful to dogs such as Macadamia and walnuts, not sure about cats?  but I wouldn't think salted nuts would be good for them anyway. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:42:54 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JeanH

• Adult Cat
Peanuts
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »
This is probably going to sound like a silly question (especially from someone who's had cats for years) but are salted peanuts ok for them?  My OH loves peanuts and there are usually some in a bowl on a table.  None of our cats have ever really bothered with these before but i just stopped the kitten from eating one this morning. I have moved the bowl away because I'm not sure whether or not they're ok for her to eat.  I'm mainly thinking of the salt content but also is would be very easy for one to get lodged in her throat - think I may have just answered my own question.  The possibility of choking will make them a no no for now but if anyone knows if they are ok overall then I will let Minnie have osme when she is older, if she still likes them then

Link to CatChat