Author Topic: Troublesome George  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Troublesome George
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 00:31:10 AM »
In my experience it's quite common for cats to stand in the litter tray and hang their bottoms outside it, hence the mess goes on the floor! One way of teaching them to keep their bum inside the tray is to catch them while squatting and gently manouvre their bum forward into the tray. Speak softly when you do this, don't tell him off.

Maybe a bigger tray would help, or a covered one as has been suggested.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline kateuskat

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 14:41:51 PM »
He doesn't limp or anything. He is making no sense of why he is doing this to me, as today he went and did a no.2 in the tray which he normally goes outside for, and hasn't been doing anything ear the tray in months! Thanks for all yur advice, ill continue my quest to find out what his troubles are..

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:45:42 AM »
I would definitely get a urine sample tested and if he hasn't had bloods done recently, get them done - does he limp? If that is all clear, I would look at changing the tray and litter, but it is vital his health is looked at first - when they get older, they dont always like certain litter.
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54:31 AM »
Maybe go to another vet's for a second opinion ??
have you had His bloods done ? could be a urine infection
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 00:21:09 AM »
have you ever tried a covered litter tray? in case he is going into tray but hanging his butt outside it to wee - it's also possible he is not able to squat now he is getting on a bit, so raises his rear end and sprays urine outwards rather than downwards

covered trays work best if they don't have a seam in the middle of the back, because that can leak if the cat sprays horizontally
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline kateuskat

• Kitten
Troublesome George
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 23:24:23 PM »
I have a problem with my male cat, its been a on off problem for over a year i'd say.
He's 16 near enough and he lives with a female called Tammy and he's always lived with her.

He always used to go outside to the toilet, until bout 3 years ago maybe, when both Cats got scared by a bigger cat, and the had little accidents inside, we introduced a litter tray in our porch, which was fine.

Then just over a year ago Gorge started to wee outside of the tray and on the newspaper underneath, so we removed the paper, and he continued to wee next door to the tray. We thought he may not like sharing, so then put another one next to it. Problem being Tammy would go in whatever, and George still on the floor.

Few months later he started weeing in the living room, so moved his tray in there, but he still missed it, and so we put puppy pads under it to catch it and not ruin the carpet. This hasn't worked and now he just goes on puppy pads!!

Its driving my parents mad and we cant just keep wiping it up. We did take him to the vet about this, but there didn't seem anything wrong.
He only wee's inside though..

Any suggestions?? My current option is trying to move the pads back towards the porch so at least its not on carpet..

Link to CatChat