Author Topic: Advice on hungry cat please...  (Read 1179 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Advice on hungry cat please...
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
If she is one year old and has just recently been spayed then her hormones may previously have been suppressing her appetite and she had other things on her mind that were distracting her. It is important not to overfeed her as, as Rosella says, cats tend to gain weight after spaying anyway. This is simply because if they are eating the same amount (or in your cat's case more) as usual, when they no longer need that many calories to keep them going, then of course they gain weight. If the problem is recent, I suggest you speak to your vet - the operation may have pushed a formerly latent problem into action and it is important to see if that is the case so it can be treated. Please don't give into her demands for food - obesity is very bad for cats. If she is a normal weight, then normal feeding will be more than enough for her. When she is demanding food try distracting her with a game - a feather on a stick or similar that you can use to lead her away from the feeding area and keep her occupied.

Offline munki45

• Adult Cat
  • Missing Munki!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 23:58:41 PM »
Hopefully someone will move it to the right section! Anyone?

We did consider the prospect of worms. Maybe we'll treat her and see if that sorts her out. she's a real greedy little madam!

She's actually just turned 1!

Many Thanks for your reply...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 23:47:21 PM »
Not sure this is in right section?  Hopefully a mod can move it to main health and behaviour?

Meanwhile, has she been wormed recently?  Milbemax seems generally to be the preferred wormer. 

I'm not aware of increased appetite after spaying although think weight gain generally occurs sometime after spaying. How much do you feed her?  Does she have a weight problem?  I think she is about 10 months or so?  Is that right?  So glad she is healing well and otherwise back to normal.

I have a pud who is a devil for food and is always "starving".  I gave in and she certainly is a tubby girl now. So difficult to get a cat to slim down once they put on too much weight.

Offline munki45

• Adult Cat
  • Missing Munki!
Advice on hungry cat please...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 23:34:27 PM »
Hi All,

You may remember me posting a few weeks back regarding cat spaying?

Well, she was spayed, hated the collar but all went well. She was good as gold in the end (minus the collar). The stitches are now out and she's back to normal.

However, she seems to have developed an appetite like I've never known and is literally hungry all the time. No amount of food seems to be doing the trick. We're being careful to a point but we've had to feed her slightly more as she seems distressed by it.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Is it normal after spaying?

Many Thanks....

Link to CatChat