Author Topic: More help with feeding raw diet please?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: More help with feeding raw diet please?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 19:08:00 PM »
Magpies are murderous little birds who will happily steal live chicks and eat them! Beautiful and intelligent but i wish they didnt raid nests  :(

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 18:16:40 PM »
 :thanks: Gillian - I'll look out for some poultry shears..... I'm so delighted that Percy has taken to this raw diet - it feels so 'right' somehow - just hope his voracious appetite doesn't mean I have to take out a mortgage on my (rented) flat???!!
 :rofl: Trigger - that's some  8) magpie u got there?! Puttin his  :P at your furbabes?  That's real  :sneaky: - didn't know they were carnivores too???!!  You didn't wrap the chicken in silver foil, did you??! :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 16:42:40 PM »
I put a raw chicken wing, cut into three, into the enclosure on Saturday - I thought they might think they had 'caught' it if it was outside, but they didn't even sniff it

Sunday morning two smaller pieces had gone, and I got quite excited  - until I saw the magpie returning for the third piece later that day  :rofl: :rofl:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 16:09:09 PM »
Although I'm not an expert meat carver yet  :sick:, I have left some larger bits so that he would need to chew....... Ah well - I'll try upping the amount a bit in the hope he feels satisfied with that  ;).   Percy says     ":thanks: for your support in my bid for "MORE"  :evillaugh::rofl: !

LOL!

You might want to try cutting the meat with poultry shears, I find it easier than trying to cut with a knife.  ;D

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 21:07:50 PM »
Looks like I may be being a bit stingy with the amounts!  I took InstinctsTC's suggestion perhaps a bit too literally (and was therefore dividing the 150gms into 2 meals a day).........Poor, hungry, Percy!  Although he wolfs it down real quick, there's been no sign of it reappearing!! Although I'm not an expert meat carver yet  :sick:, I have left some larger bits so that he would need to chew....... Ah well - I'll try upping the amount a bit in the hope he feels satisfied with that  ;).   Percy says     ":thanks: for your support in my bid for "MORE"  :evillaugh::rofl: !

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 19:46:16 PM »
I usually work on about 100-150g at each meal, based on two meals a day. He's prob finished it all in one go cos its something new and exciting - you need to be careful about that, when they get so excited about raw and wolf it all down quickly, it can be  :sick: straight back up again!! Which is why MM's suggestion of chunking some of the meat is good - slows them down a bit, and also better for teeth. Great that he likes it though  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 19:31:58 PM »
Whats their method? Could you make it into chunks so he has to chew and take his time over it

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
More help with feeding raw diet please?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 18:56:21 PM »
Sorry - I can't find my other post on this topic......I know some of you out there feed raw diets - I finally got the InstinctsTC through the post and got down to making the first batch.  Although it took me hours to do, I believe you get quicker at it?!  Then came the 'trial run'.  I put a dish of the mixture down for Percy - and it was gone in an instant!  You could say he's taken to it like a duck to water........or something?! :rofl:
I was SO happy  :wow: that I didn't have to go thru the whole transitional stage BUT - the amount I give him just doesn't seem to satisfy him at all......his bowl is empty within a couple of minutes, and then he's immediately winding round my legs mewing for more :drool;?!  The consistency of it is quite sloppy (not sure if that may have a bearing on how filling it is?).  He weighs around 4kgs (8.8lbs) and I've weighed out a daily amount of   150gms (which is sort of middling for the amount that InstinctsTC suggest).  He is not a majorly active cat (not that interested in the big outdoors as yet) so I don't want to overfeed him (and, tbh, don't want to incur too much UNNECESSARY cost) but am concerned not to let him 'go hungry' - I fully believe he would eat the daily amount in one sitting if I put it down!  Any suggestions about how Percy and I could come to a compromise, my friends?!

Link to CatChat