Author Topic: Is there something wrong with her?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Is there something wrong with her?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 20:05:37 PM »
Shes torti  :sneaky: and she was raised to play rough, from what iv read cats mature socially around 3years of age so shes now thinking shes high enough to be dishing back what she got as a baby! If any of mine get carried away i blow at their faces and this is enough to stop them in their tracks but i never rough played them as kittens so she will take longer to change her behaviour.

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
Here I go again (I've just prepared this reply once and then somehow deleted it??!!!).  As a NON cat-expert, I  have just read a book by Vicky Halls (a cat 'counsellor'/behaviour therapist) called 'Cat Confidential' and I think it should be a must-read for all fur-babe-mums.  Certainly, I agree that your first priority is a health check as aggressive behaviour can often be caused by pain/illness.  After you get the all-clear, I would echo Gill's suggestion about getting Da Bird from the Purrs shop - in my opinion, the best cat toy ever invented and Percy wants me to say that he  :agree: :agree:!!  This way, you can play with Dayzie at a safe distance, providing her with a more appropriate target! Throughout her book, Vicky Halls says that cats learn their behaviour as kittens, so what you are seeing now could be a result of that kittenish rough-play ...... only increased now that Dayzie is fully grown.  The suggestions in the book are to ignore any 'inappropriate' behaviour - no eye contact, no sound, movement or show of emotion (difficult if you are on the receiving end of those claws?!) - as punishment is ineffective.  Reward Dayzie when she is quiet and restful - but only with soothing sounds and SHORT periods of stroking (don't allow them to be long-enough so that she thinks it is time for more aggressive play).  To help her fulfil her hunting instincts, start by hiding bits of dry food/treats around the place, making it more and more difficult to find as she gets used to the idea (e.g. putting it in paper bags/cardboard boxes).
I hope these suggestions help - do let us know how you and Dayzie get on.  I wish you both well.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 22:31:09 PM »
Yup, the check advice is a very good starting point for sure, just to rule out any health issues which may be making her aggressive.

My boy Max has always had phases where he will lash you, he'll roll over to show you his tummy, you go to stroke him, then suddenly all 4 paws have grabbed your hand and he's trying to bunny kick the heck out of them  :evillaugh:

When he does that, its actually better to say a stern 'no' and let your hand go limp, as they usually stop, if you try and pull your hand away quickly, as I think he sees that as me playing or play fighting with him.

Let us know how you get on  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dayzie

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 22:01:49 PM »
The strange thing is, is that i dont play rough with her anymore, not since she was a kitten
but we did think that she may be in pain and was contemplating a check up
but i will arrange one now

thankyou  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 21:53:00 PM »
i would never play rough with a cat cos it teaches them to attack you.

i have a birman who regularily will try and catch my hands in his claws and also bites for no reason that i know.....but thats just him.

i think to start with you need to get her checked out by a vets to eliminate a health problem. she may be in pain.

i would then play much more gently and try feathers and toys on a stick , like da bird to draw her attention from attacking you.

Offline Dayzie

• Kitten
Is there something wrong with her?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 21:47:13 PM »
Dayzie is coming up 3 and is showing some unusual violent behaviour.
I've always played quite rough with her but thats what she usually wanted but now its going over board. shes been getting her claws out giving me little meaningless scratches and sometimes draws blood. I would have but it down to being a little over excited but her ears go back and still attacks me even when i withdraw.
Its been like this for a few weeks now right after a short cutesy cuddley stage and its confusing me and my mum who i live with.
I always thought that it was because she saw me as a sibling and is playing but shes nearly 3!
Dayzie has always been vocal (I put that down to her siamese side) but its getting beyond a joke now. She is either sleeping or begging for attention with her loud meows.

So is there something wrong with her? or is she just playing up?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 21:50:59 PM by Dayzie »

Link to CatChat