Author Topic: Has anyone used Interferon?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Has anyone used Interferon?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
I paid £70 per injection

Offline Stargazer

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 21:35:43 PM »
Thanks for all your advice everyone.  I will let you know how I get on. xx

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 20:55:56 PM »
Ooooh now yer asking!  It was a good few years ago, BP (before Purrs  :evillaugh:)  I seem to recall that the vial of interferon was about £40 and then the sedation etc was extra - but he was usually being sedated or anaesthatised for other things at the same time so I'm not certain how much that element of it came to.

Offline Stargazer

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 13:39:33 PM »
Hi Fluffybunny,

I was wondering, can you remember how much it cost?  Louis is having it orally for three months.  I don't think it is as effective as it would be injected.  At the moment it is costing me £130 for three months supply, plus the Metacam and the consultation.  Very expensive but I am happy to pay for the pleasure Louis gives me. 

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 19:50:30 PM »
Bit of a late reply, but yes my old Sooty (RIP) used to have interferon injected directly into his gums under heavy sedation.  It was ludicrously expensive but it did seem to make a huge difference and the effect lasted a good few months. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 14:55:20 PM »
 :welcome:

Have you seen dr addies site? http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html steroids are the worse thing for this condition.
One of my cats has similar troubles but his are mainly under control now having had extractions.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
Interferon can be given as a one off injection directly into the gums, the downside is that the cat would need to be sedated and it is expensive,dont know if this helps but hope Louis is soon feeling better.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »
awww, your poor little Louis, sorry I haven't used this maybe someone on here will be able to help or you could just give your vet a call and ask, I woudn't think a tiny bit would harm but not sure.  I hope he manages to pick up soon  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Stargazer

• Kitten
Has anyone used Interferon?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My lovely little cat Louis was diagnosed with Calicivirus as a kitten. As a result he has had reoccurring Stomatitis for the last 5 and a half years of his life. A few years ago, on advice from the vet, we had most of his teeth removed to try to control this condition. He has also been on long acting steroids that seem to help him tolerate the condition for about 6 to 8 weeks.

I recently moved house and got a new vet who suggested that we try him on Interferon. I am very aware that long term use of steroids will not do him good and I am very keen to make his life as comfortable and long as possible. So I agreed to try the Interferon, which was prescribed along with Metacalm to reduce pain.

We have been trying the Interferon for about a month now. The vet advised us to squirt it from a syringe directly into his mouth. This is proving to be extremely difficult because his mouth is quite inflamed still from the Stomatitis so any contact hurts him. He then wriggles and we often don't get it all in his mouth. This is of course extremely distressing for Louis which I want to avoid.

Has anyone used this drug before and found an easy method of administration? Last night I coated a teaspoon with cream and then squirted the liquid onto the spoon which he licked off. But I have read that food should not be mixed with Interferon because it reduces the efficacy. Do you think such a small amount of cream will make a difference?

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Link to CatChat